Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #21
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Sitting Dube is fine, but I’m really starting to think Ryan could use some time in the press box.
I kind of agree. Ryan doesn't have much when it comes to offensive skills but he does win faceoffs and can skate with the puck. He's also decent defensively. I don't hate his game but I think he should potentially be part of the Jankowski, Czarnik, Frolik, Dube, Hathaway "play bad and you're out" rotation.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #22
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dube hasn't done much better than have a great camp and have a few good moments in the NHL, but he's still 2a in 14gp, never put up blue chip numbers in juniors and has looked pretty frail out there. That doesn't say "too good for AHL" to me. I'm for swapping him out with Mangiapane and see how they do with the change of scenery.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #23
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith starting again is starting to become inexcusable from my side of the fence.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #24
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I won't wade into the AHL vs NHL for development issue, but I think Dube has been considerably more effective than Czarnik with the ice time he's received.
CroFlames said "He's an NHLer. Accept that." in regards to Dube but when it comes to Czarnik I'm thinking "he's an AHL'er, accept that" could also be true.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #25
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Smith starting again is starting to become inexcusable from my side of the fence.
Ritter had a pretty shaky game against the hawks.

I don't blame the Flames trying to get Smith going, he played well in Anaheim too. Makes sense they'll go with him.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #26
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Flames need Smith playing well. Period. Even if they gave Rittich more starts, they still need Smith playing well.

The guy has a starter's mentality. You give him the benefit of the doubt for at least another month. Not really that hard to understand. You are dealing with human beings. If Smith starts playing like he can, this team will be in a good spot. If he doesn't, they could miss the playoffs. You don't throw a guy out after one bad month when the stakes are that high.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wingmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 11:10 AM   #27
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
CroFlames said "He's an NHLer. Accept that." in regards to Dube but when it comes to Czarnik I'm thinking "he's an AHL'er, accept that" could also be true.
I think he's on the bubble for sure ... but so is Czarnik, Hathaway and Jankowski at this point.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:10 AM   #28
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I get whats being said about Smith, but it isn't one month. This play was evident when he returned from injury last season. He had time away, so we all figured he wasn't healed properly but he's playing the same way. Same style, same odd reads (belly flopping, the quick shift to his left then to his right opening the stick side, general puck tracking issues).

Its more than just the one month.

Its concerning, and because the stakes are so high you treat this with urgency.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 11:10 AM   #29
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Glad Czar is back in, too bad it's because of Dube being hurt. He'll bring in some good speed and will help the PP2 immensely.......he can actually set up plays.

Bennett-Czarnik-Neal
Rasmus-Brodie

Something like that? Maybe throw Backlund in there? I like that much better without Ryan on that unit.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #30
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I get whats being said about Smith, but it isn't one month. This play was evident when he returned from injury last season. He had time away, so we all figured he wasn't healed properly but he's playing the same way. Same style, same odd reads (belly flopping, the quick shift to his left then to his right opening the stick side, general puck tracking issues).

Its more than just the one month.
I don't think I'd lump this start with last year's finish together. He came back early to try and save a season but wasn't ready.

This year is this year though, and if it continues they'll quickly abandon the "save Smith" mantra for a "plug the leaking hole!" philosophy.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:13 AM   #31
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Czarnik has been effective in the minutes he's played so far. I disagree with him being an AHLer and I think he should be in the lineup instead of Hathaway.

I also think Dube should be in the lineup because I think his counting stats do not adequately represent how effective he has been. He has had no luck whatsoever. Its basically been the opposite of his preseason, but he is producing chances.

I want this:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Neal
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik
Dube - Ryan - Czarnik
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #32
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with Nelson. The Flames play a considerably faster game when Dube and Czarnik are both in the lineup.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #33
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

But I would bump Dube t the 3rd line and slide Jankowski to the 4th
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #34
Toonage

Exp:

Czarnik looked dynamite in that first game in China. His linemates were Bennett & Ryan. Haven't seen those 3 together since (I don't think). I'm betting we see that again for a shift or two tomorrow, which I know isn't necessarily fair to Frolik who has played well and doesn't need that sort of motivation.

Edit - I also realize he had more room to move on the bigger ice but I still think we see that line
Old 11-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #35
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Neal
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik
Dube - Ryan - Czarnik
I'd swap Jankowski and Ryan... Jankowski looks slowfooted so far this year and I want more speed.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #36
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I don't think I'd lump this start with last year's finish together. He came back early to try and save a season but wasn't ready.

This year is this year though, and if it continues they'll quickly abandon the "save Smith" mantra for a "plug the leaking hole!" philosophy.
I wonder if someone needs to sit down with Smith and tell him the weight of the world isn't on his shoulders then, because I see the same "save the season" play out of him this year. Maybe he is trying too hard.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:27 AM   #37
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't see why people want to send Dube down. Guy has been a much bigger factor in games then Jankowski has. He brings energy, speed, and a great forecheck. He is also generating his chances and has a bit of a case of the Bennetts.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #38
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I agree with having the speed of Dube and Czarnik both in the lineup.......the games they have been both in I could definitely notice. I guess you want some sandpaper at times depending on who you play, but if you're playing a softer team I'd rather see Hathaway sit.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 11:34 AM   #39
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post

It is starting to head in that direction.

I think Smith starting in Anaheim is a good coaching decision though. It’s an arena that Smith looked outstanding in while breaking the Honda Center curse last October. It could be a solid move from a confidence managing perspective.

...but I don’t think confidence is an issue with Smith. I think he’s beyond “bouncing back” at this stage and is what he is. I do understand the team needing to see if they can’t get him to rebound though, but in my eyes he doesn’t have much rope left. If he crumbles tomorrow...
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #40
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I seem to recall one of the intangibles that people mentioned when Neal signed is that he's had good success playing in Anaheim.

Checking the stats: Neal has 10 points in 12 games played in Anaheim over his career. No other current Flames forward has more than 6 total points in Anaheim.

Seems like a good time to promote him.