Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2023, 02:29 PM   #2901
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Landing on USB C is a win for having the same plug and port physically but with so many different protocols and services that can be delivered over it being different from one chipset to the next cable...

It's like having the same power outlet plug but it can handle every type of voltage and also delivers water to your kitchen sink depending on what you plug it into.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 02:54 PM   #2902
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
USB standards are frustrating. You’re talking about USB 3.1 Gen 2. USB 3.1 Gen 1 was USB 3.0 before they renamed it. Wtf?

Edit: I think I’m wrong but it’s not worth looking up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

According to the diagram, 2.0 was the revised one. 3.0 and 3.1 are separate, but apparently we're in 4.0 and 4.0 v2. I agree with the gist of what you're saying though. USB standards are weird.

Also, why is it 4.0 v2 vs 4.1? Bizarre.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2023, 03:03 PM   #2903
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It's like HDMI but worse. I had to try 5 different cables until I found the one that let me get HDR on TV from my PS5 after I moved a bunch of stuff around and neglected to keep track of what cable was what.

Eventually I just recycled all the unknown cables.

Pretty glad I don't have to care about the different standards for USB-C currently, they're crazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2023, 12:30 PM   #2904
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally bit the bullet yesterday after I encountered some annoyances with my iPhone 11 Pro over my trip (mainly waning battery endurance -- 86% battery health will do that), so I ordered an iPhone 15 Pro and have already started ordering accessories, such as Thunderbolt 4 and USB-A>USB-C cables for my cars and so on.

For the cars in particular, picked up a pair of these bad-boys: https://a.co/d/aQG1LwR
According to reviews, they work for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, which basically future-proofs the cable and the infotainment upgrades I've done / will be doing. Great if you have a co-pilot who wants to use their phone for CarPlay / AA, or if you sell the vehicle down the line.

Also picked up new JETech tempered glass screen protectors and a very nice looking leather case for it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2023, 12:58 PM   #2905
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
Any suggestions on places to replace a battery other than the Apple Store? I went to a couple places around 16th and Centre, and they quotes over $100 for a 12 mini replacement. If that's the price I'll just go to Apple for a bit more.
Thanks for the affirmation folks. Went to the Apple Store for a battery, and even ended up getting a new screen, as they cracked my old one. Not sure if a 3rd party place would have done that for me.
Old 12-05-2023, 01:20 PM   #2906
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
For the cars in particular, picked up a pair of these bad-boys: https://a.co/d/aQG1LwR
According to reviews, they work for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, which basically future-proofs the cable and the infotainment upgrades I've done / will be doing. Great if you have a co-pilot who wants to use their phone for CarPlay / AA, or if you sell the vehicle down the line
Let me know how those cables work, as I'll likely be purchasing the same for our vehicles.

Did you get any magnetic phone mounts or such? I was considering some type of MagSafe charging mount, but read they all max out at 7.5w charging (except for the $$$ Belkin one).
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 01:53 PM   #2907
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Finally bit the bullet yesterday after I encountered some annoyances with my iPhone 11 Pro over my trip (mainly waning battery endurance -- 86% battery health will do that), so I ordered an iPhone 15 Pro and have already started ordering accessories, such as Thunderbolt 4 and USB-A>USB-C cables for my cars and so on.

According to reviews, they work for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, which basically future-proofs the cable and the infotainment upgrades I've done / will be doing. Great if you have a co-pilot who wants to use their phone for CarPlay / AA, or if you sell the vehicle down the line.

Also picked up new JETech tempered glass screen protectors and a very nice looking leather case for it.
For car cables, I usually buy shorter 3 in 1 cables for charging. The extra length isn't necessary and the 3 in 1 allows charging of other people's devices or other things (ie: Accessories).

https://www.amazon.ca/Charging-USAMS...9&sr=8-18&th=1

https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Powerlin...59&sr=8-7&th=1

As for future proofing cables for Carplay and Android Auto... umm... the future of those infotainment systems is via wifi. You can already get $200-300 dollar screens that are wifi connection and adapters for converting a wired Android auto/Apple car play to wireless for around $50-150. No need to include the adapter when you sell the car. Re-sell it on the side or use it as a negotiating chip as an extra inclusion when you sell the car. But if you're potentially doing infotainment upgrades, why not choose one with wireless AA and Carplay built in?

I think you're probably better off with that sleek attempt, if you're in a vehicle with the wired infotainment to your phone. It's a pain in the ass to have wires all over the place. You're probably going to end up with a vehicle with wireless infotainment sooner or later.

For a phone holder, I either use a gravity holder in one vehicle, or this in my other vehicle:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I like being able to pivot the phone to a location that works well and doesn't block other buttons/displays.

Wireless charging holders would not be useful for you if you are wiring your phone to use AA or Carplay. But if you do wireless AA and carplay, then wireless charging makes a lot of sense.
Old 12-05-2023, 01:57 PM   #2908
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One vehicle doesn't have CarPlay so I was considering a wireless charger for it. Cable and mount is a lot cheaper though, and probably less prone to issues.
Old 12-05-2023, 01:58 PM   #2909
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

This cable looks cool. Shame about the brand name though.

https://a.co/d/3jQGJPw

I use these ESR screen protectors. They fit perfectly and the black border adds to the looks.

https://a.co/d/6nArT6J
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 02:12 PM   #2910
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Speaking of CarPlay, has anyone tried a standalone CarPlay screen? I imagine they’re not as good as ones that gets installed but they are cheaper. I’ll probably be buying a new vehicle next fall and it’ll definitely have CarPlay so I’m looking for something in the meantime.
Old 12-05-2023, 03:33 PM   #2911
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m considering upgrading my iPhone 13 Pro Max to the 15 PM in January or February. Anyone have experience trading a phone in?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 03:00 AM   #2912
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Speaking of CarPlay, has anyone tried a standalone CarPlay screen? I imagine they’re not as good as ones that gets installed but they are cheaper. I’ll probably be buying a new vehicle next fall and it’ll definitely have CarPlay so I’m looking for something in the meantime.
Something like this?

Wireless for Apple Car play Portable Car Stereo with 2.5K Dash Cam Front and Rear, 9'' Touch Screen Carplay Car Radio, Android Auto,1080p Backup Camera, Loop Recording, GPS Navigation, Mirror Link,AUX https://a.co/d/3FeDOFc

This is the one I use and it's great. Wireless connection and dash cam built in. It's literally better than the wired carplay I have in my other vehicle which is a '19 odyssey. integration into vehicle is the only draw back. It had screen mirroring if I want to too, but I haven't tried it yet. Might be able to play movies on it for the kids. Can't do mirroring on the wired unit. My complaints about it is that the 9” screen is a little too big on the dash and the plug in wire takes up space. Maybe their 6.86 inch one might have been a better choice… oh well.

I think there's smaller ones that you can replace your rear view mirror with making it really sleek. My car has the garage door integrated into the rear view mirror so that didn't work for me hence going with this one, but the rear view ones might be an option for others.

Last edited by DoubleF; 12-06-2023 at 03:05 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2023, 09:44 AM   #2913
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I had a vehicle that didn't have a pre-existing screen to integrate with, I would do something like what DoubleF is using for CarPlay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Did you get any magnetic phone mounts or such? I was considering some type of MagSafe charging mount, but read they all max out at 7.5w charging (except for the $$$ Belkin one).
Nah, I have spring-loaded Spigen CD-tray mounts in both vehicles that work a treat. I don't like magnetic mounts and some phone cases aren't very good for MagSafe. Plus I don't need to always be charging the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
For car cables, I usually buy shorter 3 in 1 cables for charging. The extra length isn't necessary and the 3 in 1 allows charging of other people's devices or other things (ie: Accessories).
Typically so would I, but for my purposes, I'm doing an infotainment upgrade, so this 2-in-1 cable will essentially 'live' in the car and not be removed ever (routed from the rear navigation computer through interior panels, and exiting into the center console).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2023, 12:11 PM   #2914
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Typically so would I, but for my purposes, I'm doing an infotainment upgrade, so this 2-in-1 cable will essentially 'live' in the car and not be removed ever (routed from the rear navigation computer through interior panels, and exiting into the center console).
Are you building a spy mobile??
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2023, 01:31 PM   #2915
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Are you building a spy mobile??
It's the right brand.

The factory navigation computer my upgrade piggybacks onto lives in the rear storage compartment, so I need a good length of cable to route it to the front of the cabin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2023, 02:15 PM   #2916
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A 16 year kid has reversed engineered iMessage and it is now possible to register any phone with the iMessage service. Already an app out that can send imessages from any phone.

God, this blue bubble bull#### Apple created is just silly.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2023, 03:48 PM   #2917
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Something like this?

Wireless for Apple Car play Portable Car Stereo with 2.5K Dash Cam Front and Rear, 9'' Touch Screen Carplay Car Radio, Android Auto,1080p Backup Camera, Loop Recording, GPS Navigation, Mirror Link,AUX https://a.co/d/3FeDOFc

This is the one I use and it's great. Wireless connection and dash cam built in. It's literally better than the wired carplay I have in my other vehicle which is a '19 odyssey. integration into vehicle is the only draw back. It had screen mirroring if I want to too, but I haven't tried it yet. Might be able to play movies on it for the kids. Can't do mirroring on the wired unit. My complaints about it is that the 9” screen is a little too big on the dash and the plug in wire takes up space. Maybe their 6.86 inch one might have been a better choice… oh well.

I think there's smaller ones that you can replace your rear view mirror with making it really sleek. My car has the garage door integrated into the rear view mirror so that didn't work for me hence going with this one, but the rear view ones might be an option for others.
That’s exactly what I’m looking for. They only seem to be made by random Chinese companies so it’s tough to know which ones are decent.

A 7” model would probably work best for me but thanks for letting me know that one isn’t junk.
Old 12-06-2023, 04:46 PM   #2918
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, those CarPlay, Android Auto displays are cool. Might be worth picking one up for the old car as i doubt I replace it in the next year. I do wish they were from more of a recognized name but good to know they work well. I currently just mount the phone but a permanent setup with wireless access would be great.

Is there any fear of these being stolen or are people removing them when not int he car?
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 04:56 PM   #2919
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you’re worried about it getting stolen probably best to get an in-dash unit installed. I got a Sony XAV put into my 2005 Prius a few years back and it has been great — helped with the new car itch too, now I can just wait for EV tech and supply chains to mature.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 06:31 PM   #2920
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
A 16 year kid has reversed engineered iMessage and it is now possible to register any phone with the iMessage service. Already an app out that can send imessages from any phone.
The fun's already over, Apple's blocked it. While I wish there was normal interoperability with iMessage from Android trying to get around Apple's protections isn't the way to do it.