Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Janko Troubles

Ok so it's not a huge issue this year yet with the team playing well, but what do you think the issues are here? I was super pumped about this guy last year after 17 goals and lots of potential.

Seems like he has a real short leash with Peters, and I'm not sure he's been given much opportunity to succeed. Some say they think he's been playing lazy, but I think his style just looks effortless and he is a mellow always smiling type guy.

Is it just a sophomore slump?

I hope he can get it going and get his confidence back up. Would be huge for us for additional scoring.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

a combination of a sophomore slump, team depth and Derek Ryan being a coaches favourite, I guess. He'll turn it around, the talent is there.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Ok so it's not a huge issue this year yet with the team playing well, but what do you think the issues are here? I was super pumped about this guy last year after 17 goals and lots of potential.

Seems like he has a real short leash with Peters, and I'm not sure he's been given much opportunity to succeed. Some say they think he's been playing lazy, but I think his style just looks effortless and he is a mellow always smiling type guy.

Is it just a sophomore slump?

I hope he can get it going and get his confidence back up. Would be huge for us for additional scoring.
are you saying that Janko should be Unchained?

I'll show myself out
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adversity is good. He needs to push through it and become a better player. Or his NHL career will be very short.

He needs to work on his skating. And he needs to understand that in this league, you have to bring it every shift.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

New system as well, which is not easy for a younger player still learning how to play centre at the NHL level. Ryan on the other hand is very familiar with the system, so it's not surprising to see Peters having most trust in him versus Janko at this point.

Still very early -- I expect Janko will get more opportunities as the year goes on. May not exceed or even match his totals from last year, but I wouldn't set that as a benchmark. He still has very good hands and a decent shot -- just needs to continue working on his entire game.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:52 AM   #6
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski should be in at the net all the time, with his reach and decent hands but he usually stays out too far. He's got a pretty good shot, but he seems to be thinking/reacting too slowly. His passes aren't crisp. Those are NHL versus AHL issues IMO.

Now, maybe part of his problem is he's a pretty smooth skater, like Hamilton, so the effort isn't always obvious. But overall he's just not noticeable in a good way.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #7
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

From a coaching standpoint he just isn't a good bet this year (so far). He gives up Monahan/Gaudreau level chances when he's on the ice, but doesn't create anywhere near their level.

Step one he has to be better defensively. He does that and he'll get a longer rope to get his offence back on track.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 08:59 AM   #8
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was stoked about his offensive production in the AHL, but outside of that I have always thought janko tops out in a Brian Boyle mold. Which is not a bad thing, but janko needs to accept it I think and start working on his physicality. He could be a dominant bottom 6 player/centre, but to do so I think he needs to get out of the top 6 centre mindset.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #9
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
From a coaching standpoint he just isn't a good bet this year (so far). He gives up Monahan/Gaudreau level chances when he's on the ice, but doesn't create anywhere near their level.

Step one he has to be better defensively. He does that and he'll get a longer rope to get his offence back on track.
I always thought he'd be great defensively and on the PK - his reach and size would help. He makes terrible outlet passes though, and usually just hands the puck away (if he even gets out of the zone).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:03 AM   #10
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barely noticed him all season
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #11
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Puck seems to bounce off his stick a lot. I think the 3rd line will continue to improve though and worst case. I like having him on the 4th.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #12
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

4 of his 17 goals were in the last game when the opponent had nothing to play for.

His overall game likely suffered from a poor coaching staff last year.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #13
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
4 of his 17 goals were in the last game when the opponent had nothing to play for.

His overall game likely suffered from a poor coaching staff last year.
Nobody coached Jankowski to turn the puck over whenever possible, play the least physical game he can manage, and be weak on the stick at all times.

I'll blame the player thanks.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:15 AM   #14
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we are talking about strictly merit of play he should probably be the guy in the press box for the Flames most nights. Being in the press box serves him no purpose so I feel he should be sent to the AHL to get his confidence back. He's always been a developmental guy with good size and raw skills but it's pretty clear he needs more seasoning.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #15
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have to believe part of it is practice as well. I think guys still earn icetime in the NHL based on what they are bringing in practice, most especially the bubble guys. In fact, what you bring in practice as a 8 minute a night guy might be as much or more important than what you are bringing in a game.

My feeling is dube and Hathaway are bringing it a lot more in practice than jankowski and czarnik and the coach is rewarding them for keeping the pace if practices high.

Janko still seems like he is happy just being here.

It's great to have optimism about how many shorthanded goals you're going to score this year, but maybe you should focus on actually getting into games first. Imo, that attitude speaks to being gifted minutes last year based in there being no other options. Now that there are, janko isn't showing another gear to compete for a consistent spot.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #16
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If we are talking about strictly merit of play he should probably be the guy in the press box for the Flames most nights. Being in the press box serves him no purpose so I feel he should be sent to the AHL to get his confidence back. He's always been a developmental guy with good size and raw skills but it's pretty clear he needs more seasoning.
He'd have to go on waivers and I'm guessing someone would pick him up for free. Perhaps he should start the transition to the wing? He's below average on the dot (47-48%) and it might force him to use his size and be a little more engaged by playing a more direct, physical game...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #17
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Janko is a CP favourite and many posters have always been willing to overlook his poor play.

Last year he had an exceptional camp and then carried that through to the start of the season and looked very good. This year, he did nothing in camp, and that has carried over into the season.

He is at best a fringe NHL player that needs to get better or his career will soon be over.

He needs to use the ice time he gets to earn more. The team would be foolish to give him more the way he is playing.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #18
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Really leaves you wanting more. Such amazing hand eye coordination, size & reach. Hope he can put it all together.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:31 AM   #19
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the pivotal point in Jankowski's development, the first real adversity he has faced at the NHL level. I believe that how he handles this will give us a good idea what he is really all about.

It's why I never gave up hope on Bennett. Despite the disappointments, road blocks, and declining stats, Bennett always looked like a player that gave a #### and never sulked. Even when the puck wasn't breaking his way he was and continues to be tenacious.

Janko has really high hockey IQ and a complete set of tools to play up and down the ice. Let's see how he responds in the long term.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #20
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guy looks lazy out there, and deserves a couple games in the press box. Too soft on plays, and loses board battles to easily. With his size, he should be harder to take off the puck.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote