Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #21
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Sounds like Jonathan de Guzman is getting called up by the Netherlands. While part of me is disappointed, it finally allows the national team to move on from the whole "will he? or won't he" nonsense. Up next, Hoilett and that chapter can close too.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #22
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Well thats lame.
I was hoping he's stew in International purgatory for the rest of his career.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #23
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just stumbled across this thread - thanks for setting it up, Shermanator!

There is apparently a live stream of the Denmark game tomorrow on sportsnet.ca:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-denmark-soccer/

Kickoff is at 1:00pm MT, with the broadcast beginning at 12:30 MT.

And the USA match on Tuesday is at 7:00pm MT on TV on Sportsnet in Canada and ESPN 2 in the States.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #24
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Sounds like Jonathan de Guzman is getting called up by the Netherlands. While part of me is disappointed, it finally allows the national team to move on from the whole "will he? or won't he" nonsense. Up next, Hoilett and that chapter can close too.
When i watch Swansea games the play by play caller refers to him sometimes as the Dutchmen and sometimes as the Canadian, it's ironic that its just the same as the way Guzman sees himself, flip flopper.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #25
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone is interested, there's a live stream of the game here. Beware, it's already 2-0 Denmark in the 11th minute

Lineup is as follows:

Canada Soccer ‏@CanadaSoccerEN #canMNT XI v DEN: GK Hirschfeld; Henry, Attakora, Jakovic, Morgan; Dunfield (c), Bekker, Ledgerwood, Teibert; De Rosario, Ricketts.

Canada Soccer ‏@CanadaSoccerEN #canMNT subs: Davies, Jonke, Beaulieu-Bourgault, Gomez, Stinson, Porter, Stillo, James, Trafford, Fresenga, Thomas.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #26
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

lol wow....
Old 01-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #27
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I've heard that too, and I'm happy. Make a decision one way or the other and move along. Its like a bad relationship that just cant end.

Good for De Guzman though, this is what he wants. Ultimately, I foresee him being tied to the Dutch team that he probably wont make for big games or tournaments and he cant string Canada along.

I hope he enjoys playing in exhibitions and friendlies and that his mom got him a bench warming pad for Christmas.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #29
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

4-0 Denmark at final time. It's important to remember that Canadian soccer is blowing it up and starting clean. This result against Denmark was to be expected, and anyone who was expecting different, needs to give their head a shake.

The good: I thought Bekker, Teibert, and Morgan had some flashes of good play and Thomas made a couple of good saves.

The bad: Everyone else, but I thought Henry and Ricketts looked particularly bad. I think our backline is terrible and is the biggest weakness. We can't push forward and the few chances we get are wasted. Quite frankly, we are not even close to Denmark's level of competition.

And I think this sums up my thoughts on the state of the national team right now.

Jason deVos ‏@jasondevos It speaks volumes about our lack of depth when players are making their international debut when their club is listed as "unattached".

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #30
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

So since they're starting from scratch, I assuming going to Russia isn't a realistic goal?

Are they shooting for Qatar? Maybe a Canadian WC in 2026?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #31
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The MNT is back at it tomorrow night against the US in Houston. Game starts at 7 pm on Sportsnet One. Expect a similar type of lineup, with lots of youngsters playing, and therefore we should expect a similar type of result against a US team that is prepping for the final stage of World Cup Qualifying.

So far, we know that Simon Thomas will get the start in goal as Hirschfeld is out.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2013/..._colin_miller/

Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #32
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
If anyone is interested, there's a live stream of the game here. Beware, it's already 2-0 Denmark in the 11th minute

Lineup is as follows:

Canada Soccer ‏@CanadaSoccerEN #canMNT XI v DEN: GK Hirschfeld; Henry, Attakora, Jakovic, Morgan; Dunfield (c), Bekker, Ledgerwood, Teibert; De Rosario, Ricketts.

Canada Soccer ‏@CanadaSoccerEN #canMNT subs: Davies, Jonke, Beaulieu-Bourgault, Gomez, Stinson, Porter, Stillo, James, Trafford, Fresenga, Thomas.
Not familiar with many of the young players coming up. Was anyone significant capped in this game? Is there, for that matter, even anyone in the pipeline to be excited about?
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #33
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post
Not familiar with many of the young players coming up. Was anyone significant capped in this game? Is there, for that matter, even anyone in the pipeline to be excited about?
6 players were capped for the first time, but I would say that only Kyle Bekker has a chance of being with the team, and I did like the bits of play I saw from him. 3 of them are unattached (Evan James, Mason Trafford, Simon Thomas), 1 plays in USL Pro after a year of no on field action (Phillipe Davies), another had played for FC Edmonton the last 2 years and may join them again this year (Kyle Porter).

Personally, I'm excited to see how the young players on MLS team play tonight. Those being Ashtone Morgan (3 caps), Russell Teibert (2 caps) and Bekker. Doneil Henry could be a fixture on the team in the future, but he played like crap on Saturday. I'm also curious to see how Milan Borjan (9 caps) handles being the #1 keeper at the Gold Cup in June should Hirschfeld step aside.

As far as coming down the pipe I think the Voyageurs forums will have the best information on that. Keven Aleman lit it up for Canada in the U-17 World Cup and is training in Spain, but he could also suit up for Costa Rica. Bryce Alderson and Caleb Clarke are on Vancouver's roster this year, and may be future players on the team. Roberto Stillo plays for Genoa in the Serie A and is the backup tonight.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #34
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lineups for tonight's match.

Canada Soccer ‏@CanadaSoccerEN #canMNT XI v USA: GK Thomas; Ledgerwood, Attakora, Jakovic, Morgan; Dunfield, Bourgault, Bekker; Ricketts, Teibert, De Rosario (c).

Canada Soccer ‏@CanadaSoccerEN
#canMNT subs: Davies, Jonke, Henry, Gomez, Stinson, Porter, Stillo, James, Trafford, Fresenga.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #35
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

After 45 and Jakovic is the best player for both teams. He's really made some solid defensive plays for Canada; nice to see!
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #36
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Jakovic was even better in the 2nd half, what an elegant looking defender.

Who says ties are useless, that was an amazing tie!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #37
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They got 4 shots on net against the States? 4 shots on a net the size of a city bus? Are they the 2001 Flames?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #38
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

That game was horribad.
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #39
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

So the best prospects we have coming up are still MLS calibre?

No De Guzemans or Hargreaves we could cap?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #40
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
So the best prospects we have coming up are still MLS calibre?

No De Guzemans or Hargreaves we could cap?

I don't mind that, let's develop guys from within. MLS isn't a bad league.

I'm tired of players deciding whether to play for Canada or not and only jumping on when the other Canadian players get the team somewhere.

Let's have "OUR" team! Win or lose I'd be much happier. I was absolutely thrilled with the performance and the result yesterday.