Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-28-2020, 03:41 PM   #201
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
just need to decide if I want the hassle of storing them.
Any chance one of his old rifles is a Lee Enfield? I have a major soft spot for those.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #202
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Any chance one of his old rifles is a Lee Enfield? I have a major soft spot for those.
It's possible, I would need to check. It's a .303, I don't remember much more than that.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:31 PM   #203
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
It's possible, I would need to check. It's a .303, I don't remember much more than that.
Well that's the correct caliber.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 04-29-2020 at 04:36 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 10:52 AM   #204
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...nman-1.5559321

Will be interesting to hear how much detail comes out overall over this entire event. It's a good thing RCMP didn't accidentally kill someone, I sure wouldn't have wanted to be anyone in uniform in that entire area during that unpredictable tims
Old 05-29-2020, 01:22 PM   #205
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Well this can't be good

Quote:
A newly released document reveals that in May 2011 police were told Gabriel Wortman — the Nova Scotia man who would later kill 22 people in a shooting rampage — wanted to “kill a cop” and was feeling mentally unstable.
https://www.660citynews.com/2020/05/...e-mass-killer/
Old 05-29-2020, 05:21 PM   #206
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I don't know what anyone could have done with that nine years later.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 05:29 PM   #207
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I don't know what anyone could have done with that nine years later.
I think the implication is that they should’ve done something at the time and now they look really bad for ignoring it. The problem is that there’s crazy people like that out there all the time making threats like this.

But you’re right when there’s a nine year delay between the original incident and the shooting it becomes very difficult to say that they should’ve use that information differently at the time.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:30 PM   #208
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Didn't we have people coming forward about their fears of this guy leading up to the shooting?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #209
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Didn't we have people coming forward about their fears of this guy leading up to the shooting?
Yup, quite a few if I remember correctly.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #210
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any idea how many people want to kill cops? A lot. This isn't Minority Report. And we can't throw everyone in jail that is having mental health issues.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #211
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

No, but we can sure as #### investigate and remove illegal firearms from his possession, charge him, and nip it in the bud before, oh I dunno, a whole bunch of people die?
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #212
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
No, but we can sure as #### investigate and remove illegal firearms from his possession, charge him, and nip it in the bud before, oh I dunno, a whole bunch of people die?
Not really. You’re investigating someone for saying something? Mayyyyybe uttering a threat, maybe, but that’s a fairly general statement. And what are you getting a search warrant for in that case? Even aside that difficulty, we’re talking about 9 years... you don’t think in that time he couldn’t just... you know.... get more illegal guns?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:08 PM   #213
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There's going to have to be a deep inquiry into the RCMP on this.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:40 PM   #214
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Not really. You’re investigating someone for saying something? Mayyyyybe uttering a threat, maybe, but that’s a fairly general statement. And what are you getting a search warrant for in that case? Even aside that difficulty, we’re talking about 9 years... you don’t think in that time he couldn’t just... you know.... get more illegal guns?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...-police-gunman

"Brenda Forbes, a former neighbour of the gunman, told the Canadian Press that his violence was known – and feared – in the community.

In 2013, Wortman’s then partner approached Forbes for help after being attacked by Wortman.

“She ran to my house and said Gabriel was beating on her and she had to get away. She was afraid,” Forbes said.

Three male witnesses saw Wortman “strangling her … beating on her,” said Forbes – but none were willing to speak with police, fearing reprisal from Wortman.

“I called the RCMP and I told them what happened, and I said he has a bunch of illegal weapons, and I know because he showed them to us,” said Forbes.

From what I got from the RCMP, because [the partner] would not put in a complaint, as she was scared to death, they basically said, ‘There’s not much we can do. We can monitor him but there’s not much else we can do,’” she said"

Well, it was much more than uttering threats, but you're right. Nothin they can do! Sounds like women problems honestly.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:53 PM   #215
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I was referring to the “kill a cop” statement pretty clearly. But even taken that as it is, some neighbour tells this to police, but neither witnesses nor the victims say a word. What are the cops supposed to do? Where’s the warrant come in? What evidence do they have to get one? What are they searching for?

If I call the cops and tell them you have a bunch of illegal guns and beat your wife, are you going to be ok with them coming in, searching your house, and taking anything that might be considered evidence? Is that bar at a height you’re comfortable with?
Old 05-29-2020, 11:27 PM   #216
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

You're so close here...

1: I cant hold a licence without spousal consent, and a list of previous relationships.
2: I cant/wont have illegal firearms.
3: I have a background check run against my name, every day. If theres ANY complaint of domestic violence you bet your ass I'm getting a visit.
4: I dont beat my old lady, so go ahead and file a false police report.

Your whole scenario hinges on the premise of my ownership of illegal firearms outside the liscencing system. The law wont/cant deal with people like the shooter in question, and the political response is to come after the licenced lawful owners, which does nothing to deal with illegal guns, and does nothing to stop people like the shooter.
Statement of spousal abuse, possession of illegal firearms, but nope. Let's #### sport shooters.

Good thing the better half signed a permission slip for me though, hey? Clearly the main objective here for law enforcerment and legislators is the safety of our womyns.

Last edited by 2Stonedbirds; 05-29-2020 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:30 PM   #217
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the neighbors call the cops and complain of loud music I'll get visit.
aRe YoU oK wItH ThAt?
Old 05-29-2020, 11:55 PM   #218
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
You're so close here...

1: I cant hold a licence without spousal consent, and a list of previous relationships.
2: I cant/wont have illegal firearms.
3: I have a background check run against my name, every day. If theres ANY complaint of domestic violence you bet your ass I'm getting a visit.
4: I dont beat my old lady, so go ahead and file a false police report.

Your whole scenario hinges on the premise of my ownership of illegal firearms outside the liscencing system. The law wont/cant deal with people like the shooter in question, and the political response is to come after the licenced lawful owners, which does nothing to deal with illegal guns, and does nothing to stop people like the shooter.
Statement of spousal abuse, possession of illegal firearms, but nope. Let's #### sport shooters.

Good thing the better half signed a permission slip for me though, hey? Clearly the main objective here for law enforcerment and legislators is the safety of our womyns.
Whoosh man, your obsession with your guns made you stumble past the point. The scenario is this: just because I call the cops and say someone told me you were breaking the law, doesn’t mean they can get a search warrant. You’re missing that key piece of logic between “investigate” and “take his illegal guns” where the cops actually need a way to move the investigation past “keeping an eye on him.” And guess what? When no actual witnesses nor the victim will speak to them, then yeah, pretty tough.

“Ah jeeze they should have knocked on his door like they do when I get a noise complaint and taken all his illegal guns that someone said he said he had!” Not really how the law works, but good effort.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:56 AM   #219
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

In light of protocol surrounding firearms law and intervention in this country, what it takes to get a licence, how much of the act is set up to protect spouses, you would think that maybe, just MAYBE, when the cops get a phone call from concerned citizen about a guy who showed them his illegal firearms, and was whipping his old lady relentlessly, they would at least knock on a door. But nope.
Go apply for a PAL or RPAL and then get back to me on how you think this is how the law should work.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #220
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
In light of protocol surrounding firearms law and intervention in this country, what it takes to get a licence, how much of the act is set up to protect spouses, you would think that maybe, just MAYBE, when the cops get a phone call from concerned citizen about a guy who showed them his illegal firearms, and was whipping his old lady relentlessly, they would at least knock on a door. But nope.
Go apply for a PAL or RPAL and then get back to me on how you think this is how the law should work.
Sure. And again, a knock on the door doesn’t get them in the door which means it doesn’t actually do anything about the illegal guns. He says “no” and they go on their way.

The police took the complaint from Forbes, reached out to interview her properly, and could not get any of the witnesses or the victim to make a statement. Keep in mind, Forbes wasn’t even the person who saw the assault on 2013, and the scenario where the victim told her about the assault happened around a decade prior.

Yeah, in retrospect dreamland you’d hope the RCMP roll in, take his guns, and put him in jail for life so he can’t ever commit mass murder. That’s a nice dream. But in reality, that’s not how things work. And if you want police to have the power to execute a search warrant based on the second-hand account of someone and what could easily amount to hearsay, even when the supposed victims and witnesses to your crime won’t corroborate those claims, then those are your rights to give up.

A friend of mine had his house raided in the US because a neighbour saw “assault weapons” through his window. They were air soft guns. I can tell you how fun of an experience that was or I’m sure you can volunteer for a taste, if you’d like.