Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default I'm becoming a fair weather Flames fan. Am I alone?

At the risk of creating a thread that gets torn to shreds, I just want to see if anyone else has been rapidly losing interest in the Flames lately. I think I’ve become a fair weather Flames fan.

I don’t know what’s happened to me, but in the span of 18 months I’ve gone from planning my week around Flames games, to being completely apathetic about the team or the results. This after about 25 years of being a die-hard fan. I’ve turned down free tickets to go to games. The most I’ve watched of any Flames game this year on TV is about a period. Tonight’s example; I missed the first 10 minutes, watched Dallas get 2 goals in a few minutes, and am not planning on tuning back in.

Some of the factors in my current apathy are as follows:
- Complete mediocrity on the ice outside of the 2003-04 and 2014-15 playoff runs.
- Not being able to afford tickets to games despite a stable middle class income.
- When I am able to get tickets on the cheap, or free, food and drink prices that are getting more and more outlandish.
- The live game atmosphere of a morgue at the Saddledome.
- The CalgaryNEXT debacle.
- Poor production quality of TV broadcasts.
- The same 5 damn commercials every time I do watch a game for more than a few minutes.
- The Oilers and their wonder kids being shoved down my throat consistently.
- A fan base that I seem to not relate to on matters that have nothing to do with the Flames, to the point where I’m calling out other posters needlessly (btw, sorry about that CaptainCrunch).

This isn't isolated to the slow start to the season, I was losing interest last year as well. I didn't know the date of the season opener until the day of the game. I didn't know Korpikoski had a PTO with the club. I never heard of Vey until tonight.

Anyone else?

Last edited by shermanator; 11-10-2016 at 08:28 PM.
shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #2
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Not a fairweather fan but definitely not as invested. Got way too much going on in life to be invested in a bottomfeeder cap team, worst of all the team is boring. No jam, no jump, no creativity.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 08:42 PM   #3
aiy_yah
Farm Team Player

Exp:

As a fan since 84, I sort of see where you are coming from. While I haven't become a "fair weather" fan, I am disenchanted with the play of the current team. I live and died through the young gun years when they covered the nosebleeds and couldn't give away tickets and was never this disappointed.

This team has the talent and the players, but just can't seem to put it together. They got a bit lucky as the "find a way" Flames 2 years ago, but I do agree the on ice product has been lacking.

That said, I'm not ready to give up yet. A habit of 30+ years is hard to break. But I am finding funding myself no longer willing to watch to the end when the effort doesn't seem to be there and they're getting blown out like in the LA game.
aiy_yah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was super excited about this season. Now I just watch kind of expecting to be let down.
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Crumpy-Gunt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Still love em. Try not to ever miss a game. In fact I see too much fairweather fans with their Canucks in Vancouver that it makes me ill.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think I have to eco some of the comments here as I also find myself a little 'blah' over this team thus far this season and for a good chunk of last.

I am still reading CP, newspaper articles, podcasts etc and will watch the games and such. What I am finding is I am not going to as many games, I am turning down free tickets and I find the quality of play lacking, not just in the Flames games but in the NHL as a whole. I know that the scoring is up this year but I am finding more and more "garbage" goal as opposed to lots of scoring chances and electrifying goals.

Even the 3 on 3 overtime is nothing to write home about now. When it first started it was a skating fest, 2 on 1 chances, puck around the boards and the same play going the other way. Now all I see is a possession of the puck, trying to make a pass down low and a tip in play from the side of the net.

Even with the NFL I find I am losing a bit of interest. I typically would watch my team and the odd game here and there, now? I have watched a grand total of 3 quarters football. Hell I don't know who they are even playing this week!!

A few friends of mine have a theory that with fantasy leagues that people have WAY too much going on in terms of sports. People are making trades, looking things up, chatting about it in group chats etc and by the time 8 pm game time comes, people aren't watching. Might as well just check the Score App and see how you did in fantasy and go do something else. Full disclosure: I don't do fantasy anything so I am not aware of the time commitment but for people who are in many leagues and pools, I can see it being a lot.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
RedMan12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One minute I get high one minute I get low. 0-2 Dallas I'm a fair weather fan. 2 goals by Johnny its back on.

You lack rawness, you lack passion, you couldn't make it through war without rations.

RedMan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:01 PM   #8
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default I'm becoming a fair weather Flames fan. Am I alone?

I love them, even though they give me palpitations

Last edited by smiggy77; 11-11-2016 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Was drunk and kinda mean
smiggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #9
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I honestly think it comes with age. I mean I used to throw things around, get furious and lose sleep when they lost (especially in the playoffs), maybe I had anger issues... but in all seriousness now I realize it isn't the end of the world if they lose a game. I mean don't get me wrong if they are in a playoff battle down the stretch (14/15) or playing a playoff game I will still get nervous but I see the bigger picture now that I'm in my early 30s. My nights aren't planned around watching the Flames (maybe thats because I now live in Toronto), I don't think that makes me any less of a fan though. They will always be my team and I will always support them but my life doesn't revolve around watching every second of every game and their is no point in losing my cool if they lose (although the first 2 games against Edmonton had me infuriated).

Hopefully one day they'll win a cup so I can actually remember it unlike back in 89.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #10
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I am as committed as ever to the flames. I will never stop cheering for them.

My fanaticism has calmed a bit but that's because my life is different now than it was when I was 20 years old. I'm not as obsessed as I used to be but I can't be. I have other #### in my life that takes up my time and money.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #11
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

I personally am still a fan! I don't watch as many games on TV now because I work 3-4 evening shifts a week. I'd still love to go to a game again sometime and I am on here and actively following them

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #12
tfi racing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think the same is happening for a lot of fans with most major sports.Attendance is down,TV ratings are swirling down the toilet,interest is dropping and apathy is rising.
There are many reasons for it,both within each league and external factors that are not directly related . There will be a day of reckoning and serious restructuring for the NHL,NFL,NBA,MLB and Nascar,and it's coming fast...
tfi racing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tfi racing For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #13
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I feel very dedicated to the Flames.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #14
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

just super frustrating watching them so I save myself the stress
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 09:38 PM   #15
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm losing interest in the no contact brand of hockey that the NHL is today.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #16
RedMan12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I love the pain!

You lack rawness, you lack passion, you couldn't make it through war without rations.

RedMan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RedMan12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 09:46 PM   #17
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

This year's team is just so lousy to watch. I don't expect a W every game, but I do expect to be entertained.

This team fails on both fronts.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to automaton 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 09:46 PM   #18
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch every game live or PVR'd without knowing the score. I won't stop being a fan or will ever put myself in a lesser category of fan.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #19
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've slowly been losing interest in hockey over the last couple of years. I mean the Flames are my team and will always my team, but I find that I'm not sitting through whole games anymore or rushing home to watch hockey, I've even refused tickets because "I have other things to do".

Maybe its the style of the game now, but it just seems so passionless and meh. I think that the moves to improve offense (which really hasn't improved the offense) have taken the heart of the game (and no I'm not talking about fighting). There's no passion or fire right now.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #20
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The players have become fair weather athletes.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post: