Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #381
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why not try flipping Lindholm and Monahan? Putting Gaudreau and Lindholm closer might get you more plays, gets you a better skating centre. Right shot centre and left shot left wing. You see it on PP2 breakouts - the give and go's.
Takes burden off Monahan to be that more dynamic good skating 'top line centre' people love to talk about. Still available for offense and face-offs.

Monahan on the walls might actually force him to use his frame to his advantage.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 04-20-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:13 PM   #382
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I could live with Smith, Rittich and spend the money/trades to get a #1 centre, someone who is a bigger name than Johnny. Monahan would be a great 2 line centre. I see his deficiencies as being partly caused by who he plays with.

Last edited by Teroy; 04-20-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:16 PM   #383
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Has anyone looked at the stats and splits of where the flames piled up their points this season?

IIRC 50% of top lines points were against teams that finished in bottom third of NHL.

That doesn’t bode well for playoff success.

Gio is going to slow down, and it’s only fair to expect a little regression in production from the top players.

Count me among the very worried we regress quite a lot next season unless there are some drastic changes made
For sake of comparison it would be interesting to know what the typical percentage of points scored by a top line is against bottom third teams. It stands to reason the best players score at a higher clip against weaker competition.
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:26 PM   #384
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Francis alludes to Tkachuk wanting to eventually leave and head to the states so he will be seeking the 5 year deal this summer that takes him to UFA in his most recent article. I hope that is not the case
if that does happen, i'd be sad...

that said, its a business and the Flames need to ensure that the extract the most they can get with guys like him and guadreau if he decides that he wants to play for the Flyers at the end of his contract...

don't be dumb and wait until the last sec to pull off a trade as at some point in time the value begins to drop as the end of the TDL approaches...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #385
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wonder if we could sign Talbot on the somewhat cheap to play tandem with Rittich. Could be a chance for him to resurrect his career... not a backup role but also not expected to play 70 games. That would leave enough money to keep Tkachuk on a longer deal. If you deal Brodie, Frolik and Janko for picks, leaves enough to sign Hayes and be comfortably under the cap.
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2macinnis2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 09:13 PM   #386
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cory Schneider is totally done right? Is there any chance he bounces back or is the risk too high? I feel like we could flip Neal for him. Probably too risky though.

Would Florida do Reimer for Neal?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #387
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

This will be an unpopular opinion, and I really love the player, but I'm going to guess Backlund gets traded.

Derek Ryan, whom I was not high on when we acquired him, has shown he can play more than 4th line minutes in a defensive role, and Backlund is a valuable asset on a good contract that can get us what we need to address our deficiencies.

Treliving has shown in past years that he's willing to make move out pieces. That's my guess for the "no-one-saw-that-coming" trade.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:18 PM   #388
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gaudreau - Hayes - Lindholm
Tkachuck - Monahan - Connolly
Bennett - Backlund - Williams or Maroon
Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway
Dube

Giordano - Andersson
Hanafin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Kylington
Stone
Prout

Addition to my earlier post.

Sign Hayes - 6'5 220 creates space and has chemistry with Johnny

Sign Williams who is a playoff warrior that creates space and is still very productive to a short term deal ( wouldn't want to get Brouwered or Nealed again). Sign Brett Connolly who is skilled, has a great shot, good skating and pretty good size and probably comes cheaper than other options as hes only really started to put it together the last 2 seasons.

Trade Brodie, Neal, Jankowski and our 1st for a Back up goalie and picks

edit trade Frolik for picks and cap space

I'm reluctant to get rid of Stone unless we get someone nastier because although our D is fast and skilled, they aren't very heavy, I almost feel like we need more D man that can actually play with an edge and throw some hits. We're pretty soft on the back end. The refs put their whistles away for Johnny being hacked all series. I see no reason why we shouldn't have a few guys that do that back to other star players. MacKinnon should have been manhandled but we had no one able to do it on the team.
Goalies I don't know. I don't want to give up more picks or players.
We get tougher to play against and stack more skill and size with out blowing it up. Players are pushed down the lineup where they can succeed. None of this would cost us an arm and a leg and these guys aren't going to be as highly sought after as Duchene etc. and we recoup picks to keep the cupboards stocked.

Last edited by Psytic; 04-20-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:22 PM   #389
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Frolik has a year left on his deal. So hopefully the deal around him and Zucker can be revisited. Although I have my doubts, I think it was something the Wild wanted to do to push for the playoffs this year

I don't have anything against Frolik, he's just a very solid player and his contract is very tradeable. Makes sense to move him from an asset management point of view
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:24 AM   #390
It's a great day 4 hockey
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If Dallas somehow goes out to Nashville maybe Tyler Seguin agrees to a trade. Monahan, Brodie, and this year's 1st. for Seguin. I don't like losing our 1st again but there's no way Dallas takes anything less.

The other way to go is Couturier and Philly's 1st for Gaudreau and Brodie. Couturier on his contract offsets Philly winning the best player in the trade. People are dreaming if they think Brodie get us a first on his own. We need to be adding 1st round picks, not giving them up.

Neal should be given a 10-game tryout starting next year. If at the end of it we have more of the same down to Stockton you go and enjoy the minors. The Flames need to set the record straight for potential free agents signings of the future:

THIS IS NOT THE SUNNYVALE RETIREMENT TEAM.

To get you gotta give. We are not getting a top end 1C without a lot going back. Staying status quo with the number 1 line is the option I least want to see. I hate saying this after the regular season we had.

Is part of the problem the NHL for allowing the different types of officiating at times of the season? Is allowing that a way for weaker teams to have more sex appeal to their local fan base? Shouldn't Johnny be given the same work safety measures at all times by those in charge? The only other sport I can think of that the outcome is tilted by those in charge as much as hockey is boxing. I hate making that connection.
It's a great day 4 hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:21 AM   #391
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade Neal to any team at 1.25 mill retained for duration - save 4.5 mill annually

Trade Frolik, Jankowski and 1st for Taylor Hall, extend 8 x 9.5

Extend Tkachuk 8 x 8

Extend Bennett 5 x 4

Trade Brodie and Gillies for Kadri

Sign Rittich 2 x 3.5 and Smith 1 x 3.5

Sign Fantenberg 1 x 1.25

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Hall - Kadri - Tkachuk
Bennett - Backlund - Czarnik
Dube

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Kylington
Fantenberg

Rittich
Smith

No idea how the cap works on all the above lol.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:13 AM   #392
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Trade Neal to any team at 1.25 mill retained for duration - save 4.5 mill annually

Extend Tkachuk 8 x 8

Extend Bennett 5 x 4

Sign Fantenberg 1 x 1.25

Hall - Kadri - Tkachuk
Dube

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Kylington
Fantenberg

Rittich
Smith

Not sure the Hall trade makes sense.

What if we were able to get the Devils 2020 1st rounder, Brett Seney and Drew Stafford for Gaudreau instead? Add a little depth and get a 1st rounder? Might make more sense. Gives the devils some left wing depth in Hall and Gaudreau and we get Seney.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 04-21-2019 at 06:26 AM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:37 AM   #393
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

What is a Brett Seney?

Also, Drew Stafford is the no good.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:42 AM   #394
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No one wants to pay him 4.5M until 2023.

Retain 1.9M, the same as the buyout hit per year, and maybe with luck you have a taker.

But more likely you'd have to retain even more.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:05 AM   #395
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Extend Tkachuk 8 x 8

Extend Bennett 5 x 4

Sign Fantenberg 1 x 1.25

Hall - Kadri - Tkachuk
Dube

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Kylington
Fantenberg

Rittich
Smith

Gross, no. Would be fine of we could do some of those teades. But the value we are sending out in your propisals is brutally low. Cap doesnt work either.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:19 AM   #396
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
What is a Brett Seney?

Also, Drew Stafford is the no good.
I just think the package for Gaudreau is a fairer package than the one proposed for Hall. I guess if Shero had a stroke he might take two 4th liners and the 26th overall pick for the reigning league MVP, but in all other circumstances he would not.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:21 AM   #397
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I wonder what CBJ does with their goaltending situation? If Bob leaves as a UFA then that obviously clears things up. Is that a certainty, though? What if they fight to keep him? If they find a way to re-sign him, CBJ has a 3-headed goalie monster next year when you add in Korpisalo and Merzlikins (1 way deal).

I’m sure Treliving is sniffing around that situation.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #398
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's a great day 4 hockey View Post

The other way to go is Couturier and Philly's 1st for Gaudreau and Brodie. Couturier on his contract offsets Philly winning the best player in the trade. People are dreaming if they think Brodie get us a first on his own. We need to be adding 1st round picks, not giving them up.

You’re dreaming if you think Johnny has more grave value that Couturier, a #1 centre who plays exceptionally great defence and is coming off back to back 76 point seasons.

Philly is building around Couturier, not trading him for a skilled one dimensional winger. Johnny has great value to be sure, but he’s not going to bring in that type of player.

If you want a big potential #1 centre, you’ll likely need to gamble on Nolan Patrick. But it will be a huge gamble, but if he was already there, he wouldn’t be available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:58 AM   #399
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

People penciling Hayes in as a top line center. Is he really a top line center? His numbers sure dont support the claim, but I never watch him play.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:44 AM   #400
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember when Johnny was getting bulldogged and beat up behind the net, and Monny came in and lightly grabbed the opposing players jersey for 90 seconds? Pepperage Farm remembers.

Also, stop trying to trade for Kadri. No Leaf trading.
Also, Philly isn't trading Couterier.
Also, Tampa Bay is in cap hell. Go ahead and target Point.