Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #2241
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Btw, anyone else giggle a little a bit every time Brian Cage does his "Who better than Brian Cage?" bit? I just yell "Kanyon!" every time he does it.
Every. Single. Time.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 10:34 PM   #2242
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Btw, anyone else giggle a little a bit every time Brian Cage does his "Who better than Brian Cage?" bit? I just yell "Kanyon!" every time he does it.

Kanyon was incredibly talented, and a great worker. I also loved his angle where he imitated DDP.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 11:44 PM   #2243
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Good. WWE wasn't using her correctly anyways, she already reached the top of the NXT women's division (the one that counts), and was basically taking injurious bumps from Nia.

Her husband is part of Los Ingobernables in NJPW and one of the best talents in the world. With Bushido Road owning both Stardom and NJPW, I can see Kairi's final wrestling days happening in both rings. I fully expect her to be at Wrestle Kingdom next year and then calling it a career.

Fantastic talent and one of the best elbow drops in the business.

Io Sharai is engaged to EVIL.
Kairi Sane is married to someone outside of wrestling.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:19 AM   #2244
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Ah, my mistake.

Either way, I expect to see Kairi in Stardom and competing at Wrestle Kingdom next year.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:37 PM   #2245
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds like Kairi Sane leaving isn't set in stone yet and WWE is offering her more money than she could get in another promotion to stay.

https://rajah.com/node/update-kairi-...-contract-stay
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:48 PM   #2246
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The new US title is sexy AF
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #2247
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think this is the third week in a row that NXT has beaten AEW

https://twitter.com/user/status/1281316559885971458

Smackdown 1.77

Raw had 1.68 million viewers.
NXT 759,000
AEW 715,000
Impact 7 dudes named Floyd

Old 07-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #2248
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The AEW guys keep talking about winning the 18-49, so really it's kind of a tie.

NXT wins overall, AEW the key demographic.

One thing that I think does get overlooked though is that NXT still does live on the network too. If you were a NXT/WWE fan that had the network to watch, you might not have changed viewing habits to watch it on USA now.

So I don't think it tells a full story anyways.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:36 PM   #2249
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The AEW guys keep talking about winning the 18-49, so really it's kind of a tie.

NXT wins overall, AEW the key demographic.

One thing that I think does get overlooked though is that NXT still does live on the network too. If you were a NXT/WWE fan that had the network to watch, you might not have changed viewing habits to watch it on USA now.

So I don't think it tells a full story anyways.
Also, with it being on the WWE Network, people may choose to watch AEW live, then watch NXT on the network online afterwards rather than PVRing AEW and fast forwarding through commercials.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:38 PM   #2250
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really wish WWE would work out a deal with Sportsnet to show NXT live. It's not like Canadians are able to watch it legally on the USA Network. I try my best to scroll quickly past WWE posts Wednesday nights but when you have a video of the winner of last night's main event celebrating on Facebook it's pretty tough to not get things spoiled.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 07:20 PM   #2251
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Main reason why I dropped the Network. Can't watch NXT live on Wednesday nights? #### that. Too much media and discussion in 24 hours to be able to ignore when you're a fan. Happy to support AEW on Wednesday nights, especially with a primetime slot on TSN.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 12:40 PM   #2252
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya that change has been super annoying, essentially sportsnet paid them to stop showing it live on the network so they could show a condensed version on fridays before smackdown
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:42 PM   #2253
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think this is the third week in a row that NXT has beaten AEW

https://twitter.com/user/status/1281316559885971458

Smackdown 1.77

Raw had 1.68 million viewers.
NXT 759,000
AEW 715,000
Impact 7 dudes named Floyd
Raws 2nd lowest rating ever I think I saw

They need crowds back in the worst way, for whatever reason AEW and even NXT just feel so much more normal than WWE in the presentation
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #2254
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just to be clear, pretty much all of the numbers are dismal, They had this great opportunity to capture audience when all of the sports went on Hiatus, but really bad television on all accounts and a really poor product on all accounts has effectively hurt the business, and could kill it when other sports come back.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #2255
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sunny re-arrested.

She has had lots of run ins with the law, just being released from prison earlier this year and now she's on the way back. The WWE has paid for her to go to rehab I believe on multiple occassions.

I think this time she's going away for a long time

https://wrestlingheadlines.com/sunny...medium=twitter

Quote:
Jail records show that Sytch currently has no bond. The following charges are listed: Eluding Police Officer, Contempt/Violate Domestic Violence Restraining Order, Operating Motor Vehicle during second license suspension, Contempt/Violate Domestic Violence Restraining Order.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:58 PM   #2256
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Anyone interested in NJPW, EVIL won the New Japan Cup, turned on Los Ingobernables by beating down Naito, joined the Bullet Club, and promptly won the IWGP Heavyweight and IWGP Intercontinental Championships with the help of Dick Togo.

This is a monumental storyline change even by NJPW standards. They finally had someone leave JIJ, unseat Naito only six months after his historic win, and rocketed the overlooked member of LIJ passed SANADA. Looks like Gedo is trying to build a monster heel while KENTA and Jay White are not competing.

This is also the first Young Lion of the 2010's to win both belts, and is likely the first Triple Crown champion with the New Japan Cup win.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 12:22 AM   #2257
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus Christ, can someone please get JR the hell off of commentary? It's beyond painful at this point. Guy kept calling "Fight for the Fallen" "Fyter Fest 2."

Decent enough show. The ending to Cage/Moxley was pretty underwhelming and made Cage look like a nerd.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:41 AM   #2258
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That whole broadcast crew is dragging the show down. Cage/Moxley was rushed probably because of panic over the ratings. They did what WCW did with Hogan Goldberg and gave it away for free and to little effect. Hotshot panic booking over ratings will eventually kill a company.

I watched part of the Knox and Io match when I got home from practice, and what immersed me is I knew that Teagan wasn't going to win, but I was really cheering for her to win. I also noticed that she's not wearing the duel knee braces of doom anymore, hopefully that's a good thing. A pretty good match with good spots. I did love that Kai is back into the title picture, she's the proto Bayley heel.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #2259
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That whole broadcast crew is dragging the show down. Cage/Moxley was rushed probably because of panic over the ratings. They did what WCW did with Hogan Goldberg and gave it away for free and to little effect. Hotshot panic booking over ratings will eventually kill a company.
Don't think the plan was ever to have Cage/Mox be a PPV feed. With AEW only running 4 PPVs/year, there's going to inevitably be some title matches they give away on TV, and I'm fine with that. I think the main issue is they hotshotted Cage into the main event without really building him up. The guy wasn't really a household name coming in, so that didn't make much sense to me.

I'm really not sure what's next for Moxley now. He's cleaned out most of the roster. Archer probably makes the most sense and they had a pretty good match in NJPW, so I definitely wouldn't be opposed to it.

Nice to see the seeds being planted for The Elite turning heel, especially Kenny.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:45 AM   #2260
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I still don't like what they're doing with FTR, they're starting to feel dud like to me, and they do have a serious lack of charisma. Suppossedly they have nuclear heat over an appearance on Corny's pod cast.

I honestly feel like Moxley has stalled, I had really high hopes for him in terms of what he could do character wise after he left WWE and posted that video, but he seems to have fallen into being pretty 2 dimensional, and they ran him through everyone in a hurry. Maybe turn Cody complete heel and have that matchup? Though Cody is really a charisma vacuum in his current character.