Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2022, 07:51 PM   #1081
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
25 kids admitted to hospital in the last 48 hours, due to COVID. No way all 25 have comorbidities.
According to the data posted by Alberta Health during the last 120 days 21.6% of the kids under 12 who are hospitalized have a pre-existing condition.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:28 AM   #1082
Hot_Flatus
First Line Centre
 
Hot_Flatus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Uranus
Exp:
Default

I'd really like to know why Health Canada, provincial bodies or NACI are not working to make it much more clear what those of us that have recently had an Omicron infection, despite 2 doses of vaccine should be doing now.

Half the advice out there now says not to rush and to wait several weeks before getting your booster to improve longevity of protection. The other half is saying to go get it as soon as you are recovered. So, what way is it? You want to keep people onboard you certainly need to give clear guidance. Also, if there is a legitimate shortage of vaccines like Pfizer in Canada right now, why on earth would anyone recommend that recently infected take these doses away from others that may need it far more over the next 3-4 weeks?

Do better.
__________________
I hate to tell you this, but Iíve just launched an air biscuit

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 01-13-2022 at 09:31 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 09:33 AM   #1083
Ducay
Franchise Player
 
Ducay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I'd really like to know why Health Canada, provincial bodies or NACI are not working to make it much more clear what those of us that have recently had an Omicron infection, despite 2 doses of vaccine should be doing now.

Half the advice out there now says not to rush and to wait several weeks before getting your booster to improve longevity of protection. The other half is saying to go get it as soon as you are recovered. So, what way is it? You want to keep people onboard you certainly need to give clear guidance. Also, if there is a legitimate shortage of vaccines like Pfizer in Canada right now, why on earth would anyone recommend that recently infected take these doses away from others that may need it far more over the next 3-4 weeks?

Do better.
I think they also need to clarify testing requirements. People are now trying to rush to get formal PCR tests when they do test positive to avoid all the travel testing for 180 days. Rightly or wrongly its impacting testing availability and just compounding problems.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 09:46 AM   #1084
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre
 
Ryan Coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Exp:
Default

Yes, that’s become my plan if by chance my family gets tapped by Covid. Try to get confirmed PCR positive tests, that then make all the travel testing related issues go away.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:34 AM   #1085
Gundo
First Line Centre
 
Gundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Are the kids under 12 vaccines being only booked by AHS or can you book any other way ? Been trying to book online and via phone for my kids but keep getting website issues and registration issues.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:27 PM   #1086
Knut
 
Knut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
This isn't a personal attack as it applies to a large population; but parents/people who worry about COVID for their kids who do not have extreme co-morbidities are doing themselves a huge disservice due to the anxiety, worry, and even moreso those that project the worry onto children as well. The serious illness and mortality rates for kids are so far below other diseases & contagions that no one worries about on a daily basis that COVID should be lumped in with the flu, meningitis, and the lot.

"Hoping we can avoid omicron" - unfortunately it looks like no one will. So prepare as best you can, avoid the vulnerable (who should be doing their best to protect themselves anyways), but go on, live life. Don't worry about COVID as a major risk if you're healthy and kids are. Don't let it add anxiety or stress to your life unnecessarily; its gonna be around for a long time and you're going to get it, vaccinated or not, asymptomatic or not, you'll get it (if you havn't already, and even then).
Thanks for assuming it was anxiety driving us to get the shot earlier.

There is more to it than just that. A Fully vaccinated child, while better protected, also does not have to isolate if a close contact. The also can return to school sooner and travel without having to avoid school/sports for 14 days afterwards.

It is also very likely that the vaccine reduces the severity of the disease, much like the flu shot does.

Miss less school, miss less sports and have a lower chance of severe illness.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 01:37 PM   #1087
PeteMoss
Franchise Player
 
PeteMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SW Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
This isn't a personal attack as it applies to a large population; but parents/people who worry about COVID for their kids who do not have extreme co-morbidities are doing themselves a huge disservice due to the anxiety, worry, and even moreso those that project the worry onto children as well. The serious illness and mortality rates for kids are so far below other diseases & contagions that no one worries about on a daily basis that COVID should be lumped in with the flu, meningitis, and the lot.

"Hoping we can avoid omicron" - unfortunately it looks like no one will. So prepare as best you can, avoid the vulnerable (who should be doing their best to protect themselves anyways), but go on, live life. Don't worry about COVID as a major risk if you're healthy and kids are. Don't let it add anxiety or stress to your life unnecessarily; its gonna be around for a long time and you're going to get it, vaccinated or not, asymptomatic or not, you'll get it (if you havn't already, and even then).
Explain how getting a vaccine for a kid is 'doing themselves a huge disservice'?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:41 PM   #1088
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Explain how getting a vaccine for a kid is 'doing themselves a huge disservice'?
That's... really, clearly, not what he posted.
__________________
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 02:52 PM   #1089
opendoor
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That's... really, clearly, not what he posted.
The two posts he responded to dealt solely with vaccinating kids.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:07 PM   #1090
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary - Centre West
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
The two posts he responded to dealt solely with vaccinating kids.
And his post very specifically commented only on the aspect of people's elevated anxieties around COVID-19 risks for children.
__________________
-James
GO
FLAMES GO.

How to immensely improve the CalgaryPuck experience, click below:

TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:32 AM   #1091
PeteMoss
Franchise Player
 
PeteMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SW Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That's... really, clearly, not what he posted.
Fair I suppose. Although the insinuation is that people who are worried about covid for their kids are riddled with anxiety.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:11 AM   #1092
Draug
First Line Centre
 
Draug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

So, after me exclaiming over the holidays how happy I am that my entire household is vaccinated, including my 4 kids aged 8-16, my anti-vaxx extended family sent me this link to a Fox "News" video.

It's a "Doctor" from MIT's Artificial Inteligence department, imploring that kids should avoid the vaccine at all costs.

She claims it will result in a massive increase in neurodeginerative diseases, such as Parkinsons, because the immune system treats Spike proteins in much the same way with the vaccine and with these neurological diseases.

Does anyone have the time to debunk this for me? Or have they already for the pro-disease crown in their lives? So far, over 2 years, every single shred of "medical proof" they have sent me has been debunked as misinformation or just plain old wrong. I don't have the time right now, and I am just plain old tired of it.

Does she have a point? Can the immune system make a mistake that so easily? She is obviously very learned, but is she a qualified Doctor? There are lots of PhD's out there who know nothing about biology or medicine. My gut says to ignore her. Lol. But I'd like to point out to the relatives that they are wrong once again.

Here's a link to the video, from Fox News, so you know what side it comes from! At least it was only 3 minutes long. Lol.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/6291706975001/

Last edited by Draug; 01-14-2022 at 10:56 AM.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:40 AM   #1093
Buff
Franchise Player
 
Buff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: I don't belong here
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
So, after me exclaiming over the holidays how happy I am that my entire household is vaccinated, including my 4 kids aged 8-16, my anti-vaxx extended family sent me this link to a Fox "News" video.

It's a "Doctor" from MIT's Artificial Inteligence department, imploring that kids should avoid the vaccine at all costs.

She claims it will result in a massive increase in neurodeginerative diseases, such as Parkinsons, because the immune system treats Spike proteins in much the same way with the vaccine and with these neurological diseases.

Does anyone have the time to debunk this for me? Or have they already for the pro-disease crown in their lives? So far, over 2 years, every single shred of "medical proof" they have sent me has been debunked as misinformation or just plain old wrong. I don't have the time right now, and I am just plain old tired of it.

Does she have a point? Can the immune system make a mistake that so easily? She is obviously very learned, but is she a qualified Doctor? There are lots of PhD's out there who know nothing about biology or medicine. My gut says to ignore her. Lol. But I'd like to point out to the relatives that they are wrong once again.

Here's a link to the video, from Fox News, so you know what side it comes from!

http://video.foxnews.com/v/6291706975001/
I got tired of debunking my cousin's claims. I told her that I would rather die of the vaccine and give my kids a life full of pain and anguish because whatever the vaccine will do to us is nowhere near the torture of listening to her conspiracies and lies. I then immediately blocked her on all social media and haven't talked to her for quite some time.

My mental health has been so much better for it. I've got nearly 40 other cousins, no big loss!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 10:43 AM   #1094
looooob
Franchise Player
 
looooob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
So, after me exclaiming over the holidays how happy I am that my entire household is vaccinated, including my 4 kids aged 8-16, my anti-vaxx extended family sent me this link to a Fox "News" video.

It's a "Doctor" from MIT's Artificial Inteligence department, imploring that kids should avoid the vaccine at all costs.

She claims it will result in a massive increase in neurodeginerative diseases, such as Parkinsons, because the immune system treats Spike proteins in much the same way with the vaccine and with these neurological diseases.

Does anyone have the time to debunk this for me? Or have they already for the pro-disease crown in their lives? So far, over 2 years, every single shred of "medical proof" they have sent me has been debunked as misinformation or just plain old wrong. I don't have the time right now, and I am just plain old tired of it.

Does she have a point? Can the immune system make a mistake that so easily? She is obviously very learned, but is she a qualified Doctor? There are lots of PhD's out there who know nothing about biology or medicine. My gut says to ignore her. Lol. But I'd like to point out to the relatives that they are wrong once again.

Here's a link to the video, from Fox News, so you know what side it comes from!

http://video.foxnews.com/v/6291706975001/
not going to watch the video , regarding credentials, well she may be smart (lots of people are) but her PhD (and other degrees) are in Engineering. Her publication record the last decade is very pedestrian, and not in this space at all
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 10:43 AM   #1095
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

I blocked a cousin for a lot less than that.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 10:44 AM   #1096
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
So, after me exclaiming over the holidays how happy I am that my entire household is vaccinated, including my 4 kids aged 8-16, my anti-vaxx extended family sent me this link to a Fox "News" video.

It's a "Doctor" from MIT's Artificial Inteligence department, imploring that kids should avoid the vaccine at all costs.

She claims it will result in a massive increase in neurodeginerative diseases, such as Parkinsons, because the immune system treats Spike proteins in much the same way with the vaccine and with these neurological diseases.

Does anyone have the time to debunk this for me? Or have they already for the pro-disease crown in their lives? So far, over 2 years, every single shred of "medical proof" they have sent me has been debunked as misinformation or just plain old wrong. I don't have the time right now, and I am just plain old tired of it.

Does she have a point? Can the immune system make a mistake that so easily? She is obviously very learned, but is she a qualified Doctor? There are lots of PhD's out there who know nothing about biology or medicine. My gut says to ignore her. Lol. But I'd like to point out to the relatives that they are wrong once again.

Here's a link to the video, from Fox News, so you know what side it comes from!

http://video.foxnews.com/v/6291706975001/
Everyone is getting Covid, therefore everyone will be exposed to the spike protein. Donít really see what this has to do with vaccination.

Sounds like itís based on the recent MS research showing that the Epstein-Barr virus is likely a precursor requirement to get MS.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 03:57 PM   #1097
chedder
#1 Goaltender
 
chedder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Anyone know if kids turning 18 this year can get the 3rd booster shot? A public health nurse told us that they have to actually be 18 not just year of birth (Alberta).
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:07 PM   #1098
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

While the Fox segment is very short, it sounds like she is saying that the spike protein itself could be causing prions in the brain which would lead to neurodegenerative diseases.

One thought I had is that the amount of spike protein produced as a result of the vaccine is relatively small and fixed (a known quantity), while the amount of spike protein produced by covid should you get infected is much, much larger, and continues to grow as the virus reproduces inside your body.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 07:35 AM   #1099
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player
 
Huntingwhale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Wife and I just got boosted with Pfizer. The clinic had Ricky Martin - Living la Vida Loca blasting throughout the clinic. Not sure if it was to lighten the mood or if the nurses were in party mode, but it make things 100% entertaining.

Bit of a sore arm and slightly tired, but we'll see how the next day or so goes.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:52 AM   #1100
Amethyst
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

What would you do?

April - 1st AZ
April - positive for covid
June - 1st Pfizer
September - 2nd Pfizer

Booster? I don't think I qualify until February anyway (5 months post last dose). Pharmacist in Calgary told friend with same history, minus the covid, that the 3rd shot was the booster and she didn't need another one. Vaccination nurse in Saskatchewan told my brother (same history, minus covid) that he did need a booster because shot 2 and 3 were too close together.

Curious to hear what others think of the situation.

Last edited by Amethyst; 01-15-2022 at 09:54 AM.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 AM.

Calgary Flames
2022-23




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021