The cop was arrested for murder right?
Old 05-30-2020, 01:00 AM   #422
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The cop was arrested for murder right?
3rd degree murder and manslaughter from what I have seen but I'm a bit confused as I thought they were the same. But yes, he has been arrested and charged.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:13 AM   #423
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
So who had Race Riots in the news story that will knock covid off the front page pool?
I'll take "race rioters spread covid" as the story next week.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:18 AM   #424
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never thought I'd actually say this or actually think I'd believe this but those protests need to burn and shut everything ####ing down. I for one am happy the arrest of the officer dis not subdue the protests. How many times have we seen this go down with little or no ramifications for the offending officers ? The oldest for my living memory is 1994 L.A riots . What should have been years was not more than just under a year. Keep this going and show the largest legal gang in America things need to change. Stopping because the arrested to try to stop cicvial arrest is a squirrel tactic( IMO). Don't let #### fo back to normal untill the message has hit a grand slam in the elites minds. The police as a force are that have abused their powers to impose the elites agenda for decades with little regard for the lower class who they interact with daily. The training of you vs them is a terrible approach. The training makes the cowards fear everything makes them trigger happy. The training even though not an offical law makes any disrespect verbally the biggest crime in America where #### like this happens regularly.

Now with that all said the police as an organization do some good things as well... like most corporations they do the food and toy drives yada yada... the consistent problem tho is the ego that builds up in the officers makes them believe they are the law and can enforce ot how they see fit not that the ENFORCE the law as written. Thier beloved union is mostly to blame for this. Judges,prosecutors and City officals are scared to make any meaningful changes as their scared of retaliation from the unions in the future or uncooperative measures in the future. Get rid of police unions and #### will change. Unions are hindering to any situation and often cause more problems than good as ot protects not only the deserving but the scum in to.

This always stuck with me thru life.

The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 01:53 AM   #425
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

When I saw this story breaking out, I thought it was an old incident where it took years to get a judgement or decision. Only to find out it happened 5 days ago.

I was so confused, then it hit.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ld-death-video

Same exact situation, police officers killing a black man by suffocating him, officer not indicted. I knew I saw this before.

This is not even counting the infamous Rodney King incident.

What are you supposed to say, when the same incidents occur over and over again with little to no repercussions?
Old 05-30-2020, 01:55 AM   #426
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
3rd degree murder and manslaughter from what I have seen but I'm a bit confused as I thought they were the same. But yes, he has been arrested and charged.
Only 3 states have 3rd degree murder, hence all the confusion today. This Minnesota county just put away a cop for 12.5 years on a 3rd degree murder charge after he got "spooked" and shot a woman who walked up to the side of his car, the woman who had called them to come out in the first place. If that had been what happened here, the entire Twin Cities would be on fire right now.

My early prediction is that we're looking at 5-10 years for Chauvin. Not really getting my hopes up.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:01 AM   #427
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I know this isn't a good topic to joke about, but I find it amazing that killer is a Chauvinist pig.
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 02:15 AM   #428
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, the fuse on the white house protest will be suuuuper short. They absolutely will not give any effs about wiping that entire crowd out if they get out of hand. In my estimation that might be one of maybe 3 places where you dance on egg shells. Protest only and don't charge the hill.

Blown away at the number of cities with active protests. Good.

Last edited by dammage79; 05-30-2020 at 02:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 03:05 AM   #429
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Well played by The Onion

Protestors criticized for looting businesses without forming private equity firm first
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 05:15 AM   #430
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Really bad idea as they have snipers on the roof...though they may be loathe to use any sort of lethal force.
Shooting protesters strikes me as a sure fire way to really cause these protests to escalate.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:44 AM   #431
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I know this isn't a good topic to joke about, but I find it amazing that killer is a Chauvinist pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Protests have spread to Louisville, Columbus, Phoenix, Denver ...

Steve Miller Band Rock N me........Phoenix, Arizona all the way to Tacoma, Philadelphia, Atlanta, LA. Northern California...

Old 05-30-2020, 07:13 AM   #432
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
When I saw this story breaking out, I thought it was an old incident where it took years to get a judgement or decision. Only to find out it happened 5 days ago.

I was so confused, then it hit.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ld-death-video

Same exact situation, police officers killing a black man by suffocating him, officer not indicted. I knew I saw this before.

This is not even counting the infamous Rodney King incident.

What are you supposed to say, when the same incidents occur over and over again with little to no repercussions?
1,000 people a year are killed by police in the U.S. Only a handful make the national news.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #433
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So is the slogan now “Minneapolis, revolution of our time”?
Old 05-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #434
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #435
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
I never thought I'd actually say this or actually think I'd believe this but those protests need to burn and shut everything ####ing down. I for one am happy the arrest of the officer dis not subdue the protests. How many times have we seen this go down with little or no ramifications for the offending officers ? The oldest for my living memory is 1994 L.A riots . What should have been years was not more than just under a year. Keep this going and show the largest legal gang in America things need to change. Stopping because the arrested to try to stop cicvial arrest is a squirrel tactic( IMO). Don't let #### fo back to normal untill the message has hit a grand slam in the elites minds. The police as a force are that have abused their powers to impose the elites agenda for decades with little regard for the lower class who they interact with daily. The training of you vs them is a terrible approach. The training makes the cowards fear everything makes them trigger happy. The training even though not an offical law makes any disrespect verbally the biggest crime in America where #### like this happens regularly.

Now with that all said the police as an organization do some good things as well... like most corporations they do the food and toy drives yada yada... the consistent problem tho is the ego that builds up in the officers makes them believe they are the law and can enforce ot how they see fit not that the ENFORCE the law as written. Thier beloved union is mostly to blame for this. Judges,prosecutors and City officals are scared to make any meaningful changes as their scared of retaliation from the unions in the future or uncooperative measures in the future. Get rid of police unions and #### will change. Unions are hindering to any situation and often cause more problems than good as ot protects not only the deserving but the scum in to.

This always stuck with me thru life.

I get your point, and I'm onboard with this. But at the end the whole burning it down thing by the protestors only hurts the people that shouldn't be hurt by this.

I remember the Rodney King riots where people that had nothing to do with King or the protests like a Truck driver doing his job was pulled out of his truck by a mob and stomped pretty well to death while protestors stood around and jeered. Or the shop owner in a documentary that had a business neighbor in the neighborhood for years and had paid his taxes and worked hard to feed his family had his business looted and burned down.

Violent protests achieve very little, except for feeding stereotypes.

Burning and looting aren't acts of protests. They don't get a point across, and gives the other side a pulpit to say, look they are what we said they are, and that's why the cops act like they do.

There was a reason why MLK Jr was not an advocate of violent protests, because it achieves nothing, builds community resentment and hatred and fuels racism, not stops it.

I was watching protest clips this morning, and I've said it before, its the job of the protestors to really stop the idiots that show up to loot, or burn or assault or whatever. The protests should bring the protestors together in a common goal, not victimize and destroy the innocent or the bystander.

Seeing young white protestors in masks hotwiring a bulldozer so he can bust windows on stores is not protesting, its violence for violence sake and they get off on it, and that should be your messenger.

The Million Man March worked because it didn't feed into the stereotypes, it wasn't about chaos and burning and beatings, it bought the community together into a common goal.

If your answer to police violence is more violence, what does it achieve, nothing, it just increases the budget of the police, it just ensures that the police will have more brutal responses, it ensures that the National Guard, a formation that's not trained in police work or law enforcement, but riot suppression is bought into play and more people get hurt, and more peoples lives get ruined.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 05-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #436
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy that cop got charged with murder, I don’t fully comprehend why it’s 3rd degree (manslaughter) because it seemed to me that it was intentional, however at least he’s in custody. He needs the full brunt of the law.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 10:44 AM   #437
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I guess the wife filed for divorce and released a statement today as well.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:47 AM   #438
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1266742854266900483

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #439
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Happy that cop got charged with murder, I don’t fully comprehend why it’s 3rd degree (manslaughter) because it seemed to me that it was intentional, however at least he’s in custody. He needs the full brunt of the law.
Burden of proof.

Establishing intent to kill at the moment would be required for 2nd degree. 3rd degree would be that he should have known that his acts could kill, but recklessly disregarded it.

I don’t expect that they could establish that the cop was truly intending in that moment to kill, but more likely could establish that he reasonably should have known the risk of kneeling on a guy’s neck for 8 minutes when that guy is telling him he can’t breathe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #440
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

yeah, I saw that in their press conference this morning, they talked about tracking social media sites talking about getting their loot on and burning everything down.

Closed Thread