Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #1041
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I switched out the default Telus wireless router for a new DLink that I got from Costco.
WiFi speeds are suddenly through the roof. It was lagging when I watched netflix before but now seems to hit 25 Mbps consistently.

The only issue is that it has Optik TV seems to have glitches now. When I use the main PVR I get an error that there is no connection and a whole list of steps to correct it. But if I hit guide or menu I can get the tv to work including on demand and PVR. It seems like the box is being stubborn and I will try to play with the connection tonight to see if I can route it differently to make it happy. If I can't get it to work though I think I will cancel the TV service before I go back to the slower internet.

I dread tech support as I am pretty sure they will just blame the router
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #1042
Ethaniel
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I switched out the default Telus wireless router for a new DLink that I got from Costco.
WiFi speeds are suddenly through the roof. It was lagging when I watched netflix before but now seems to hit 25 Mbps consistently.

The only issue is that it has Optik TV seems to have glitches now. When I use the main PVR I get an error that there is no connection and a whole list of steps to correct it. But if I hit guide or menu I can get the tv to work including on demand and PVR. It seems like the box is being stubborn and I will try to play with the connection tonight to see if I can route it differently to make it happy. If I can't get it to work though I think I will cancel the TV service before I go back to the slower internet.

I dread tech support as I am pretty sure they will just blame the router
What I ended up doing with my system is as follows:
Use the Telus Optik Modem for the TV's and branch off the Internet line to the new good router. This makes it so the TV's function for the most part and the internet the way it should as well. Maybe this will work for you too?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kryllyk
http://www.twitch.tv/kryllyk

Playing games on YouTube & Livestreaming on Twitch.tv Check it out!
Minecraft and more!
Ethaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ethaniel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #1043
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What steps did you have to do to setup the d-link? my wireless internet is hideous!
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #1044
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Put the dlink behind the actiontec and turn off the wireless on the actiontec. The dlnk wont be configured to run the STBs.
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsnaP For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #1045
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsnaP View Post
Put the dlink behind the actiontec and turn off the wireless on the actiontec. The dlnk wont be configured to run the STBs.
Thanks,

Does Telus sell a switch that I could use in place of the Action Tec? I am trying to save space and power if possible although not required.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #1046
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothpops View Post
What steps did you have to do to setup the d-link? my wireless internet is hideous!
I ran internet to it then hardwired a laptop to it and logged into the router using the IP address. From there I just followed the setup instructions.

It may be my imagination but the 2.4GHz range seems a bit faster than the 5.0.
The Following User Says Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #1047
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

How can I show only subscribed channels? I talked to a tech a few weeks ago who told me how but I forgot and want to set this on my other stbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 08-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #1048
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

anyone know if this would work with the actiontech?
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...4ffa3da10ben02
I saw it posted in the shaw thread
Old 08-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #1049
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a long time Shaw customer but am considering switching all my services to Telus. Are any of you former Shaw owners regretting moving to Telus?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #1050
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
How can I show only subscribed channels? I talked to a tech a few weeks ago who told me how but I forgot and want to set this on my other stbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
press 'options' on the remote -> favourites lists -> subscribed view
flamesfan6 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #1051
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I am a long time Shaw customer but am considering switching all my services to Telus. Are any of you former Shaw owners regretting moving to Telus?
I switched from Shaw to Telus recently and I was surprised at how good the service was. The only things I don't like are the lack of Internet speeds over 50Mbps and sometimes the audio on the TV will go all weird but it goes away if you rewind for a sec and play again and it's very rare.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #1052
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
anyone know if this would work with the actiontech?
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...4ffa3da10ben02
I saw it posted in the shaw thread
I ended up buying this router, as it was too good of a deal to pass up. I've got it hooked up and running my wireless through it, seen some improvements but not a whole lot, anyone have any tips? I've disabled wireless on the actiontec and added the new router to the actiontec's DMZ list.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #1053
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Improvements with speed or with distance? What exactly are you having issues with?

Do you have a laptop you can use to run inssider on and find a channel that no one else is on...or less people are on?

Also, what is between you and the router? Electrical panel or furnace by chance? They will cause grief.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #1054
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Sorry for the delay! the telus actiontec is right beside the electrical panel, so plugged the modem into it and ran the wire a good 3 feet away and closed the panel door, (which is in my basement). Upstairs (2 levels up) using a wifi channel scanner it shows my network twice (??) one a 99% signal and the other at 60%. right now i pay for 50 up, 10 down and my speeds are 17 up and 10.6 down (which is a huge improvement compared to pre-new router days). I'm just wondering if there is any other steps i need to do to get full use out of this new router, ie bridge mode, DMZ allowance...etc?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #1055
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I switched back in February, and after having an initial bi-polar experience I am feeling better about the switch. Of course, now Telus has gone and switched the channels around into categories and that has me slightly irked.

What I like:
-Way more HD channels for the same price I was paying with Shaw. This is the thing that drew me in.
-Channel sharpness/clarity.
-The idea of the PVR interface/guide. It looks really sharp and is far more informational and visually appealing than Shaw's.
-Record & watch at any terminal. I know you can do this with Shaw Gateway, but doing it through Optik was insanely cheaper.
-Internet consistency. Knock on wood, but service interruptions seem far less frequent with Telus than with Shaw.

What I don't like:
-Contracts to get the good stuff.
-The function of the PVR interface/guide. Slow, unresponsive, and minimal options when setting a recording. Also, the sound gets jumbled every now and again and you have to change the channels back and forth to make it go back to normal. Happens just often enough to be irritating.
-The remote. I know, simple annoyance...but you have to be aimed precisely at the PVR for it to work. Also, it feels so thin and delicate that any slight drop would shatter it...and it's really weighted funny. Also, you can't turn your PVR on/off without turning the TV on/off.
-VOD: mostly the quality of them...it's poor.
-The Telus email system is vastly inferior to what Shaw offers.

Like I said, as I get used to the quirks I feel a little more satisfied with the switch. Most of what bugs me is minor, and I am getting much more for my dollar than I was with Shaw. Internet speeds weren't a big factor in my decision, and I have been happy with the speed I have been getting through Telus (even though I downgraded from 50 to 25 in the switch).

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #1056
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
-The remote. I know, simple annoyance...but you have to be aimed precisely at the PVR for it to work. Also, it feels so thin and delicate that any slight drop would shatter it...and it's really weighted funny. Also, you can't turn your PVR on/off without turning the TV on/off.
You can turn it on by hitting the ok button in the middle. This will turn it on but yes there is no way to turn it off without turning off the TV.
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #1057
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesKickAss View Post
You can turn it on by hitting the ok button in the middle. This will turn it on but yes there is no way to turn it off without turning off the TV.
There is a way although I don't know what it is.
On mine if I hit power it turns off the box and if I select TV then power it turns off the TV
Old 08-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #1058
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone having this issue... from time to time the signal on my box seems to get all messed up and all I see are these little dots on my tv.. kind of like all those grey dots on your screen when you have no signal with that horrible sound. Sorry this is hard to describe... anyways it happens on my upstairs and downstairs tv and it seems the only solution is to unplug the box for 5-10 mins and wait for it to reset fully. Such a pain because I thought it was my hdmi cord at first.. then my soundbar.. then my tv.. only to rule those all out and settle on it being the box. Seeing as it happens upstairs and downstairs... I don't think its the actual cable box itself... good lord I have no idea. It really grinds my gears
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #1059
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

has anyone had their three contract come up? Are you able to sign up for another 3 years and get the free TV?
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #1060
Rapidfire999
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I ended up buying this router, as it was too good of a deal to pass up. I've got it hooked up and running my wireless through it, seen some improvements but not a whole lot, anyone have any tips? I've disabled wireless on the actiontec and added the new router to the actiontec's DMZ list.

It's still on sale for 29.99$

Are you still happy with it? I just got telus installed last friday and I find that my house (only 1500sq ft) has some dead zones. Has it improved your connection at all?
Rapidfire999 is offline   Reply With Quote