Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #281
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
I also miss the Calgary Cannons. AAA Baseball here in Calgary, ticket cost $5. Seriously, I got to see Danny Tartabull, Alex Rodriguez, Bret Boone, Danny Bautista.....and those were just the hometown heroes.
Don't forget Tino Martinez!

My brush with fame came when he and his gf walked into the DQ across McMahon where I worked and I made them both soft ice cream cones.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #282
mrdeeds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How about the old show, Switchback? Loved old Humble Howard.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #283
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I do want to add a reiteration for Buckshot.

People underestimate the importance of these types of show for the extent of their reach and their value to the community.

I'd also like to second people who brought up:

- The Attic
- The Underground which was downstairs from the Warehouse, played better music, had murals drawn on the walls and old car seats as seating
- Fox and Firkin on Electric Ave (not because it was a great place, but just because we were always there)
- Talisman center back when it was Lindsay Park (I'll never understand why sponsors think it useful to rid the city of historic names)
- The Den back when acts like REM, Radiohead, 10000 Maniacs and Green Day came before exploding
- Yucatan's across from McMahon
- Radio Radio (I was amazed you could plug in your TV cable into the stereo!)
- The comic book / card store in Mount Royal Village (forgot the name, so feel free to refresh me)
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #284
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
That nice Mr. Baines from the Calgary Zoo, who used to tour all the elementary schools with critters 'n' fossils.
was going to put this one up also

he'd put the boa constrictor around the neck of the boys with freckles, of which I was one (the three of us semi-dreaded his annual arrival for that reason)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #285
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hate to break it to you all but:

Still Hello Calgary kicks all their asses
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #286
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
As a kid there was a science show on TV out of Calgary. For the love of me I cannot think of the name.
Mr. Wizards World.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #287
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some of the call in shows on 66 CFR were good. Jock Wilson was really good back in the day and the guy before him? was even better. This was before Sofa and Bedroom Depot, Paradise, Lazy Boy etc. etc. Anybody remember any of the commercials from way back when? I sure don't? You could actually listen for hours on end on your transistor radio as your parents thought you were sleeping. There weren't many options as you had sports @ 11, sports desk @ 4:30pm on TSN and then 66 CFR for great Flames talk. XL and then AM106 were also very listenable and they got me started on my Columbia House tape collection in 1984 that included Madonna, Wham, Van Halen, Ozzy, Durran Durran, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Jackson, Lionel Ritchie, Boy George, Tina Turner, Cindi Lauper, and Prince. Still have many of the worn down tapes. Commercials killed the radio stars...so we became our own DJ's...
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #288
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post
Bonanza restaurant. There were a few around, but the ones I remember were in the Food for Less (safeway) parking lot on 32nd ave in the NE and on Mcknight and 4st NE, where the Denny's and A&W are now.

I used to eat so much soft ice cream at that place.
My parents had their wedding banquet at Bonanza where the A&W is now. There are still Bonanzas in Saskatchewan.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #289
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Mr. Wizards World.
Or the late 80's Disneys - Honey, I Shrunk the Kids TV Show. The studio was one of the first uses of the old currie barracks.

I'll always remember it because at a barbicue one day I tried in vain to pick up this hot blonde, her name was Barbara Woods, she was the main star of the show, she shot me down but a fews years later we all got to see her in her birthday suit in "striptease"
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #290
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
My parents had their wedding banquet at Bonanza where the A&W is now. There are still Bonanzas in Saskatchewan.

We always stop in at the one in Moose Jaw close to the #1....if you go on a Rider game day....WOW
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #291
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Or the late 80's Disneys - Honey, I Shrunk the Kids TV Show. The studio was one of the first uses of the old currie barracks.

I'll always remember it because at a barbicue one day I tried in vain to pick up this hot blonde, her name was Barbara Woods, she was the main star of the show, she shot me down but a fews years later we all got to see her in her birthday suit in "striptease"
Wait, I am confused. The Honey I Shrunk the Kids TV show from the Currie Barracks was filmed in the late 90s, not the 80s. This was after Striptease came out. She was like 40 years old when you tried to pick her up.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 07-17-2010 at 01:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #292
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

One of my favourite memories as a kid is going to the Bank of Montreal in Ranchlands with my Dad and Brother. It was, and might still be, just up the street from Ranchlands elementary school.

They had these booths in the back, basically the same kind of dividers as washroom stalls, with doors that locked but inside was a little desk and a chair and a whole bunch of withdrawal and deposit slips and one of those pens chained to the desk.

My brother and I would spend the whole time we were there in these little stalls next to each other pretending to be at "work" in our offices. We'd just scribble all over the deposit slips and pass them back and forth under the divider. Man, we must have wasted a zillion of that banks slips.

Also, big, big shout-out to Bullwinkle's. Best place for a 9-year old's birthday evar. Chuck-e-Cheese's can suck it.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #293
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Guy Weadick, A.E. Cross, Pat Burns and the rest o' them fellers.
I went to Guy Weadick until 1986. My last year was grade 5 with Mr. Boucher. He took his classes to play floor hockey more than any other teacher in the school took their classes.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #294
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Monty's Traveling Reptile Show
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #295
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another one

Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #296
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
Talisman center back when it was Lindsay Park (I'll never understand why sponsors think it useful to rid the city of historic names)
x2. I miss the Olympic Saddledome.

Remember when that dude almost died after riding his GT snoracer down the roof at Lindsay Park and ended up in the parking lot? Must have been 1997/1998-ish.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #297
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post
Some of the call in shows on 66 CFR were good. Jock Wilson was really good back in the day and the guy before him? was even better.
This reminded me of Ken Newans' Stampeder talk - that was a classic post game show!
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #298
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I miss when The Rock played for the Stampeders and A-Rod played for the Cannons.

Actually I don't because nobody had any idea what these guys were.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #299
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Why doesn't Calgary have hot-air balloons like we used to. You see a couple from time to time but I remember when I was a kid there would be a TON in the sky - including the DQ Ice-cream shaped one that got tangled in some wires one time.

But you just don't see them anymore.

What happened?
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #300
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sun-Ice ski coats, where the more flourescent colours incorporated meant the cooler you were.

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time