Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #141
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
I am curious to what teams are drafting and developing NHL goalies on a regular basis, serious question. Anaheim jumps to mind and maybe LA, but outside of that is there anyone else? What are teams doing to successfully develop goalies that this team isn't doing.

Guys like MacDonald and Gillies had tons of physical tools, but they just never seemed to be able to develop their games mentally. Both IMO were prone to mental lapses, and that really held their game back.

With Parsons I see a guy who is small so he has to compensate for that with quickness, but sometimes that means he is too busy in the net and moving too much. The struggle for him is to not over commit to the initial shot. I think he is stronger mentally than the other two, it's just refining his game technically.

Wolf has a lot of similarities to Parsons, the test will be how he adjusts to the pro game.
Washington developed Holtby, Varlamov, Samsonov, Grubauer, Neuvirth off the top of my head.
In fact, pretty much every goalie they've played since 2009 has become at starter in some form. Everyone except Pheonix Copley.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 09-10-2020 at 12:34 PM.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #142
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Washington developed Holtby, Varlamov, Samsonov, Grubauer, Neuvirth off the top of my head.
In fact, pretty much every goalie they've played since 2009 has become at starter in some form. Everyone except Pheonix Copley.
So looking at Washington, one thing that jumps out is that they have had a person on staff whose title is Director of Goaltending for quite awhile. Calgary doesn't have that position. So maybe that is what they need to find, have someone who is a traveling goaltending coach that can help all the goalies in the organization.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:11 PM   #143
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Are they including Lafrienniere or not?

I would assume no. Even without that, NYR is disgustingly rich as far as young potential. Find out tomorrow, I guess.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:30 AM   #144
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I would assume no. Even without that, NYR is disgustingly rich as far as young potential. Find out tomorrow, I guess.

No Lafreniere, and some really good players, but I don't see how they're number one without him.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #145
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
No Lafreniere, and some really good players, but I don't see how they're number one without him.
I think Fox is very highly valued.
Shame that when we find a late round gem, we get screwed.
I don't understand why NCAA players aren't forced to re-enter the draft if they choose not to sign.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #146
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
I don't understand why NCAA players aren't forced to re-enter the draft if they choose not to sign.

Probably because after 4 years of college or university they're too old to be in the draft.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:57 PM   #147
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Probably because after 4 years of college or university they're too old to be in the draft.
Change the rules. Maybe a supplemental draft? Or some type of waiver wire type process.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 01:13 AM   #148
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
I like the rule as it is. The draft itself is wildly anti-democratic & anti-capitalist. Imagine coming out of University and being told you could only work for one company in your field. Sure, sure, there are extenuating circumstances in sports, but the notion that an adult can't have any agency over where they choose to work is insane.

Four years of rights-ownership coming out of the draft is exactly the right amount for the NHL.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 01:22 AM   #149
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Anti-capitalist? Wut?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 06:50 AM   #150
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
I like the rule as it is. The draft itself is wildly anti-democratic & anti-capitalist. Imagine coming out of University and being told you could only work for one company in your field. Sure, sure, there are extenuating circumstances in sports, but the notion that an adult can't have any agency over where they choose to work is insane.

Four years of rights-ownership coming out of the draft is exactly the right amount for the NHL.
That's pretty flawed logic. When you graduate university you are free to work for any company in the industry you chose providing they are interested in your services. A lot of times people have to move to go where the work is as if Microsoft hires you it's not like you can demand them to place you in a facility that suits your fancy. A hockey player doesn't have to play in the NHL if he doesn't want to so they do have agency over where they choose to work. It's a privilege to be drafted by an NHL team not a right of any hockey player and being drafted doesn't mean you have to play in the NHL as the player can go to europe or play college hockey. If living in Winnipeg for 6 or 7 months a year collecting more money that the average person makes in their lifetime was really that difficult then wouldn't we see players opt not to play in the NHL?

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-16-2020 at 06:53 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #151
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah you really need to look at the NHL as a single employer and then it doesn't seem so "anti-capitalist".

But the poster does have a bit of a point. Pro sports leagues in the US receive special anti trust relief and MLB famously is granted full immunity from all anti trust laws.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:12 AM   #152
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pronman did a post draft ranking

Interesting notes
Canucks lack of picks sent them from 3rd overall to 8th overall

Pronman loves him some Zary as he is ranked ahead of Dube and is number 2 to Tkachuk on the Flames list. Also the Flames jumped from 12 to 10!

Oilers up to 24 from 26

Rangers obviously continue to hold down the top spot
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #153
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post

I think one tweak to the rule should be that if you offer the player the max rookie contract he is eligible for, then you retain his rights. Almost like a qualifying offer type of idea.

Then at least the team can trade the player without him walking away at the deadline for free.

And really I feel like that’s fair. If a team drafted you and is willing to give you the rookie max deal then they should retain your rights, but nothing forces you sign still and the player can still ask for a trade.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:23 AM   #154
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Pronman did a post draft ranking

Interesting notes
Canucks lack of picks sent them from 3rd overall to 8th overall

Pronman loves him some Zary as he is ranked ahead of Dube and is number 2 to Tkachuk on the Flames list. Also the Flames jumped from 12 to 10!

Oilers up to 24 from 26

Rangers obviously continue to hold down the top spot
I also thought Poirier ahead of Pelletier was interesting.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 08:52 AM   #155
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Poirier is highly thought of by many.
JD Burke at Elite Prospects called him the value pick of the entire draft.
Quote:
Poirier was the pick of the draft in the third-round. He has a chance to develop into a 50-point defenceman at the NHL level. He’ll need careful development, but he’s worth the trouble.
And from a different article -
Quote:
Jérémie Poirier, Calgary Flames, Third-Round, 72nd Overall

The Calgary Flames taking Jérémie Poirier in the middle of the third-round represented the greatest surplus value extracted from a pick at this year’s draft, and I don’t think it’s especially close. It’s even better when one considers that the Flames traded down in the first-round to add the pick they used on Poirier.

Am I surprised Poirier fell to the third-round? No, not necessarily. His warts in the defensive zone alone could prove enough to ward a team off entirely, never mind the very real concerns that many teams shared about his developmental environment in Saint John.

At some point, Poirier merited the risk, and it was a much earlier point than the 72nd pick in the draft. He’s one of the five or ten best playmakers in this draft, regardless of position, and that’s the type of player I’d extend myself to great lengths to acquire. — J.D. Burke
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #156
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Zary really is better than Dubé or Valimaki, that's really exciting
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:03 PM   #157
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Poirier is highly thought of by many.
JD Burke at Elite Prospects called him the value pick of the entire draft.

JD Burke is also not very good at his job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
If Zary really is better than Dubé or Valimaki, that's really exciting
Always be wary of Pronman Predictions. Dube especially is going to be a hell of a player. If Pronman were to be believed Middlestadt is still about to break out and be a better player than both Cale Makar and Elias Pettersson.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 10-20-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #158
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Messy breakup with Canucks Army?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:54 PM   #159
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I always forget he was there. No, he just isn't very good at evaluating.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-20-2020, 02:09 PM   #160
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Always be wary of Pronman Predictions. Dube especially is going to be a hell of a player. If Pronman were to be believed Middlestadt is still about to break out and be a better player than both Cale Makar and Elias Pettersson.
Yeah I find it hard to rank junior players above players that have shown flashes of brilliance in the NHL. Unless the junior is a sure thing like Lafreniere
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote