Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-30-2022, 07:21 AM   #1161
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

I don't find those arguments very convincing. It doesn't help some of his references are from last summer, such as for this section


Quote:
Furthermore, postinfection immunity has been found to be atleast as effective as vaccination at protecting against disease due toreinfection with COVID19.24An increasingly large body of evidencesuggests that immunity after previous severe acute respiratorysyndrome coronavirus 2 (SARSCoV2) infection is at least as robustas vaccineinduced immunity.25Childhood exposure to SARSCoV2,which, as previously discussed, is generally associated with mild viralillness, may offer protection against more severe illness in adult-hood.26
If you are trying to defend a position, best to base it on relevant current data. As to the bolded bit, from the referenced paper(also outdated now):
Quote:
Using an age-varying reverse catalytic model, we estimated the overall duration of immunity, as measured by seropositivity, to be between 0.9 (95% CrI: 0.6 - 1.6) years and 3.8 (95% CrI: 2.0 - 7.4) years for HCoVís

Like I said, unconvincing. But as we know, nothing will change your mind as you seek out papers to validate your position. Keep it to yourself, lest you happen to convince others and do harm to them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
He has a blue checkmark next to his name, therefore his opinion is important.

Last edited by Fuzz; 03-30-2022 at 07:25 AM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:05 AM   #1162
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up
 
Scroopy Noopers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Plutanamo Bay.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris View Post
The ethics of mandating vaccination for healthy children are not so cut and dry which you and others claim.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...111/bioe.13015
Dude… we need to figure one thing out before you start quoting sources. How is your reading comprehension? Are you having a hard time understanding what people are pushing back against here with your post? It’s verrrrrrrry straight forward. A simple sentence with a clear response that has one meaning. I also never made such a claim…

We aren’t talking about ethics of mandating vaccines.

You seem to be having trouble understanding a simple question you responded too. It sort of feels like a waste of time discussing anything in depth.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 03-30-2022 at 08:07 AM.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2022, 10:25 AM   #1163
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

https://twitter.com/user/status/1508949980727287809


I went Pfi-Pfi-Pfi-Mo, thinking mixing it up might be good.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
He has a blue checkmark next to his name, therefore his opinion is important.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 12:46 PM   #1164
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary, Canada
Exp:
Default


Last edited by curves2000; 03-30-2022 at 03:10 PM. Reason: wrong thread
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:26 PM   #1165
Ashartus
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1508949980727287809


I went Pfi-Pfi-Pfi-Mo, thinking mixing it up might be good.
Purely because of availability I ended up AZ-Pfi-Mo, maybe that turns out to be a good thing.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 11:52 AM   #1166
ikaris
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Exp:
Default

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/med...3abcd909cca14a

I was wondering why it felt my tinnitus was acting up again and it seemed this started to occur when I got my second dose.
ikaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 12:16 PM   #1167
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/med...3abcd909cca14a

I was wondering why it felt my tinnitus was acting up again and it seemed this started to occur when I got my second dose.
Sorry that you are one of the "extremely rare" cases. Bad luck you have.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Looks like you'll need one long before I will. May I suggest deflection king?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2022, 12:24 PM   #1168
getbak
Franchise Player
 
getbak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

"The WHO reported 367 cases of tinnitus and 164 cases of hearing loss among the 11 billion vaccines administered."


You have a better chance of winning Lotto 6/49.
__________________
Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2022, 12:49 PM   #1169
ikaris
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
"The WHO reported 367 cases of tinnitus and 164 cases of hearing loss among the 11 billion vaccines administered."


You have a better chance of winning Lotto 6/49.
That was data when they looked into it in February 2021. When they looked again in November 2021:

Addendum on 24 November 2021
Tinnitus is only listed as an adverse reaction
for the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine.
An updated search of VigiBase has been
performed for the PTs included in this signal
assessment (Table-A) and for the terms with
a positive (>0) IC025 values for each COVID19 vaccine (Table-B).
In brief, the terms selected for hearing
disorders included sudden hearing loss,
tinnitus, deafness unilateral, neurosensory
hypoacusis, deafness, deafness transitory,
and hypoacusis. On 18 November 2021 there
were 37 529 deduplicated cases, for which at
least one of these terms was reported, from
86 countries: 21 countries reported more
than 100 cases; another 22 countries
reported 10-99 cases; 15 countries reported
5-9 cases and 28 countries reported 1-4
cases.

I wonder how many now? How many people are like me who didn't think to report this association because there was no way anything could be related to the vaccine itself... I'll definitely be going to my doctor with this. I'm curious if they say, completely not associated as they often do.

Last edited by ikaris; 03-31-2022 at 12:52 PM.
ikaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 01:13 PM   #1170
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris View Post
That was data when they looked into it in February 2021. When they looked again in November 2021:

Addendum on 24 November 2021
Tinnitus is only listed as an adverse reaction
for the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine.
An updated search of VigiBase has been
performed for the PTs included in this signal
assessment (Table-A) and for the terms with
a positive (>0) IC025 values for each COVID19 vaccine (Table-B).
In brief, the terms selected for hearing
disorders included sudden hearing loss,
tinnitus, deafness unilateral, neurosensory
hypoacusis, deafness, deafness transitory,
and hypoacusis. On 18 November 2021 there
were 37 529 deduplicated cases, for which at
least one of these terms was reported, from
86 countries: 21 countries reported more
than 100 cases; another 22 countries
reported 10-99 cases; 15 countries reported
5-9 cases and 28 countries reported 1-4
cases.

I wonder how many now? How many people are like me who didn't think to report this association because there was no way anything could be related to the vaccine itself... I'll definitely be going to my doctor with this. I'm curious if they say, completely not associated as they often do.
35% of people have had tinnitus in the past year per statscan.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/.../00001-eng.htm
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 01:21 PM   #1171
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris View Post
That was data when they looked into it in February 2021. When they looked again in November 2021:

Addendum on 24 November 2021
Tinnitus is only listed as an adverse reaction
for the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine.
An updated search of VigiBase has been
performed for the PTs included in this signal
assessment (Table-A) and for the terms with
a positive (>0) IC025 values for each COVID19 vaccine (Table-B).
In brief, the terms selected for hearing
disorders included sudden hearing loss,
tinnitus, deafness unilateral, neurosensory
hypoacusis, deafness, deafness transitory,
and hypoacusis. On 18 November 2021 there
were 37 529 deduplicated cases, for which at
least one of these terms was reported, from
86 countries: 21 countries reported more
than 100 cases; another 22 countries
reported 10-99 cases; 15 countries reported
5-9 cases and 28 countries reported 1-4
cases.

I wonder how many now? How many people are like me who didn't think to report this association because there was no way anything could be related to the vaccine itself... I'll definitely be going to my doctor with this. I'm curious if they say, completely not associated as they often do.
Thatís still exceedingly rare. A 0.00041% chance, to put a number on it. And thatís just for tinnitus, which was the most common reported of the terms by far. Even if you say half, or a third, or a tenth of the cases of tinnitus were actually reported, it is still extremely rare.

Then thereís the fact that the majority of cases occurred within 1 day, the rest within 19, and the majority resolved quickly.

So if your tinnitus, which emerged some time after the second dose and still lingers today was in fact related, youíd be experiencing something unimaginably rare. Of course thatís not as compelling as jumping to the conclusion that it must be the cause and your doctor will just brush it off.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 02:30 PM   #1172
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.
 
photon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Obligatory...

__________________
Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position.
But certainty is an absurd one.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2022, 05:00 PM   #1173
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
"The WHO reported 367 cases of tinnitus and 164 cases of hearing loss among the 11 billion vaccines administered."


You have a better chance of winning Lotto 6/49.
"Media bullsheet." -antivaxxers everywhere
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 05:38 PM   #1174
Just a guy
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris View Post
That was data when they looked into it in February 2021. When they looked again in November 2021:

Addendum on 24 November 2021
Tinnitus is only listed as an adverse reaction
for the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine.
An updated search of VigiBase has been
performed for the PTs included in this signal
assessment (Table-A) and for the terms with
a positive (>0) IC025 values for each COVID19 vaccine (Table-B).
In brief, the terms selected for hearing
disorders included sudden hearing loss,
tinnitus, deafness unilateral, neurosensory
hypoacusis, deafness, deafness transitory,
and hypoacusis. On 18 November 2021 there
were 37 529 deduplicated cases, for which at
least one of these terms was reported, from
86 countries: 21 countries reported more
than 100 cases; another 22 countries
reported 10-99 cases; 15 countries reported
5-9 cases and 28 countries reported 1-4
cases.

I wonder how many now? How many people are like me who didn't think to report this association because there was no way anything could be related to the vaccine itself... I'll definitely be going to my doctor with this. I'm curious if they say, completely not associated as they often do.
Don't you know rarity only matters when it supports the narrative! Bring up the likelihood of getting and or dying of covid you are an antivaxxer and are killing people. Bring up a possible adverse affect, then it is only rare and sucks to be you regardless if it occurred after your shot. 1/3 of the people have it so shut up! Having had tinnitus over the years (comes and goes) I sympathize. I have been lucky in that mine only lasts a short time.
Just a guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 06:26 PM   #1175
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Most people: “Rarity is context dependant, meaning it matters based on what is rare, how rare it is, and any cost/benefit analysis when it’s something you’re trying to capture or avoid.”

JAG: “RaRiTy oNlY maTTers iF it SUpPorts yEr nARrATive!”

Brilliant as always.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:57 PM   #1176
Just a guy
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Exp:
Default

I give two examples to prove the point and the dishonest hypocrite comes on to supposedly prove his brilliance. I am unimpressed.

Last edited by Just a guy; 04-01-2022 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Grammar police
Just a guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:08 PM   #1177
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

You gave *two examples to *illustrate your point.

Still on the “I know what you are but what am I” thing huh? Can’t say I’m worried about whether you’re impressed. I’ve seen what impresses you.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:35 PM   #1178
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a guy View Post
Don't you know rarity only matters when it supports the narrative! Bring up the likelihood of getting and or dying of covid you are an antivaxxer and are killing people. Bring up a possible adverse affect, then it is only rare and sucks to be you regardless if it occurred after your shot. 1/3 of the people have it so shut up! Having had tinnitus over the years (comes and goes) I sympathize. I have been lucky in that mine only lasts a short time.
So if you are choosing between which is more likely what do you choose.

Ikaris existing tinnitus is made worse by the vaccine

Or

Ikaris existing tinnitus got worse around the time of the vaccine but was an independent event.

What do you feel is more likely? And what is the basis for your feeling?

For me knowing that 1/3 of people experience tinnitus each year I would in the absence of extraordinary evidence assume no causation between the vaccine and tinnitus. But if such statiscally significant evidence (like blood clots from AZ) existed, I would be happy to acknowledge it

Last edited by GGG; 03-31-2022 at 10:38 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:16 AM   #1179
Just a guy
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
So if you are choosing between which is more likely what do you choose.

Ikaris existing tinnitus is made worse by the vaccine

Or

Ikaris existing tinnitus got worse around the time of the vaccine but was an independent event.

What do you feel is more likely? And what is the basis for your feeling?

For me knowing that 1/3 of people experience tinnitus each year I would in the absence of extraordinary evidence assume no causation between the vaccine and tinnitus. But if such statiscally significant evidence (like blood clots from AZ) existed, I would be happy to acknowledge it
From my experience I generally know what causes my tinnitus to act up. If it did so outside of those conditions then it would be fair to say something else may have caused it.
There are a lot of posters that are assuming that Ikiris does not understand his own condition. That is my point.
You are equating a general average, which you have given me feedback on in the past, to a personal experience.
Just a guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:21 AM   #1180
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a guy View Post
There are a lot of posters that are assuming that Ikiris does not understand his own condition. That is my point.
You are equating a general average, which you have given me feedback on in the past, to a personal experience.
No, there are posters giving context that illustrates the likelihood of Ikaris’s jump to conclusion being correct vs. other causes.

No one is equating the general average to a personal experience. I don’t think you understand the conversation.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:08 PM.

Calgary Flames
2022-23




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021