Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-20-2019, 08:55 PM   #21
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie also has 1 year left on a really good contract next season.

That may bring a team with a late first round pick to the table.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #22
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea but I imagine we will find out this summer. I would be surprised if they brought him back on the last year of his deal unless they plan on committing to him long term and to me it looks like he's close to losing his top 4 spot with Andersson and Valimaki pushing for more ice time.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #23
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

2nd + 3rd.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #24
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing that I think is key with this team failing is not being convinced they have a wide open window. When the window is wide open typically teams will not move key core players prior to their contract expiring and will hit their pick/prospect pool to take a shot to win every year. The Jets did it at the deadline the last 2 years with Stastny and Hayes. They are about to lose Myers for nothing.

The Flames have gone 2-12 in their last 2 playoff series and while they had a fantastic regular season they have not started to go all in. I feel like the team took somewhat of a half step back trading 26 year old Ferland and 25 year old Hamilton for 23 year old Lindholm and 21 year old Hanifin. The move allowed the Flames to take a step forward and avoid being in a spot in 2 years where they would have to pay Hamilton top $ and the team is still trying to find their way.

Another thing is the Flames have committed to the 30’s years for Backlund, Giordano, Neal so far and will have to make decisions with Brodie and Hamonic. I don’t think they are in a spot where they can afford to let one of those guys walk and they can’t commit to both when they have little cap flexibility and so many young promising blueliners. It is time to cut bait with Brodie and bring back futures or help add some grit and toughness to the top 6.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:29 PM   #25
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Move Hamonic instead if you actually care about making this team win more hockey games

That being said, neither of them are worth an incredible amount, mid/late 1st and a small +
How does that help? Hamonic is just what we need.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:56 PM   #26
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
In all honesty to Brodie on an expiring contract is worth maybe a 3rd. He defends at below average nhl level and is moderately above average offensively. Other gms see what we see and more and if we all know he sucks why would they think any differently?

Even with all his flaws, there is no way TJ Brodie would return just a third round pic. Not a chance.

Last edited by Ped; 04-20-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 11:32 PM   #27
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Even with all his flaws, there is no way TJ Brodie would return just a third round pic. Not a chance.
Yeah, that third round pick is the throw in to the late first the Flames would also be getting.

I agree though at this point in the teams cycle I'd rather see a hockey trade for a position we have a need in (gritty high end RW?) than draft picks. Getting someone who will still be an RFA when their contract expires would also be good, as that seems to be a big strength for Treliving.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:34 PM   #28
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Each team in the NHL have a few to several pro scouts whose job it is to evaluate and help their GMs identify exactly the assets, liabilities and worth ( where they would fit in on “their” roster) of each player in the NHL, including potential tradeable players.

When posters are evaluating what a GM / team will get in return for a player, it’s smart to keep that in mind.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:07 AM   #29
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Been thinking about this as I think him and Frolik are almost certainly gone this summer. If there are decent offers for stone or Kylington makes sense to move one or even both too if they are going to bring back fantenberg and prout... And why not, both serviceable bottom pairing/press box guys with low cost.

I think Brodie is pretty comparable to Muzzin with a little less value. Close numbers almost same contract, Brodie skates better but Muzzin is more physical. Brodie has less term as Muzzin was traded with 1.2 years left.

Who knows what teams would be willing to pay but I'd guess a late first or an early second plus a decent asset.

It makes sense to me if Nashville has decided to move Subban that they could be the basis of a deal with the flames adding a lot more.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:31 AM   #30
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Been thinking about this as I think him and Frolik are almost certainly gone this summer. If there are decent offers for stone or Kylington makes sense to move one or even both too if they are going to bring back fantenberg and prout... And why not, both serviceable bottom pairing/press box guys with low cost.

I think Brodie is pretty comparable to Muzzin with a little less value. Close numbers almost same contract, Brodie skates better but Muzzin is more physical. Brodie has less term as Muzzin was traded with 1.2 years left.

Who knows what teams would be willing to pay but I'd guess a late first or an early second plus a decent asset.

It makes sense to me if Nashville has decided to move Subban that they could be the basis of a deal with the flames adding a lot more.

If you’re going to move Brodie, you need to keep Kylington. He’s the only D man with wheels like Brodie. Prout and Fantenberg are not very fleet of foot.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #31
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie pre-playoffs: 2nd and 4th.

Brodie post-playoffs: Bag of pucks.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #32
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’m actually more down on Hanifin then Brodie. Maybe just because I’ve been through the ups and downs of Brodie over the past four years. I have been frustrated with Hanifin since the all star break. Soft, turnover prone and seems to be out of position.

Maybe just me, but I would package 2/3 of Brodie, Hanifin or one of the young studs for a top top forward.

What scares me is how these things work out for us. For every Lindholm there are a couple Brower/Neil’s.
Owen15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #33
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
He is a top pairing D man who plays the right side. A handful of untimely gaffes doesn’t tank a players trade value.
He ended up in Bill Peters' doghouse way more often than not. Far more than any other player. Of all the players in the squad that Bill had to work with, TJ lost his trust most readily - to the point that he was willing to throw a relatively still-green Rasmus to take his place.

Multiple times.

I think that says everything about the relationship between Peters and Brodie.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #34
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wonder if the Canadiens would have interest. Being the Habs, they're likely looking to get back in the playoffs ASAP. The had 10 picks last draft and have the 15th & two picks in the 40's. Their blue line could use a guy from the looks of it.

Could the Flames pry a couple picks from the habs?
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #35
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Wonder if the Canadiens would have interest. Being the Habs, they're likely looking to get back in the playoffs ASAP. The had 10 picks last draft and have the 15th & two picks in the 40's. Their blue line could use a guy from the looks of it.

Could the Flames pry a couple picks from the habs?
Habs will be close to the front of the line imo. They have been looking for a left shot D to play with Weber and have picks and cap space to spare.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #36
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen15 View Post
I’m actually more down on Hanifin then Brodie. Maybe just because I’ve been through the ups and downs of Brodie over the past four years. I have been frustrated with Hanifin since the all star break. Soft, turnover prone and seems to be out of position.
He's also 22. Defencemen typically don't reach maturity at the NHL level until they're about 24. Hanifin will get better.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #37
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Brodie + Mony for Ottawa's Tkachuk
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phaneuf_Phan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #38
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
Brodie + Mony for Ottawa's Tkachuk
Ottawa says no.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:30 AM   #39
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
2nd + 3rd.
This is probably the most accurate post.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #40
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
This is probably the most accurate post.
I would try for two seconds, but would take this if you couldn't get it.