Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2023, 02:10 AM   #2501
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well in more specific Twitter news, looks like the user data from the breach is being given away for free. Nothing showing up on the haveibeenpwned site though.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:34 AM   #2502
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The EV crowd are trying to de-throne the Vegans as the Kings of Self-Righteousness.

"How do you know if someone has an EV? Dont worry, they'll tell you. Then they'll explain how it saves the World!"

You know someone has an EV because they’ve got a pathologically vapid personalized license plate. Like, a plate so stupid, the only acceptable reason to have it is because your five year old picked it.

But if you, a full grown adult, unironically decide to slap “BATMOBIL” on the ass of your Model X… you’ve fallen victim to a personality cult.

I also can’t help but notice EV honks and crypto bros have a similar vibe.

They’re super excited to tell you how great it is, and how it’s gonna change the world.

They get very defensive when you ask perfectly reasonable questions, like “how does it work? No really, how does it work?” Or “does it do what it’s attempting to do better than the thing it’s attempting to replace?”

For all the important questions, they don’t have an answer, or it’s “no”.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:18 AM   #2503
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I own an EV and you don't hear me telling anyone that it's going to change the world or it's better than ICE. They are great city commuter vehicles but they aren't yet the total package as they just don't make good highway vehicles especially in Canadian winter where the range is greatly reduced. We are still in the early years of EV as there a lot of things they do well and a lot of things they don't.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 08:36 AM   #2504
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really interested to see how the Fisker Ocean's look once they're delivered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:22 AM   #2505
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
The EV crowd are trying to de-throne the Vegans as the Kings of Self-Righteousness.

"How do you know if someone has an EV? Dont worry, they'll tell you. Then they'll explain how it saves the World!"

Not that I don't actually support a transition away from ICEs. I do.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 09:31 AM   #2506
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A friend who was pretty stoked about getting his Tesla got really, really quiet about it once Elon started going completely haywire.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:36 AM   #2507
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I did a golf trip from Edmonton to Coal Creek with four guys with all of our clubs in a Tesla last summer. It was about an hour each way, on a hot day (so the AC was cranked), and the driver was showing how fast it was going, doing as high as 150 km/h towards Tofield.

If I remember correctly the battery was in pretty good shape at the end of the day.

I didn't realize the EV crowd was excessively chest thumping, but I did think the car was impressive (at least at the time).
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:55 AM   #2508
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I've run into far more chest thumpers about EV chest thumpers than actual EV chest thumpers.

And more gas engine chest thumpers telling me how I'll have to pry their cylinders from their cold dead fingers than EV chest thumpers.

Heck I've seen more trucks rolling coal on EVs than EV chest thumpers.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:55 AM   #2509
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I didn't realize the EV crowd was excessively chest thumping, but I did think the car was impressive (at least at the time).
I don’t see it either. If it does happen it’s usually a result of some type of misinformation or disinformation about EVs being spread. See towing range as an example. Another one that always makes me shake my head is vehicle weight and wear and tear on roads, not recognizing the number of heavier trucks on the road and so on. I think EV owners just want a fair and balanced discussion that is truly representative of the facts. Nothing worse than having some gear head start an argument over a vehicle or technology they’ve never set their butts in and telling you all the shortcomings of the vehicle, even if they aren’t accurate.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 10:39 AM   #2510
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
I don’t see it either. If it does happen it’s usually a result of some type of misinformation or disinformation about EVs being spread. See towing range as an example. Another one that always makes me shake my head is vehicle weight and wear and tear on roads, not recognizing the number of heavier trucks on the road and so on. I think EV owners just want a fair and balanced discussion that is truly representative of the facts. Nothing worse than having some gear head start an argument over a vehicle or technology they’ve never set their butts in and telling you all the shortcomings of the vehicle, even if they aren’t accurate.
I think it's a pretty broad brush, but I certainly see it. There's a couple reasons in my mind. 1) Climate change is a big emotionally charged issue 2) EV adoption has hit the inflection point and is inevitable, but it's only now hitting public consciousness so it has some strong emotion attached.

And some people are just insufferable evangelizing do-gooders, likewise some people are insufferable "every change is bad and people are hypoctrites about said change"

I'm fascinated by the technology change
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 10:46 AM   #2511
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I've run into far more chest thumpers about EV chest thumpers than actual EV chest thumpers.

And more gas engine chest thumpers telling me how I'll have to pry their cylinders from their cold dead fingers than EV chest thumpers.

Heck I've seen more trucks rolling coal on EVs than EV chest thumpers.
I think it's a regional thing. I'm on Tesla forums and the California posters are definitely chest thumper type but a lot of that is largely due to living in the California bubble. In Canada I don't think it's as bad but as always you are going to have people that are extremely enthusiastic about something they have purchased.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 11:16 AM   #2512
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

as for the useless blue checkmark...

Twitter said it fixed ‘verification.’ So I impersonated a senator (again).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...-verification/

Musk shut down Blue and promised that in a new-and-improved version “all verified accounts will be manually authenticated” before they’re given the authority of a check mark.
After Blue 2.0 (my term for it) launched on Dec. 12, I made another faux Markey and applied for verification. Some of Twitter’s new requirements slowed down the process — and might dissuade some impatient impersonators — but the company never asked to see a form of identification. Last week, up popped a blue check mark on my @SenatorEdMarkey account. Oops! I did it again.

The real Markey, who has long been a critic of Big Tech, told me Twitter had failed a basic test. “It’s an absolute joke that Elon Musk, who prides himself on being a tech entrepreneur, can’t implement a functioning verification regime — except users aren’t laughing,” Markey said.

“Twitter’s current leadership has failed to safeguard the platform from misinformation, failed to provide answers to my simple questions regarding their anti-fraud protocols, and failed to demonstrate an appreciation for the role that their platform plays in our democracy,” he said.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 11:17 AM   #2513
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

People in Calgary talking about EV chest thumpers. Hilarious.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:34 AM   #2514
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure how acknowledging a short-coming of EV pick-up trucks is considered spreading misinformation about their practicality?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 11:37 AM   #2515
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Not sure how acknowledging a short-coming of EV pick-up trucks is considered spreading misinformation about their practicality?
If you point out any shortcomings of current EV's, you must drive a massive truck and hate the environment. It's only logical.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 11:37 AM   #2516
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
What if I find both sides annoying?
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 11:55 AM   #2517
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Steven Spielberg has taught us anything its that Dinosaurs are absolutely a renewable resource. We should get on that!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:19 PM   #2518
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Why is it hilarious?

The environmental footprint of EVs is very highly dependent on local electricity generation mix

The electricity generation mix in Alberta is about 90 percent fossil fuels - 36 pct coal and 54 pct gas. Saskatchewan about 80 percent (41/40).

By contrast, Quebec has about 99 percent from hydro (94) and wind (5). Ontario has a mix of nuclear, hydro and wind, so natural gas is only around 7 percent

Big difference based on location
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:40 PM   #2519
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Why is it hilarious?

The environmental footprint of EVs is very highly dependent on local electricity generation mix

The electricity generation mix in Alberta is about 90 percent fossil fuels - 36 pct coal and 54 pct gas. Saskatchewan about 80 percent (41/40).

By contrast, Quebec has about 99 percent from hydro (94) and wind (5). Ontario has a mix of nuclear, hydro and wind, so natural gas is only around 7 percent

Big difference based on location
1) Not sure where you're getting your numbers, Alberta's power mix is nowhere near that. It certainly changes day to day but as of right now (you can look it up on a real time basis) AESO is running ~71% gas, 7% coal.

2) So yeah, difference in total emissions from an EV in Alberta vs Quebec or Ontario is going to be very different, but that doesn't change the fact that even with our power mix, and high use of fossil fuels, an EV in Alberta will still produce fewer emissions overall than an ICE, because a large power plant has a much better thermal efficiency that an ICE, even with transmission and charging losses
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 02:50 PM   #2520
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
The tesla truck looks like it's straight out of a 1980's Sci-fi movie with very little budget.
Robocop

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote