Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2022, 11:42 AM   #3321
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I'm astonished that Tre didn't think to ask Sam if he wanted to stay after he fired Ward, his main reason for wanting a change of scenery. Given how Francis bungled the Seattle expansion draft I don't think he was a risk to be selected either.

I was under the assumption that he just didn't want to play for Treliving specifically and thats why he got dealt.

But yeah if Sam was willing to have a crack at it with Darryl and still got dealt, that's the level of shortsightedness I'd expect from Chiarelli and not Tre.
You are? He went public, they were moving him for that. I see it as much more petty than how you see it. Can’t see a scenario where Treliving asks Sam if he could pretty please give the flames another chance.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:43 AM   #3322
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Obviously he did change his mind as he was happy under Darryl and did not think he would be traded. Definite fuel for the fire BT crowd.
It was clear that Darryl came into the fold looking to give Bennett a fresh look and fresh opportunity, and he did that. But after some time, Sutter had Bennett back more or less into the roles Sam found himself in under previous coaches. To me, that tells me that Sutter made his evaluation based on what he saw from Sam and was aligned with trading him.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 12:13 PM   #3323
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
It was clear that Darryl came into the fold looking to give Bennett a fresh look and fresh opportunity, and he did that. But after some time, Sutter had Bennett back more or less into the roles Sam found himself in under previous coaches. To me, that tells me that Sutter made his evaluation based on what he saw from Sam and was aligned with trading him.

Bennett left Calgary with 5 points in his last 4 games and Sutter had started using him on the PK
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 12:15 PM   #3324
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Bennett left Calgary with 5 points in his last 4 games and Sutter had started using him on the PK
Sutter was also using Monahan on PK. He tends to use it as an ice time thing.

I think Bennett would have thrived under Sutter, but maybe not like he has in Fla - either production wise or in overall effectiveness.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:35 PM   #3325
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting. I wonder what his stat line looked like for all games since Sutter took over going back to the season before? Clearly, Bennett had a good run in those 4 games leading up to the trade, but might be a case of big picture, Sutter felt that Bennett was exposable.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:58 PM   #3326
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
couple things; I would tend to think part of Sutter coming back included his say/input on on player personnel decisions and I strongly suspect he knew of Bennett's trade request. Doubt very much he was brought in to salvage the relationship, if at all possible, either.

I don't read too much in how Sutter utilized him, Bennett had one foot out the door and the other stepping through it probably since Ward had him playing down the lineup after the bubble. From what I could tell it definitely seemed as though the player had quit on the coach. For all we know the intent was to pump and dump Bennett for whatever time was left before the deadline. There was also the impending expansion draft and IIRC conversations between Francis and GM's around the league were underway. If Treliving knew, or strongly suspected, the Kraken were going to take Bennett, better to get something for him. Better yet, send him across the continent. Nice that Sam had complimentary things to say about Sutter but there were obviously larger issues at play. Had the Flames been able to hire Sutter in 2019/20 like it sounds like they wanted to then things probably play out a lot differently.

The die was cast here. Treliving knew it, Farris knew it, Bennett, despite his public comments, probably knew it too.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 01:12 PM   #3327
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
So when Sutter said he wished he had more time with Sam he was just publicly throwing Treliving under the bus for some other reason?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 01:25 PM   #3328
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

i think people are reading a lot more into the Sutter/Bennett thing than is actually there.

Sutter could have clearly put his input into keeping Bennett, if he had wanted.

Having Bennett on the top line was more about showcasing him before a trade in order to increase his value.

The "wish I had more time" comment was all about being polite to the an exiting player and keeping the trading partner satisfied. Sutter wasn't going to state something along the lines of, "he wasn't the player we wanted when we drafted him and he whined, and it was great we managed to rip Florida off".
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 01:29 PM   #3329
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He never rescinded his trade request.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:29 PM   #3330
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
i think people are reading a lot more into the Sutter/Bennett thing than is actually there.

Sutter could have clearly put his input into keeping Bennett, if he had wanted.

Having Bennett on the top line was more about showcasing him before a trade in order to increase his value.

The "wish I had more time" comment was all about being polite to the an exiting player and keeping the trading partner satisfied. Sutter wasn't going to state something along the lines of, "he wasn't the player we wanted when we drafted him and he whined, and it was great we managed to rip Florida off".

Yeah, Bennett may be doing ok with Huberdeau.

But Calgary got Emil ####ing Heineman!

Fleecing complete
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:31 PM   #3331
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
So when Sutter said he wished he had more time with Sam he was just publicly throwing Treliving under the bus for some other reason?
I'm also not sure how Sutter is supposed to answer the question, as I believe he was directly asked about Sam in that scrum.

I'm sure he would have liked more time with Sam, and I'm not sure it's even throwing Treliving under the bus.

Unfortunately with Sam already publically asking for a trade, and being a pending RFA, the fuse was already lit.

Bennett had played pretty well under Sutter too in the 16 games he played for him.

TOI: 188:54 (8TH Among forwards)
xGF%: 54.4% (5th)
GF: 9 (7th)
GA: 13 (2nd worst)

Goals: 1 (8th)
Assists: 7 (1st)

So he had started to show some flashes, and had a run where his on-ice shooting percentage was high, and save percentage was really low in that stretch.

But it wasn't like he turned it around overnight under Sutter either.

He literally went to Florida and it worked from the first second he stepped on the ice, and that's what makes me think it just wouldn't have worked out here.

Whether it's Huberdeau, the Panthers system, playing more at center, or Bennett just needing that fresh start and the warm Florida air...something worked for him there that wasn't working here, even with Sutter as coach.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:35 PM   #3332
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
He never rescinded his trade request.
Without the proper paperwork the die was cast.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:12 PM   #3333
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny to go back and read the first 30-40 pages of this thread.

Pretty much consensus that the Flames got a good return for Bennett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Can't argue with the return, that's a nice job by Treliving under difficult circumstances.

I'm still sad about this though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Holy f****** huge W

Well done, Tre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
That's an incredible haul for Bennett, especially considering his inconsistencies and current role on a below average team.

Well done Treliving. Great, great trade.

The upside is I get to still cheer for him on the Panthers and watch him blossom in the playoffs again! I know coach Q will enjoy his style, as long as he keeps the penalties at a minimum.

I sincerely hope this is their year to go on a run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAreOne View Post
@DarrenWHaynes

Man, that is some shrewd GM-ing from Brad Treliving to get that kind of haul for Bennett with the Seattle expansion draft looming over all NHL transactions right now. He was unlikely to be protected and there was a real risk that he was going to be gone to the Kraken for nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
That is a spectacular return for a player with very limited impact on the game. Shocked to see someone roll the dice and be willing to be on the hook for that $2.55M qualifier. Great job by Treliving. Flames got better today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Getting a 2nd for Bennett is a really good pick up.

Decent day for Tre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Still very happy with the return.

FLA definitely paid specifically for playoff Benny as they have post season aspirations.
Then Bennett started hot in Florida and all the complaints started.

And it's fair to complain about how he was leveraged in his time in Calgary, but really it's funny because without the benefit of hindsight the resounding thought was it was a good deal for Calgary.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 02:22 PM   #3334
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Great place to send Sam. Even if he figures it out he is in Florida so who cares?
Lol
Old 01-18-2022, 02:23 PM   #3335
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He was being decent to a guy headed out the door. I've done the same with employees who leave.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:24 PM   #3336
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The WPHL didn't fail under Treliving is the point. It grew.

And yes, what happened with the NAHL was that the pro team was replaced, with junior teams with the same owners, the same arenas and the same name.

It's nice that you can still find evidence for maybe 3 of the teams but I don't know how to make inferences about Treliving from that. I've lost the plot on this, I just thought it was ridiculous there was a pro hockey league with teams in some of these places.

I have no idea what Treliving did or didn't do beyond what it says in Wikipedia.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:25 PM   #3337
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Lol
Just imagine he was playing this way in another Canadian market. Still happy we sent him to Florida over almost any other market. I am happy he is doing well. If he was doing this on the Leafs?!?! Oh man that would be brutal
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:27 PM   #3338
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It's nice that you can still find evidence for maybe 3 of the teams but I don't know how to make inferences about Treliving from that. I've lost the plot on this, I just thought it was ridiculous there was a pro hockey league with teams in some of these places.

I have no idea what Treliving did or didn't do beyond what it says in Wikipedia.
6 teams grew to 18 and then Treliving left, and after that they merged (about 6 teams). That much is in wikipedia (and there's other info out there).
Old 01-18-2022, 02:29 PM   #3339
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It's funny to go back and read the first 30-40 pages of this thread.

Pretty much consensus that the Flames got a good return for Bennett.

Then Bennett started hot in Florida and all the complaints started.

And it's fair to complain about how he was leveraged in his time in Calgary, but really it's funny because without the benefit of hindsight the resounding thought was it was a good deal for Calgary.
Yeah, I still don’t have a huge problem with the return given how things played out. Once a player goes public with a trade request, what can you do? The damage had been done at that point.

…I just wish it never got to that point

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-18-2022 at 02:33 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 02:30 PM   #3340
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I'm also not sure how Sutter is supposed to answer the question, as I believe he was directly asked about Sam in that scrum.
This came from an interview Sam did after the trade, he said that Sutter
said this to him in a private convo after he was dealt, and IIRC also said that he knew Quenneville personally and would give him a call for him.

Not sure if that changes anything because as long as Monahan and Backlund stuck around, he probably would never have gotten that chance. But Sutter seems like a pretty genuine person who means what he says, especially in private.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote