Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2022, 10:50 PM   #3101
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I really love watching this guy. He knows a bunch of a languages and surprises people by speaking their language suddenly. It's really neat seeing the looks of initial bewilderment and then the excited conversations they have with a white American. Not surprised he has 5 million followers, it's a really neat idea and the results are fascinating and beautiful.

That guy is the worst. He didn't start his chanel with any interest in culture or anything. He just wanted to find a formula to get views and make money, which was basically "white guy speaks Chinese and locals can't believe it!". Basically he was all about just exploiting racial stereotypes on both sides to get views and make money.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:51 PM   #3102
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I used to watch his videos. It’s so sad that he’s gone.
I had no idea he passed away. That is really sad. What happened?

Edit, never mind. It came up on Google. He had some amazing talent.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 09-14-2022 at 10:54 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:56 PM   #3103
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
That guy is the worst. He didn't start his chanel with any interest in culture or anything. He just wanted to find a formula to get views and make money, which was basically "white guy speaks Chinese and locals can't believe it!". Basically he was all about just exploiting racial stereotypes on both sides to get views and make money.
Hahaha, I actually had this feeling based on your posts on CP that you'd hate him when I posted that. That's hilarious.

I'm not really cultured or experienced enough with this particular guy to understand what would be insulting about it. I just loved the interactions and apparently millions of others do as well.

Last edited by jayswin; 09-14-2022 at 10:59 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:17 PM   #3104
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hahaha, I actually had this feeling based on your posts on CP that you'd hate him when I posted that. That's hilarious.

I'm not really cultured or experienced enough with this particular guy to understand what would be insulting about it. I just loved the interactions and apparently millions of others do as well.
I have no problem with people who learn a language and use it to make money. DaShan became super famous in China basically for being a white guy who spoke superb Chinese and being great as an entertainer. He legitimately built bridges between Canada and China by doing it and by doing it in a way that was positive. There are lots of white guys and people of other races in entertainment in China who make money with that being part of what's unique about them, and I have no issue with that. But this guy is not that. From people I knew who were familiar with the guy before he launched his channel he was openly just looking for whatever he could do to get views and make money. He didn't give a #### about how people were presented, and he went the most low brow route of casting himself in the role of the white clown and the locals as the ignorant villagers. He was entrepreneurial and smart in finding a market, but he was also totally happy to play up ethnic stereotypes and exploit them to make cash. Can't deny the success of his channel, but I think he's pretty gross.

Old 09-14-2022, 11:24 PM   #3105
jayswin

Exp:

Okay, I can respect that perspective that I didn't have. I have to say though - learning tough languages doesn't exactly scream "get rich quick with some stupid scheme" to me.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:04 AM   #3106
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, I can respect that perspective that I didn't have. I have to say though - learning tough languages doesn't exactly scream "get rich quick with some stupid scheme" to me.
Yeah, learning languages doesn't, but producing shock-based social media content for a wide audience apparently can work really well.

Old 09-15-2022, 12:28 AM   #3107
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

people will cry over anything
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:35 AM   #3108
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, learning languages doesn't, but producing shock-based social media content for a wide audience apparently can work really well.
Okay, but my point was that if people are sitting around thinking of ways to get famous or rich fast with cheap social media stunts - Learning many new languages doesn't seem to be the path, as it's insane time consuming and difficult.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:49 AM   #3109
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, but my point was that if people are sitting around thinking of ways to get famous or rich fast with cheap social media stunts - Learning many new languages doesn't seem to be the path, as it's insane time consuming and difficult.
His Chinese was actually awful when he started. He never had to actually be good at the language to get attention. His talent was much more in finding the right formula for social media success than it was in his language learning. Anyways, his channel is proof enough that it works.

Old 09-15-2022, 01:24 AM   #3110
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
His Chinese was actually awful when he started. He never had to actually be good at the language to get attention. His talent was much more in finding the right formula for social media success than it was in his language learning. Anyways, his channel is proof enough that it works.
Alright, well sorry I posted it, I guess. I don't personally see a person learning many new languages as easy and the reactions and interactions didn't seem to imply "awful", but I guess I'll defer to you as you lived there for awhile, I guess.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:35 AM   #3111
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Alright, well sorry I posted it, I guess. I don't personally see a person learning many new languages as easy and the reactions and interactions didn't seem to imply "awful", but I guess I'll defer to you as you lived there for awhile, I guess.
Haha, sure... whatever. Sorry I apparently hurt your feelings by not liking the same youtube star as you do.

Post whatever you want.

Old 09-15-2022, 11:13 AM   #3112
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, sure... whatever. Sorry I apparently hurt your feelings by not liking the same youtube star as you do.

Post whatever you want.
Hahaha, it was not a hurt feelings issue, just a "wow, didn't see that wall of judgement coming for a fun, language video in the funny pictures thread". I know you have an ax to grind with westerners though, so you do you, man.

Last edited by jayswin; 09-15-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:57 AM   #3113
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
... totally happy to play up ethnic stereotypes and exploit them to make cash. Can't deny the success of his channel, but I think he's pretty gross.
I have been a fan of this guy for a long time. I am really confused by the criticism. What stereotypes is he exploiting? That people don't think a white guy will know their language? That really seems like a stretch to me. Everyone in the videos is treated with respect and seems to enjoy the fact he is talking to them in their own language.

The only possible criticism I could see is when he listens to people talk about him before letting them know he understands. That is a bit offside.

Genuinely curious about what you find gross about him.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:30 PM   #3114
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hahaha, it was not a hurt feelings issue, just a "wow, didn't see that wall of judgement coming for a fun, language video in the funny pictures thread". I know you have an ax to grind with westerners though, so you do you, man.
An axe to grind with westerners? It's that guy specifically who I don't like. I've got nothing against the guy in the other video that FlamesAddiction posted, and I generally think it's cool when people go somewhere, learn the language and then use that to share the experience of life there. I just think that guy in particular is the worst. From the early days of him promoting himself as speaking perfect and fluent Chinese when he was actually a very low-level hack playing up stereotypes for likes and views, I just find him repellant, dishonest and kind of exploitative. He understands social media though, and that's 100% more his real skill rather than language learning.

In a prior era of media, DaShan was the guy who kind of pioneered becoming a big star by being the white guy who spoke Chinese, and I actually admire him and what he did with it and how he did it. You may already be familiar with him, but it's too bad more Canadians aren't, despite him being one of Canada's biggest international stars and being an example really learning a difficult language well. He's old-school now, but he paved the way for a lot of expats to follow him and continues to do so in stand up comedy, which is awesome. So, it's not an axe I have to grind with westerners.

Old 09-15-2022, 12:43 PM   #3115
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

JohnnyB is like the Asian version of the "If it's not Scottish, it's crap" guy, so don't worry if he doesn't like something you like. Might mean something, probably means nothing.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:46 PM   #3116
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Less whining more funny
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2022, 12:48 PM   #3117
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
JohnnyB is like the Asian version of the "If it's not Scottish, it's crap" guy, so don't worry if he doesn't like something you like. Might mean something, probably means nothing.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2022, 03:01 PM   #3118
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Brothers and sisters are natural enemies, like Englishmen and Scots, or Welshmen and Scots, or Japanese and Scots, or Scots and other Scots...

Damn Scots, they ruined Scotland!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #3119
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1570419668501745664

Wild. Bit of a cheat using matches, but they'll get there.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 12:57 PM   #3120
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1570419668501745664

Wild. Bit of a cheat using matches, but they'll get there.
Murray Edwards want to know if they can make pocket dawgs and operate a debit machine.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post: