Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2021, 11:40 PM   #4101
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Will be happy when they finally pave WB Stoney approaching Macleod Trail...that road is a disaster, especially when taking the right exit to NB Macleod or SB Macleod towards Lethbridge. Excited for the SW leg to be completed this fall, but then I will have to endure 3 years of construction on EB Stoney over the bridge at the Bow River
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:22 AM   #4102
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
Will be happy when they finally pave WB Stoney approaching Macleod Trail...that road is a disaster, especially when taking the right exit to NB Macleod or SB Macleod towards Lethbridge. Excited for the SW leg to be completed this fall, but then I will have to endure 3 years of construction on EB Stoney over the bridge at the Bow River
Ha, that’s nothing. 24 continuous years of construction zones and counting for my commute.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #4103
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

New bridge over the river shouldn't be too bad, with 2 lanes each way on the westbound bridge for the duration of construction while they nuke and replace the eastbound bridge.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:33 AM   #4104
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
keeping in mind that things like the sudden narrowing of NB Stoney at 17 Ave SE from 4 lanes to 2 is a funding decision and not a fault in the ultimate design.
Speaking if that narrowing, has there been any media release saying that construction of the 3rd lane has begun?

Because the work that they have started there in the last couple weeks almost certainly is getting setup to start doing that work. The cable fences are all removed, with the materials being left behind (as if they are intended to go back up after work is done), and a temporary jersey barrier system is now setup in the north bound lanes from just prior to the 17th Ave interchange, where the 3rd lane ends, and has been constructed as of this morning almost to McKnight, with evidence that it’s going a lot further north yet than that.

The only work that I can possibly think if that requires temporary setup like they are doing is adding the lane to the median side.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #4105
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Speaking if that narrowing, has there been any media release saying that construction of the 3rd lane has begun?

Because the work that they have started there in the last couple weeks almost certainly is getting setup to start doing that work. The cable fences are all removed, with the materials being left behind (as if they are intended to go back up after work is done), and a temporary jersey barrier system is now setup in the north bound lanes from just prior to the 17th Ave interchange, where the 3rd lane ends, and has been constructed as of this morning almost to McKnight, with evidence that it’s going a lot further north yet than that.

The only work that I can possibly think if that requires temporary setup like they are doing is adding the lane to the median side.
In the budget it's been indicated they are going to make it 6 lanes between 16th & Airport Trail.

https://www.alberta.ca/assets/docume...on-program.pdf (Page 17)
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2021, 12:55 PM   #4106
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
In the budget it's been indicated they are going to make it 6 lanes between 16th & Airport Trail.

https://www.alberta.ca/assets/docume...on-program.pdf (Page 17)
Awesome, much needed.

Airport Trail will go through all the way to Harvest Hills Blvd next year, so that will be a good connection.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #4107
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah all of Stoney is set up for the widening to be done median side. Sign gantries are all wide enough for the new lane and mainline bridges over 16 Ave are already wide enough. Grading is already done so it's reasonably straight forward with stripping of the soil, pave it over, put the high tension cables back up and call it a day.

Actually a bit surprised they were able to find money for this in 2021 as they're also doing a huge widening on Henday which is way more expensive.

Last edited by Acey; 04-26-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:18 PM   #4108
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Yeah, the reduced traffic on Stoney has mostly made this unnecessary, for the time being anyway. Generally no backups on northbound Stoney in the last year.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:21 PM   #4109
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

dang, was hoping for update on 162nd SW opening
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2021, 05:03 PM   #4110
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Yeah all of Stoney is set up for the widening to be done median side. Sign gantries are all wide enough for the new lane and mainline bridges over 16 Ave are already wide enough. Grading is already done so it's reasonably straight forward with stripping of the soil, pave it over, put the high tension cables back up and call it a day.

Actually a bit surprised they were able to find money for this in 2021 as they're also doing a huge widening on Henday which is way more expensive.
I was almost stunned how fast they added the third lane to NW Stoney a few years back. For all the complaining we do this was actually well thought out. After watching that process vs. a typical City process of similar nature it was night and day. Temp jersey barriers to isolate the work from the traffic and the speed limit never has to drop lower than 80.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 03:39 PM   #4111
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Acey, any chance we'll see the rest of the SW ring road to 22x opened up soon? They've been doing some night work on top soil in the area
Old 05-12-2021, 03:46 PM   #4112
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the SW portion near 22x is scheduled to open this fall.

Any idea what is going on southbound Macleod south of 22x just north of 194th ave? There is construction on the side and it looks like a potential widening (or side road)
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #4113
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

That SW corner is completely ridiculous at this point. I was heading out west a few days ago and took the detour to 53rd, because 37th is closed. First let me say, they should never have allowed the closure of 37th before the ring road was opened, as that detour is just terrible. On that particular day, with no warning the construction for the new community had the road closed for “about 45 minutes”. I can only hope that firm paid a lot of money to inconvenience people who are already completely inconvenienced in that area!

And those lights at 53rd and 22x are simply stupid. Is that the city or the province? I’m definitely writing whoever that is to tell them my thoughts there. Those lights are entirely unneeded. I know, people suggest it’s for the new community, but those lights are nowhere near those houses. There’s no benefit to anyone in having those lights.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 08:25 PM   #4114
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean let’s be honest the whole ring road from highway 8 to way down to 22x is pretty poor. From weird design decisions to dumb speed limits to why the hell did they re paint one lane on a road big enough for 3?!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:28 PM   #4115
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 10:28 PM   #4116
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Few questions that I have. If you could answer that would be great.

Stoney trail/16th ave over COP - when is that expected to be done?

Also - I was coming into Calgary from the west and I haven't been in Calgary for a while and I noticed there was a ton of construction happening west of the city. What in the world are they building there? The road seems like it's going to be massive. Around crestmont/Valley ridge and even more west than that. When's that going to be done?
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:17 AM   #4117
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post
Few questions that I have. If you could answer that would be great.

Also - I was coming into Calgary from the west and I haven't been in Calgary for a while and I noticed there was a ton of construction happening west of the city. What in the world are they building there? The road seems like it's going to be massive. Around crestmont/Valley ridge and even more west than that. When's that going to be done?
Don't know a timeline for the COP area to be done specifically, but the West Calgary Ring Road is scheduled to be done in 2024.

As for what they are doing around west Calgary, this page gives insight. Basically just rebuilding the road to give it more of a gradual slope.

https://westringroad.ca/north-projec...-improvements/
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 09:31 AM   #4118
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I think the SW portion near 22x is scheduled to open this fall.

Any idea what is going on southbound Macleod south of 22x just north of 194th ave? There is construction on the side and it looks like a potential widening (or side road)
Yes I know that's the scheduled opening was hoping those in the know might have insight to it opening for summer traffic. it looks ready to go minus lines painted and some work on 162nd.

Looks like the Ring road could be opened to 22x while they finish the 162nd connection and bridge work.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #4119
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post
The West Ring Road is scheduled to open in 2024. I am not sure if the bridge, or any other segment, is to open sooner than that.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:28 AM   #4120
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

The 22x portion (from what I saw) looks ready to go aside from lines. Maybe theres more to it then that but I watched a construction truck drive that portion and it looked ready. Hopefully they can open it up this summer
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote