Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Guy looks lazy out there, and deserves a couple games in the press box. Too soft on plays, and loses board battles to easily. With his size, he should be harder to take off the puck.
Trouble is, he was put up there already and didn't have a Frolik-like reaction when he was given another shot. Disappointing, really.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #22
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point I'd rather see Janko down in the AHL. Doesn't help his confidence when he's stapled to the bench for the entire 3rd period. Let him get rolling again and scoring some goals and bring him up later on.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #23
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

The one thing in his favour is the fact that he's only sat out 3 games compared to Hathaway (4) and Czarnik (7). (left shot vs right show sure, but there are options)

They obviously see something in him or they wouldn't be walking him out every night.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #24
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm beginning to think he won't be the best player from the 2012 draft.

Oh, well still better than the Oiler's first overall that year.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #25
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

He needs to up the pace he plays at and especially thinks at. Lots of turnovers and missed opportunities from taking too long to decide what to do. Even going back to when he was a prospect, IIRC that was the biggest thing he needed to improve to get to an NHL level. I think it's getting exposed now under Peters because our pace as a team is so much higher than under Gulutzan.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #26
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The one thing in his favour is the fact that he's only sat out 3 games compared to Hathaway (4) and Czarnik (7). (left shot vs right show sure, but there are options)

They obviously see something in him or they wouldn't be walking him out every night.
He's the best fit for 4th line c, imo, the scratches say a lot.

Conceivably it's easier to scratch Hathaway and czarnik than janko.

I know I/we have remarked previously about this, but I think it is extremely notable that czarnik isn't getting reps.

Janko, Frolik, Hathaway, Andersson have all been seemingly given an opportunity to get back in a game to prove their stuff.

Czarnik is either being held to a much tougher standard, is banged up, or something more substantial is going on behind th scenes to keep him out of the lineup.

It will be interesting to see the minutes and situations he gets when he is next in the lineup.

Last edited by Flash Walken; 11-07-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:43 AM   #27
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

At moments this season he has had strong play. This gives me hope that he will be a contributor to the Flames success this year. The season is young still, he doesn't need to be a 17 goal scorer every year, a 30 point season from Janko would look good on this team.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:49 AM   #28
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
He's the best fit for 4th line c, imo, the scratches say a lot.

Conceivably it's easier to scratch Hathaway and czarnik than janko.

I know I/we have remarked previously about this, but I think it is extremely notable that czarnik isn't getting reps.

Janko, Frolik, Hathaway, Andersson have all been seemingly given an opportunity to get back in a game to prove their stuff.

Czarnik is either being held to a much tougher standard, is banged up, or something more substantial is going on behind th scenes to keep him out of the lineup.

It will be interesting to see the minutes and situations he gets when he is next in the lineup.
Different players have different check marks too.

They like Hathaways snarl so as long as he's pissy he seems to stay in. Czarnik hasn't created a lot when he's been in, his underlying numbers are good but he played with Tkachuk and Backlund so that probably doesn't say a lot, and I guess they're aware of that.

Looks like he's in tonight though. Will be interesting to see what he does.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #29
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sophomore slump. But also I thought his 17 goal season was a bit overblown last season. Take away the final 4 goal game, and suddenly 13 goals isn't exactly mind blowing. I think that final 4 goal game got him a bit of an extra payday. Truthfully $1.675 million cap hit was more then what I expected. l'm not saying he's complacent because of that. But history shows us that players who might get a bit of an over-payment often fail to live up to it.

I think the team thought he might take a step forward. But sophomore slumps are very real and we've been spoiled recently with good players who haven't gone through one themselves. Monahan, Tkachuk, Gaudreau and Ferland for example. All had better #2 seasons. Sometimes we forget just how hard of a league it is to play in, especially when you're running on adrenaline and fighting for a roster spot as a rookie. Janko's spot was pretty much guaranteed to him this season so maybe mentally he didn't need to battle as hard as he did last season.

Not at all worried about him though. He's still only in his 2nd season and not everyone is linear in progression. He'll never be the #1C Feaster claimed him to be. But the team doesn't need him to be.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #30
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He's bringing nothing to the line up right now. Which is dissapointing because he has the tools. I'm hoping Czarnik comes out flying tonight.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #31
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow lots of posters jumping all over the kid, not that his play hasn’t invited criticism. I have not been impressed with his ‘jam’ so far but am a big believer in him.

From my eye test I see a guy who needs to find a way to make an impact when his finesse or skill game isn’t on. I agree that if he tightens up defensively -be harder to play against the chances will come
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #32
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

For one thing, he's a C. Unless you play Bennett or Lindholm at centre, or maybe Dube, Jankowski has to slot in. Czarnik and Hathaway aren't really his competition as long as he's slotted as a centre.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #33
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If I remember correctly, the knock on him in the AHL was consistency. He has all of the ability to be a really good player, but he needs to learn that to be an effective pro, he needs to bring it every night.

We see flashes every once in awhile, but too often he is invisible. I think last year he benefited a lot from bulldog Bennett puck retrieval. I have hope that he's still going to be something.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #34
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
At this point I'd rather see Janko down in the AHL. Doesn't help his confidence when he's stapled to the bench for the entire 3rd period. Let him get rolling again and scoring some goals and bring him up later on.
He wouldn't pass waivers.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #35
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mark Jankowski is no Derek Ryan, that is for sure. /snark
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #36
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
He'd have to go on waivers and I'm guessing someone would pick him up for free. Perhaps he should start the transition to the wing? He's below average on the dot (47-48%) and it might force him to use his size and be a little more engaged by playing a more direct, physical game...
I thought he had one more season of waiver eligibility so yeah he probably gets picked up. If he played up to his size at least he would be more effective when he's not scoring but it's seems he has a little Joe Colborne in him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:11 PM   #37
sundown
Draft Pick

I think his production is partly due to ice time. Gully would continue to roll 4 lines last year regardless of the score. This year Janko is a casualty of Peters shortening the bench when the team has been behind going into the third period. If the flames stop playing from behind so often I think we would see his ice time and production go up.
sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #38
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I Just keep forgetting he's even playing.
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #39
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
a combination of a sophomore slump, team depth and Derek Ryan being a coaches favourite, I guess. He'll turn it around, the talent is there.
....and overly high expectations for guy that looks more like bottom 6 than middle 6. I don't think the talent is there to be much more, but that's just me. NHLer for sure. But i don't see him being much beyond a 35 point guy.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #40
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He probably felt like he arrived last season and took his foot off the gas a bit and now has trouble getting back into the groove. I still think he has it in him to have a 25g/25a season someday.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote