Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2020, 04:14 PM   #3961
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Nice. Anyone else with a tangible reduction in commute or regular drives?
I take 14th to and from work and congestion seems much lighter than before and it makes sense.

I take NB 14th to eastbound Glenmore and most days, 95% of the traffic moving NB on 14th is making its way to westbound Glenmore (pre ring road). Granted, not 100% sure where most of that traffic originated but sure seems like a good chunk of it has moved to the new portion of the ring road.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 04:33 PM   #3962
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Southland will be faster. Only two sets of lights (same as Anderson) and eastbound traffic is light.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:11 PM   #3963
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Ok, rant here:

Had to use WB Stoney to SB Macleod exit fir the first time since construction. The permanent signage appears to be in place there, but MAKES NO MENTION of needing to exit there in order to turn southbound onto Macleod Trail. I’ve now driven it another time to confirm. Unacceptable.

So after I miss that exit, and have to go all the way to James Mackevitt to turn around, I come back East bound. They have a temporary exit to SB Macleod currently. Luckily I didn’t miss it, AS THERE IS NO SIGNAGE OF ANY KIND signalling tgat this is where to turn to get onto SB Macleod.

How do the people managing this still have jobs?
Old 10-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #3964
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you get onto Westhills way going west on stoney? We missed the turn because we didn't see any signs and looped back at 69th st. Could have been on us though.

Don't get me started on the absolute terrible design of the 69th st overpass. Holy hell that is a disaster.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 01:37 PM   #3965
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Can you get onto Westhills way going west on stoney? We missed the turn because we didn't see any signs and looped back at 69th st. Could have been on us though.

Don't get me started on the absolute terrible design of the 69th st overpass. Holy hell that is a disaster.
I believe the merge from SB Sarcee & WB Glenmore onto WB Stoney negates access to Westhills from N/W bound Stoney.

69th seems pretty bad right now. Things have improved with the lights working and they might get better yet once all the lanes are opened, but it still doesn't seem like the best design, despite the limitations.

Regardless of that, the light timing needs a massive overhaul - they're clearly calibrated to accommodate full traffic volumes from the west which won't be a factor until that portion of the road is open. We don't need equal light timing for EB traffic turning north onto 69th yet...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #3966
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I believe the merge from SB Sarcee & WB Glenmore onto WB Stoney negates access to Westhills from N/W bound Stoney.

69th seems pretty bad right now. Things have improved with the lights working and they might get better yet once all the lanes are opened, but it still doesn't seem like the best design, despite the limitations.

Regardless of that, the light timing needs a massive overhaul - they're clearly calibrated to accommodate full traffic volumes from the west which won't be a factor until that portion of the road is open. We don't need equal light timing for EB traffic turning north onto 69th yet...
The fact there are 2 lights within 100 m heading south on 69th should in itself be a fireable offence.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 03:07 PM   #3967
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I took Southland all the way to 101 on the new Ring Road yesterday but I couldn't take 101 back to Southland.. Did I make an error or is that road just not open yet
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #3968
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
As much of a cluster#### as it is over at the Sarcee to 37th section of EB Glenmore, where can the cops hide? The only way is to park their SUV in that painted no-go area in the middle of that 5-lane merge, and it will be a multi-car collision disaster waiting to happen...
Drove this bit on the weekend (EB Glenmore to NB Sarcee on the way to Westhills). Light traffic but still a whole lot of not good. Buddy in front of me in the left lane was obeying the posted limit when it dropped to 60, and a few seconds later we were overtaken by people in the right lane doing the prior 80 and people behind me overtaking on the right and then immediately merging left again to get to Westhills as well.

I'm not an engineer, but nothing about the radius of that turn felt like it warranted a drop from 80, at all. At 60 it felt like crawling through the interchange. I wonder if the engineering standards that govern setting those speed limits tend to lag improvements in vehicle performance over the years? In any event that strip invites a big increase relative speed differences between vehicles which felt a lot less safe than making the turn itself.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #3969
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The short answer is NO. I tried to go NB Stoney/Tsuutina from Coscto, then continued on WB Stoney thinking I could exit to Westhills Way, but nope, there is no such exit. I could only get off at 69 st.

It means that if I want to go to the Westhills shopping area, I will need to exit to Sarcee and go through the whole Richmond Road intersection. Not sure why they don't make an exit to Westhills Way. Isn't that they build Westhills Way to eliminate the exact Sarcee/Richmond Road congestion?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #3970
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The short answer is NO. I tried to go NB Stoney/Tsuutina from Coscto, then continued on WB Stoney thinking I could exit to Westhills Way, but nope, there is no such exit. I could only get off at 69 st.

It means that if I want to go to the Westhills shopping area, I will need to exit to Sarcee and go through the whole Richmond Road intersection. Not sure why they don't make an exit to Westhills Way. Isn't that they build Westhills Way to eliminate the exact Sarcee/Richmond Road congestion?

Yeah if you're going west on Glenmore you can get onto it but Tsuutina/Stoney doesn't merge with Glenmore until after the exit for Westhills Way.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #3971
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Ok, rant here:

Had to use WB Stoney to SB Macleod exit fir the first time since construction. The permanent signage appears to be in place there, but MAKES NO MENTION of needing to exit there in order to turn southbound onto Macleod Trail. I’ve now driven it another time to confirm. Unacceptable.

So after I miss that exit, and have to go all the way to James Mackevitt to turn around, I come back East bound. They have a temporary exit to SB Macleod currently. Luckily I didn’t miss it, AS THERE IS NO SIGNAGE OF ANY KIND signalling tgat this is where to turn to get onto SB Macleod.

I know that there was temporary signage set up that said to turn there to go southbound on McLeod, but I haven't noticed that on the sign TBH.

What gets me mad about that overheard sign is that at the top of it there are two arrows pointing right, and at the bottom of the sign it says 'must exit'. I assume that there are two lanes than can exit but there's only one open. I've seen so many drivers have to quickly get into the right lane next to the shoulder because they thought they can also exit from middle lane instead.

In between the Chapparal/Sundance and McLeod interchanges on WB Stoney they've moved lanes so often, and painted, repainted, and painted over old line markings, that when the sun is setting you can't tell what lane to be in because of all the reflections.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #3972
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure why they don't make an exit to Westhills Way.
Wouldn't fit.

Quote:
Isn't that they build Westhills Way to eliminate the exact Sarcee/Richmond Road congestion?
It still largely accomplishes this, as the vast majority the traffic accessing it would be coming from WB Glenmore and not NB Stoney. More importantly, it is not required as Westhills Way can be accessed via Tsuut'ina Parkway (the previous exit) when it opens - but it's just a jurisdictional technicality that the Nation doesn't want this completed until there is corresponding development.

Not the fault of Alberta Transportation, they designed it correctly.

Spoiler!

Quote:
It doesn't say north or south, it just says Macleod Trail, the implication being that the exit is for both directions. Once you exit, it then specifies the left lanes for Macleod Trail south/Lethbridge, or Macleod Trail north/City Centre to the right. That is how major junctions are signed everywhere else on both ring roads.

I am perhaps misunderstanding you.

Last edited by Acey; 10-26-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 06:33 PM   #3973
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The fact there are 2 lights within 100 m heading south on 69th should in itself be a fireable offence.
I still don't get everyone's line of thinking here and why the engineers should be fired. What is a better solution than traffic lights here? This post is illogical without presentation of an alternative. Spoiler alert: traffic lights are the best solution, given the aforementioned constraint of being unable to construct a direct ramp from WB Glenmore/Stoney to NB 69 St due to the existence of Westhills Way. Even with the loop ramp to make the weave as long as possible the minimum weave distance there was waived. I'm not saying everything on the ring roads is designed 100% optimally but when something appears to be an absolutely blatant and cheap solution and isn't built that way, then it probably isn't a blatant and cheap solution...

Yeah, nobody is getting fired for what was undoubtedly an absurd number of man hours pouring over that to find the optimal design given the constraints.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:52 PM   #3974
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even with Westhills Way there seems to be plenty of room to have put a direct ramp from WB Glenmore to NB 69 St.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:57 PM   #3975
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Even with Westhills Way there seems to be plenty of room to have put a direct ramp from WB Glenmore to NB 69 St.
As per the standards there isn't at the 110 design speed... even with the loop it's already waived below the minimum.

We're just used to trash weaves on Deerfoot that are grandfathered. Whether or not a trash weave here is acceptable in the name of convenience is another discussion, I just don't like the implication that they chose not to build one out of incompetence.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:20 PM   #3976
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
As per the standards there isn't at the 110 design speed... even with the loop it's already waived below the minimum.

We're just used to trash weaves on Deerfoot that are grandfathered. Whether or not a trash weave here is acceptable in the name of convenience is another discussion, I just don't like the implication that they chose not to build one out of incompetence.

Maybe not incompetence, but everyone I talk to who drives through it regularly thinks it is a complete mess.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:24 PM   #3977
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, rant here:

It says Lethbridge on the sign as of about 6 pm today
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:25 PM   #3978
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
It doesn't say north or south, it just says Macleod Trail, the implication being that the exit is for both directions. Once you exit, it then specifies the left lanes for Macleod Trail south/Lethbridge, or Macleod Trail north/City Centre to the right. That is how major junctions are signed everywhere else on both ring roads.

I am perhaps misunderstanding you.
The sign says northbound Macleod Trail - City Centre, as does the advance one on the side of the road.

It says nothing about southbound.

After the main turnoff from Stoney, there is a sign at the second lane split.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:27 PM   #3979
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It says Lethbridge on the sign as of about 6 pm today
It says that on the sign at the second split, not at the sign from the main exit off of Stoney.
GGG
Old 10-26-2020, 11:30 PM   #3980
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The advance sign with "north" on it should be at or after the gore point, if it isn't that will get fixed in audit. I understand how it might be confusing, but it exists elsewhere. 3 km away, Eastbound Stoney SE at Deerfoot makes no advanced mention of "City Centre" until the second set of signs - the exact same formula. In this particular instance at Macleod/22X, they've chosen to include "City Centre" on the first gantry as most traffic exiting will be going north, but correctly followed the formula by not including "north" on it. Ultimately what determines the first gantry signs is the lane configuration after the gore point, and to that end they have done it correctly.

Of note is that the signage was all done by AB Trans and the general incompetence of detours and temporary signage by the road builders KGL is unrelated.

Red arrows pointing at the technically correct but potentially confusing sign:
Spoiler!