Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Jersey lettering etiquitte

Ok i wanna get my jersey lettered when i come to calgary but i got a couple questions:

1st Which place does a good job and quickly .. i am just there from the 24th til the 4th...

2nd my problem in lettering is the last 2 yrs my fave flames have been gone after that year... 1st it was Amonte, then it was Huselius.... Everybody had Dion, Iggy and kipper and I just dont know who to put on there.... Would it look stupid to put my last name on there??? What is ya'll guys suggestions
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

I doubt you'll be able to get a jersey lettered in that amount of time. Usually takes a couple weeks to get it done.

I have my name on my jersey, I don't see anything wrong with it
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

hmmm wierd... at the fanattic i bought my jersey before a game and they said they would letter it during the game and i could get it back ( cost was 79.99) maybe i mis heard them
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
hmmm wierd... at the fanattic i bought my jersey before a game and they said they would letter it during the game and i could get it back ( cost was 79.99) maybe i mis heard them

Those are just iron on letters as far as I recall. If you're happy with that, then you can get it done then. I prefer the stitched on letters myself
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
henriksedin33
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

its your choice but I always thought people getting their own name put on the jersey is kinda lame....

as for places, I had one done at Great Plains cresting (I think its called) by the airport....cost was around $80 as well IIRC but depends on how many letters and numbers.
henriksedin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:27 AM   #6
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm not a huge fan of getting your own name on the back of a jersey, just a personal preference.

The Flames use Great Plains, and I know that Great Plains can have quick turn around if needed. You can take it directly to them and ask them to rush it for you (I don't know if they charge extra for that), and usually they're really good about it and will get it done in the right amount of time. The other option is to take it to a FanAttic store and ask them to send it to Great Plains for you, and ask the store to rush it. The cost is about the same either way, and if I were you I'd go directly to Great Plains when you get into town and ask them if they can get it done by the 4th. They'll be honest with you and if they say they'll get it done, they will.

As for taking it to a FanAttic during a game...I wouldn't do that. As CMPunk said, it's heat sealed lettering, not sewn on, and the quality just isn't as good.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:44 AM   #7
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got Iginla on my jersey, had it done at the dome outside the fan attic. They ironed it on, which I knew in advance, but now it feels like I'm wearing a box. Really uncomfortable.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:25 AM   #8
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give them a ring beforehand.

That way you can either :
(a) send it to them by post and pick it up on arrival
(b) you'll know if they can do it when you're there

http://www.gpcresting.com/

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&um=...num=1&ct=image

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
Prototype

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriksedin33 View Post
its your choice but I always thought people getting their own name put on the jersey is kinda lame....
I'm considering gettin a few done with my name for the very reason the OP stated. I have a Yelle #11, which sucked when Nolan came to town, and now what? He's gone. Kinda funny that I did wear it to the Boston game.

I'm not in a position to buy a new jersey for the flavour of the month/season. And I don't want to get a #3/#12/#34, for the same reasons as the OP.

I know I'll never lace up the skates for the Flames, but atleast I know that if my name is on the back of the jersey, that name will be with the Flames for quite a long time.

I can understand why people question it, but if I want to get my name done on my jersey, and spend my money doing so, I should be able to without being questioned.

I think the only crested jerseys I have right now, and I have a few, that aren't outdated by a trade or UFA is a #87 Crosby, or my 2000 All Star Pavel Bure.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #10
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You can order cresting from Great Plains' online store from this URL: http://www.gpcresting.com/php/order.php

Send them the jersey, and pick it up when you arrive perhaps.
Iceman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
jayocal
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Putting your own name on a jersey is lame...unless it's on NHL09 though

In real life, I think leaving the back totally blank is a good option. No name, no number. You're not on the team.

Plus, having another dude's name on your back is kind of iffy....unless of course it's Doug Flutie.
jayocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #12
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriksedin33 View Post
I couldn't disagree more. I have my name (nickname actually) on my jersey with #80, which represents the year I became a Flames fan. Since I plan to cheer for this team much longer than Iginla, Phanuef or any other player with play for them, I think it is a good idea to put my own name on the jersey.

Now, putting your name on the jersey with the number 69... that is lame.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure why so many people have an issue with people putting their names on a jersey.

The way I see it, over a period of a lifetime, a lot of fans will be more a part of the fabric of the "Flames" organization than some of the players will. Buying season tickets, PPV's, merchandise, and and lifelong support and passion for the team. Some of the players come in for less than a season and don't even want to be here anyways. Without the fans, the team is nothing.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree with those who think your own name on a jersey is lame. If you don't want to risk someone on your jersey being moved from the team, there is absolutely nothing wrong with leaving it blank. Personally, I almost prefer it.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #15
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've never really cared for names/nicknames on jerseys. I think blank ones look like something is missing, but I understand why people don't want to commit to a player. I rarely wear my jerseys of players who aren't on the team, so they just hang in the closet. Rather than wear a blank or wear an old player jersey, I came up with a different solution.

All but one jersey I've bought since the lockout have been replicas with heat pressed letters. There's just too much player movement now so I'd rather spend less on player specific jerseys. I throw them in the washer and dryer and none of the letters are peeled or lifted. I've heard lots of people tell me the lettering/numbering won't last, but that's not my experience at all.

For the price of one authentic jersey I can get two replicas. That means I can get both my Doughty replica Kings jersey and my (Regehr or Conroy) replica Flames jersey without feeling like I'm being too frivolous.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #16
Ro
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

1- Get it done at the 'Dome Fanattic.

2- Never EVER get your own name, or even worse, a nickname, on the back of a jersey. No excuses.
Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #17
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

People can do whatever they want but I would never put my name on a jersey for the reasons already mentioned. I just have a blank jersey; I've committed to the team/logo, not any player.
kn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:11 PM   #18
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bork!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #19
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I got my Regehr jersey five years ago. Fortunate choice then and fortunate choice now.

Your own name on the back is super lame, but that's just my opinion.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #20
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayems View Post
I got Iginla on my jersey, had it done at the dome outside the fan attic. They ironed it on, which I knew in advance, but now it feels like I'm wearing a box. Really uncomfortable.
I had this problem with a Scott Thornton jersey I had heat sealed letters put on prior to last season. Once I threw the jersey in the dryer they softened up a bit. You're right, that was really uncomfortable. The numbers were wider than I am, so I felt like I was in a big box.

Does anyone know if they can heat seal letters on a women's jersey? I know they have smaller letters for kids jerseys that would seem to fit, but I'm not sure the fabric could take the heat. I'm getting kind of tired of wearing gigantic jerseys. I've resisted the womens for a long time, mostly because of the silk screened logo (gag) but I'm willing to test it out and see how I like it. I don't like plain jerseys, I like a name/number on them.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote