Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #2041
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
If you played for the Oilers, you'd drink too.
For the most part, it's not the drinking that would concern owners too much.

It would be abusing other substances that would raise red flags. There are lots of young NHL players who would partake in such activity, because when you put lots of money with entitled young people together (whether they are NHL players or not), that's what you'll often get.

There are lots of stories that come out about NHL players (including Flame players) who have been seen downtown "partying".
Old 07-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #2042
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

It would be abusing other substances that would raise red flags. There are lots of young NHL players who would partake in such activity, because when you put lots of money with entitled young people together (whether they are NHL players or not), that's what you'll often get.

There are lots of stories that come out about NHL players (including Flame players) who have been seen downtown "partying".
Sigh.

It was a joke.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #2043
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Emphasis on lots. Which is the whole point: it is irrelevant. It's what kids do. It doesn't make them a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #2044
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Party shamer
Old 07-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #2045
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
Hall for Gaudreau in a couple of deadlines from now.
Hall will extend with us and Johnny gets to go home.
This way neither side will lose a star for nothing and both parties get to go home.
No. The right thing to do is to sign Hall as a UFA, and then re-sign Gaudreau.

Gaudreau courts potential UFAs and is one of the first players on the team to welcome newly added personnel. He rides in the Stampede Parade every year. He is already deeply invested in the city and the Flames. If they are competitive when he enters free agency I see no reason why he would not be highly motivated to stay in Calgary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #2046
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Emphasis on lots. Which is the whole point: it is irrelevant. It's what kids do. It doesn't make them a problem.
It's not irrelevant if excessive drug usage starts affecting their play. It affects different players in different ways, much like it would your co-workers.

There are lots of people working who have addiction problems. Many are entirely functional. Some are not. Those people become problems.

I agree that it is usually irrelevant. Until it is not.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #2047
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not irrelevant if excessive drug usage starts affecting their play. It affects different players in different ways, much like it would your co-workers.

There are lots of people working who have addiction problems. Many are entirely functional. Some are not. Those people become problems.

I agree that it is usually irrelevant. Until it is not.
Yes, but that isn't the case. When that becomes the case, there is a problem with that player. And then it is noteworthy.

The problem with these discussions, and with fans talking about (whispering about) players 'partying', is that they are suggesting that there are problems where there aren't.

If someone has an addiction problem, that is a different conversation. But unless that happens, there shouldn't be any conversation at all because they are just kids being kids.

And suggesting they are bad people, or potentially troublesome team-mates, is creating a problem that doesn't exist.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #2048
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but that isn't the case. When that becomes the case, there is a problem with that player. And then it is noteworthy.

The problem with these discussions, and with fans talking about (whispering about) players 'partying', is that they are suggesting that there are problems where there aren't.

If someone has an addiction problem, that is a different conversation. But unless that happens, there shouldn't be any conversation at all because they are just kids being kids.

And suggesting they are bad people, or potentially troublesome team-mates, is creating a problem that doesn't exist.
I don't think that anything you have written is incorrect.

I do know in office situations, we try not to wait until you know there is a serious problem before reacting, as by that time it's usually too late. It's better to try and get addicted people help before they hit rock bottom.

But the fact remains that people who partake in illegal substances are creating a possible problem, and employers need to be aware of that fact.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #2049
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I do know in office situations, we try not to wait until you know there is a serious problem before reacting, as by that time it's usually too late. It's better to try and get addicted people help before they hit rock bottom.

But the fact remains that people who partake in illegal substances are creating a possible problem, and employers need to be aware of that fact.
I think the Flames have a handle on these types of situations. They have a little advice giver:

Old 07-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #2050
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, but you are referring to situations becoming a problem at the office (i.e. affecting performance).

That is not the same thing as kids partying.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #2051
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but you are referring to situations becoming a problem at the office (i.e. affecting performance).

Yes it can be the same thing. For a lot of people doing copious amounts of alcohol and drugs the night before a game will most certainly negatively affect their performance in some way. Some people are seemingly immune to hangovers but a lot of us are not.

I work in the restaurant industry which contains many alcoholics and drug abusers and partying too much will affect your performance in the office, in the restaurant or on the ice or field.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #2052
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's the exact same thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #2053
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Yes it can be the same thing. For a lot of people doing copious amounts of alcohol and drugs the night before a game will most certainly negatively affect their performance in some way. Some people are seemingly immune to hangovers but a lot of us are not.

I work in the restaurant industry which contains many alcoholics and drug abusers and partying too much will affect your performance in the office, in the restaurant or on the ice or field.
Unless you have evidence of this, you are doing exactly what I was referring to: creating a problem that isn't there.

If someone's performance is being affected, then yes, let's talk about it. And more importantly, let's make sure they're getting help.

But that isn't the case.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #2054
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

My point is this: partying does not mean there is a problem. But calling people out publicly for partying can create a problem.

Partying does not make kids bad people.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #2055
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Unless you have evidence of this, you are doing exactly what I was referring to: creating a problem that isn't there.

If someone's performance is being affected, then yes, let's talk about it. And more importantly, let's make sure they're getting help.

But that isn't the case.
I’m not creating a problem at all. I’m speaking a truth that I guess some people would like to ignore?

That doing excessive drugs and alcohol within 24 hours of a game will usually negatively affect performance. That’s a truth as far as I’m concerned. I have enough experience dealing with alcohol and drug abusers to state it IMO.

Why do think that wouldn’t be a problem? I’m not accusing anybody of having this problem but you’d have to be very naive to think it doesn’t crop up across the league.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #2056
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

New Topic Please.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #2057
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
My point is this: partying does not mean there is a problem. But calling people out publicly for partying can create a problem.

Partying does not make kids bad people.
It depends when they are doing it. They have a few days off? Go nuts. Day before a game? Maybe don’t chug a 750 ml of hard liquor and snort a bag of coke.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #2058
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I’m not creating a problem at all. I’m speaking a truth that I guess some people would like to ignore?

That doing excessive drugs and alcohol within 24 hours of a game will usually negatively affect performance. That’s a truth as far as I’m concerned. I have enough experience dealing with alcohol and drug abusers to state it IMO.

Why do think that wouldn’t be a problem
? I’m not accusing anybody of having this problem but you’d have to be very naive to think it doesn’t crop up across the league.
I already agreed that would be a problem. As any reasonable person would.

But until there is actually evidence of that happening, there isn't a problem, and talking about partying is just infringement on their privacy. It's just another reason why so many players don't want to play in Canada.

Anyway, I am out as I am just repeating myself now.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #2059
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan403 View Post
New Topic Please.
Could not agree more.

This has zero to do with this thread topic. Make a new thread about how drinking and drugs impacts performance instead of cluttering up this thread with a topic that doesn’t apply to trade speculation and rumours. Root above is correct, this is a Social topic and isn’t relevant to this thread until it’s referenced to a player specifically and even then we should know better then discussing those issues on a public forum.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #2060
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think the team is going to make at least one move. I just don't think this team is done for some reason and I really wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Bennett or Janko traded at some point, likely with Brouwer involved as well.