Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2021, 07:47 AM   #281
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7038e1.htm

This is probably what places are referencing. Not sure where the 77% comes from.
Quote:
VE for the Moderna vaccine was 93% at 14–120 days (median = 66 days) after receipt of the second vaccine dose and 92% at >120 days (median = 141 days) (p = 1.000). VE for the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was 91% at 14–120 days (median = 69 days) after receipt of the second vaccine dose but declined significantly to 77% at >120 days (median = 143 days) (p<0.001).
From the link.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:16 AM   #282
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The lack of consensus around the third booster is kind of annoying me. Fauci likes boosters, FDA says not so fast.

Pfizer pushing hard for boosters but of course they would.

Some days you just feel like this will never end.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:46 AM   #283
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I’m about 140 days from my second shot which was the median in the study. I’m feeling like I want a booster but not sure when.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #284
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
So I’m about 140 days from my second shot which was the median in the study. I’m feeling like I want a booster but not sure when.
I am considering that was well.

AZ first shot, Pf second shot.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:13 AM   #285
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like Moderna is the best one to go with but not sure about mixing RNA vaccines.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:31 AM   #286
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seems like Moderna is the best one to go with but not sure about mixing RNA vaccines.
Yeah, I want Pfizer again for travel purposes as I did AZ round 1...but part of me kinda wants to collect the whole set with Moderna.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2021, 12:34 PM   #287
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The lack of consensus around the third booster is kind of annoying me. Fauci likes boosters, FDA says not so fast.

Pfizer pushing hard for boosters but of course they would.

Some days you just feel like this will never end.
FDA is supposed to be apolitical. It is their job to put the brakes on and make sure everything is approved properly.

Pfizer benefits financially, and has a conflict of interest. If the 3rd booster is approved in an emergency state, they wouldn't be liable either should unintentional consequences arise.

Should also note that the FDA hasn't fully ruled. They just had a panel recommend no approval for the booster unless you're over 65 and at risk. Full ruling is still to come.

I don't understand the play here. Being double vaccinated has been shown to effectively remove the risk of getting seriously sick from COVID. You might still test positive, but it all but fully eliminates serious sickness.

What exactly do we think the booster shot will do? Protect the unvaccinated?

The issue is the unvaccinated, how sick they are getting, and how they affect our health care system. Over and over that has been proven to be true. Even in Israel, where there seem to be more 'cases' among the vaccinated, the unvaccinated still account for a MUCH larger percentage of those people ending up in the hospital.

With the increased knowledge of how to properly treat COVID patients, and continued research we are seeing, I just don't get the push with the booster shot.

Obviously things are different if you don't have the proper shots to allow for travel. I get that part.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:06 PM   #288
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don’t want to catch the virus pure and simple. Don’t want the risk of long Covid. Friends of mine were double vaxxed but still got quite sick and a month later are still suffering major fatigue and dry cough.

As long as vaccines are readily available I see no reason not to get the booster. If it’s a cost thing charge me 20 bucks.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #289
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I don't think its a case of more boosters = better. We'll have to see what the FDA decides, or even what the final decision in Canada is.

Right now it is very evident that if you are double vaccinated, you have a 98% chance of not getting seriously sick from COVID, or even sick at all, and there is say a 75% chance of not even catching COVID at all. (number might be higher even, not exactly sure. Just going by the NPR report today on hospitalization rates for double vaccinated people).

Transmission rate is higher among unvaccinated. If you are double vaccinated and want to lower the chance of even catching COVID, we simply need higher vaccination rates so the virus burns out because there are no more hosts to thrive on.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:57 PM   #290
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don’t want to catch the virus pure and simple. Don’t want the risk of long Covid. Friends of mine were double vaxxed but still got quite sick and a month later are still suffering major fatigue and dry cough.

As long as vaccines are readily available I see no reason not to get the booster. If it’s a cost thing charge me 20 bucks.
Well don’t you want the medical experts to weigh in on a booster? I know I do. It’s likely not as simple as more vaccine is better.

I think if we all agree that following the science is the way out of this, then that is exactly what we should do. So hopefully the scientists are able to deliver a clear message because right now, it’s a little confusing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2021, 08:53 PM   #291
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A bit of a long shot, but does anyone know how difficult it is to get vaccinated in Mexico with a Canadian approve vaccine? We’re trying to persuade an anti-vaxxer but it’s hard to wade through all the misinformation.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:34 AM   #292
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I am considering that was well.

AZ first shot, Pf second shot.
This is easily done by calling 811. If you are AZ Pf vaccinated they will book another Pf for you. Sorry no trifecta. They realize some countries don't recognize AZ and mRNA. I called Thursday and was vaccinated 30 mins later at Brentwood.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BowRiverBruinsRule For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 06:12 PM   #293
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Well don’t you want the medical experts to weigh in on a booster? I know I do. It’s likely not as simple as more vaccine is better.

I think if we all agree that following the science is the way out of this, then that is exactly what we should do. So hopefully the scientists are able to deliver a clear message because right now, it’s a little confusing.
The only reason this has become confusing is because politicians have jumped on the booster train without making sure our scientific bodies are saying the boosters are needed and safe.

If you read what the FDA panel has said, they very strongly say the benefits of boosters do NOT outweigh the risks. Pretty blunt statement, and yet the Biden Admin and the government in Australia and others are openly talking about booster shots as if the science behind it is a given.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:42 PM   #294
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The only reason this has become confusing is because politicians have jumped on the booster train without making sure our scientific bodies are saying the boosters are needed and safe.

If you read what the FDA panel has said, they very strongly say the benefits of boosters do NOT outweigh the risks. Pretty blunt statement, and yet the Biden Admin and the government in Australia and others are openly talking about booster shots as if the science behind it is a given.
This is not entirely correct. They didn’t suggest the benefits don’t outweigh the risks, they suggested there isn’t enough safety data to make a broad recommendation of a booster.

They did recommend it for those over 65 and high risk individuals.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 09:30 PM   #295
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There are also plenty of scientists saying that 3rd doses are (or soon will be) needed. The UK has experts too, and they're recommending boosters for everyone over 50 and those under 50 who are at risk, likely to be followed by the general population.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 09:32 PM   #296
showtime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
A bit of a long shot, but does anyone know how difficult it is to get vaccinated in Mexico with a Canadian approve vaccine? We’re trying to persuade an anti-vaxxer but it’s hard to wade through all the misinformation.
Not that easy. My parents who live in the Puerto Vallarta area had to fly to Houston to get their approved vaccine.
showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to showtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 10:04 PM   #297
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You are mischaracterizing the FDA’s statement here but I agree the politicians have gotten in the way.

The fact is that the FDA is not the single source of scientific information.The NID has been talking up boosters for a while.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:00 AM   #298
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech said on Monday their COVID-19 vaccine induced a robust immune response in five- to 11-year-olds, and they plan to ask for authorization to use the vaccine in children in that age range in the United States, Europe and elsewhere as soon as possible.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/pfize...lden-1.6182150

Coming soon?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 07:38 AM   #299
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The day my six, soon to be seven, year old is vaccinated (well, 14 days after) is the day I REALLY stop caring about the uninterested anti-vaxxers.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:14 AM   #300
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man. As the father of a kid turning 5 in Feb this is good news, but also depressing. So close!
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote