Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #81
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tkachuk 6.5x 6 flames get a lower cap hit in exchange for only 2 ufa years
Ritter with 1.85 x 2 show me bridge contract
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #82
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Personally, I wouldn't sign Rittich until after the playoffs.
If he finishes the season at his current pace and doesn't either completely fold or brightly star in the playoffs, I could see him receive $2.5M x 2 years.
If he takes the Flames deep into the playoffs, he'll probably receive an over payment.
420since1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #83
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Last season on this date, there had been 4026 goals scored in 1386 games played league-wide. That equals an average of 2.90 goals scored per game. This season, there have been 4393 goals scored in 1450 games played league-wide. That equals an average of 3.03 goals scored per game...
Can this be right? I see on nhl.com that the League average for scoring is 3.03 goals per game per team, but would that not mean an average of just over six goals per game? It seems pretty common for most NHL games this year to feature at least five goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:49 PM   #84
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Can this be right? I see on nhl.com that the League average for scoring is 3.03 goals per game per team, but would that not mean an average of just over six goals per game? It seems pretty common for most NHL games this year to feature at least five goals.
Whoops. I counted every team's games played, so there's actually been half that many actual games played. Both teams get a "Game Played" in the stats for each actual game played.

Those numbers are the per team average, not per game. They are the correct counts otherwise though.

There are only 1271 total games played in a season league-wide.

Last edited by getbak; 01-17-2019 at 07:54 PM.
getbak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:56 AM   #85
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Could have said the same thing (and people did) about all 3 of Gio, Monahan and Johnny under 7.

I think BT gets Tkachuk in under 8.

But they had shorter terms that fans hoped for (Monny and Johnny).

Tkachuk doesn’t get under 8 on an 8 year term.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:19 AM   #86
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I actually don’t think previous comparisons are going to work for Tkachuk’s camp and a lot of the other RFAs this summer.

I think it’s all going to come down to what Auston Matthews gets. If Arizona jumps in with a stupidly high offer sheet like 15M x 8, then that’ll reset the market. Toronto likely matches like they said they’ll do. Marner then won’t come under $10M because he won’t want to be too far behind Matthews (ala Draisaitl).

Then once those dominoes fall, everyone will set their price shortly after. Tkachuk and his agent could get a really big number depending on how hard they push and how high up Tkachuk finishes in the scoring race.

This could be the craziest summer we’ve ever seen with how strong the UFA and RFA class is.
So you think Toronto would match a & 15M/yr contract and then pay Marner over 10 as well. Apparently the salary cap does not apply to the Toronto Maple Leafs. First off, the Coyotes don't have the money to bring their local boy home. Second, they are moving to Houston anyhow, it is the worst kept secret in hockey. Third, if somehow they did offer Matthews that kind of money they are still a bubble team at best, the Leafs take the 4 1sts and retain Marner.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:00 AM   #87
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
If Riddich agent doesn’t translate a 17-4 record into a 3.5 million + contract then he should find better representation!

Riddich?

Really?
Old 01-18-2019, 07:19 AM   #88
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post

So if you sign him for 6 years and then re-sign for 2, you will end up paying much more than if you sign him for 8 now. Long-term thinking is a better recipe for sustained success.
ONLY if they continue on their upward trend or sustain their "star power". Many young players are not the same player 6 years later.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:25 AM   #89
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Again get it, but this team is entering a window now. What's more important, a manageable number in the next 5 years, or better value on Tkachuk 7 years from now? I'm not saying I know, I'm just saying that I can see a view point where BT might feel prioritizing a lower term and lower cap hit now is best for the Flames.

Not to mention, GMs nowadays aren't guaranteed their jobs 2 years from now let alone 6 or 7 years from now. It wasn't that long ago everyone on here was calling for Brad Trelivings head. Remember that lengthy thread about him "feeling the heat", or something like that?

Why wouldn't a current GM, who has an open window for the next few years wanna open that window a li bit more then worrying about 7 or 8 years from now?
Old 01-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #90
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

People taking about paying Tkachuk $10m are sniffing glue. And not even good glue.

He good, but he’s not “3rd highest paid player in the world” good. Not even remotely close.

$9.5m is Ovechkin money. Nope.

Even at $9m, there’s only 6 players in the league making more than that.

$8.5m still puts in the top 10 highest paid players in the NHL.

He’s the 5th best player *on his own team*, and an RFA. And people are talking about giving him 35% more than Nathan Mackinnon?

No dice.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #91
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57 Contract talks with Tkachuk and Rittich

2019-20 Cap Space:

Gaudreau 6,75 Monahan 6,375 Lindholm 4,85
Tkachuk (____) Backlund 5,35 Frolík 4,3
Bennett (____) Jankowski 1,675 Neal 5,75
Dubé ,778 Ryan 3,125 Czarnik 1,25
Mangiapane ,705

Giordano 6,75 Brodie 4,65
Hanifin 4,95 Hamonic 3,857
Välimäki ,894 Andersson ,755
Kylington ,730 Stone 3,5

Rittich (____)
Gillies ,750

Salary Cap $83,000,000
Cap Hit $69,246,708
Buyouts $1,500,000
Bonuses $747,500
Cap Space $13,753,292

Last edited by David Struch; 01-18-2019 at 08:03 AM.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:06 AM   #92
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Tkachuk being the fifth-best player on his own team is a little rich. To me, he's decidedly third, only behind Gaudreau and Giordano -- and those guys might each be top-15 in the league. Also, salaries are going up with the rapidly-increasing salary cap.

I'm not saying Tkachuk should (or will) get $10 million, but $8 million probably isn't unreasonable. I'd rather the Flames pay him now than when he's past 30.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #93
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Tkachuk being the fifth-best player on his own team is a little rich. To me, he's decidedly third, only behind Gaudreau and Giordano -- and those guys might each be top-15 in the league. Also, salaries are going up with the rapidly-increasing salary cap.

I'm not saying Tkachuk should (or will) get $10 million, but $8 million probably isn't unreasonable. I'd rather the Flames pay him now than when he's past 30.
If I was starting a team today and had my choice of Flames to pick (with their existing contract situation), the 2 that would be at the top of my list are Tkachuk and Hanafin.

But it's clearly open for debate to put Johnny there.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #94
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Tkachuk being the fifth-best player on his own team is a little rich. To me, he's decidedly third, only behind Gaudreau and Giordano -- and those guys might each be top-15 in the league...
“Decidedly”? I think that is overstating things a fair bit. Tkachuk is in the conversation, for sure, but I don’t believe he is definitively a better player than both Monahan and Lindholm. A good case could be made that Lindholm is the most important forward on the team since he excels in all situations—even strength, power play, and penalty kill—and Monahan plays the most difficult position of the top-four.

I agree that Tkachuk is going to cash in, and his number arguably will be in the $8 m range, but the Flames are going to mount a very good case to shrink that number on the basis of where he fits relative to his equally important teammates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 08:40 AM   #95
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
People taking about paying Tkachuk $10m are sniffing glue. And not even good glue.

He good, but he’s not “3rd highest paid player in the world” good. Not even remotely close.

$9.5m is Ovechkin money. Nope.

Even at $9m, there’s only 6 players in the league making more than that.

$8.5m still puts in the top 10 highest paid players in the NHL.

He’s the 5th best player *on his own team*, and an RFA. And people are talking about giving him 35% more than Nathan Mackinnon?

No dice.

9.5 was Ovechkin money. Cap hits go up. Can only use past contracts so much, otherwise, he would be getting paid less than Gaudreau.

Your comparables for him are Nylander, Marner, and Laine.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #96
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
“Decidedly”? I think that is overstating things a fair bit. Tkachuk is in the conversation, for sure, but I don’t believe he is definitively a better player than both Monahan and Lindholm. A good case could be made that Lindholm is the most important forward on the team since he excels in all situations—even strength, power play, and penalty kill—and Monahan plays the most difficult position of the top-four.

I agree that Tkachuk is going to cash in, and his number arguably will be in the $8 m range, but the Flames are going to mount a very good case to shrink that number on the basis of where he fits relative to his equally important teammates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mean, it might be overstating things. But Tkachuk drives the offense on his line at 5v5 and is great at playing a two-way brand of hockey. I'd also pick him first out of anyone on the Flames in a league-wide fantasy draft. I think he has the most value going forward and I think he has more isolated value than either Monahan or Lindholm. The discrepancy is small, but it's there -- but that's obviously just my opinion, nothing more.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #97
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
If I was starting a team today and had my choice of Flames to pick (with their existing contract situation), the 2 that would be at the top of my list are Tkachuk and Hanafin.

But it's clearly open for debate to put Johnny there.
Hanafin over JG or Monny

Legal weed has certainly taken its toll 😜
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #98
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seguin signed for what, 9.85 million in an 8 year deal coming off a 40 goals, 70 point season?

This is what I mean when I talk.about some fans not understanding just how special this year is. When Monahan signed his 6 mill deal, he was scoring ~60 points.

Tkachuk is on pace for 90.

90 points is 90 points. If 75 points can get draisaitl 8.5 playing with mcdavid, 90 will get tkachuk at least that much for carrying his own line.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #99
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
Riddich?

Really?
He's on that team with Monohan, Hanafin and Neil.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #100
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
There are basically no players in the league right now scoring 80 points for cap hits less than 9 million.

Based in this year he's a 10 million dollar player.
Of the NHL's current Top 40 scorers, all on pace for 80-130 points this season, only 6 are being paid 9M+ this season.

Malkin, Ovechkin, Tavares, Crosby, Kane, McDavid
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote