Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
Pickle Juice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Now that the First Round is over will everyone step away from the ledge?

I will start off by saying this was one of the most exciting seasons to watch as a flames fan in as long as I can remember. I went into every game expecting them to win, and they didn’t disappoint.

I could be a little off on this quote but one of the best lines from Brad Treliving was “how old is Ovechikin, didn’t he just get his first one?”

That line can’t be more true in my opinion, you need to loose a few to win. This is a very young core and fingers have been pointed at Johnny, Money, and so on, but as far as I’m concerned this is a team game and no one other than Bennett and Smith were playing well.

Look how many of the favored teams lost in the first round this year and not just any teams, teams with experience when it comes to playoffs! This is playoff hockey! Let this team mature a bit before everyone comes out with pitch forks!

I would also say that we have the best GM in the NHL. Everyone might not agree with his every move and some work out better than others; but this is a guy that is doing his best to improve the team and he’s certainly not afraid to make the big moves.

In closing I do expect some changes to take place on this roster but all this nonsense about trading one of our core players is pure craziness. Step away from the ledge and remember this team finished second in the league with this young core they have. They’re on the right trajectory.

Go Flames Go
Pickle Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks Brad, don't worry - you're doing a fine job.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

This notion that it’s ok to fail because everyone else failed is not a notion that I can get behind.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:09 AM   #4
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's not really about them failing as much as it is about how they failed.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #5
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not mad at the team. I'm more disappointed with the timing of the Flames having their best regular season in decades coinciding with the 2nd most (according to a recent Athletic article) chaotic NHL postseason ever.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
This notion that it’s ok to fail because everyone else failed is not a notion that I can get behind.
I don't think the idea is "it's ok to fall" as much as "failure doesn't require a extreme response".
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's interesting that while the standings didn't correlate to the 1st round winners, regular season goals against average somewhat did, as 6/8 teams to advance had a better GAA

Grubauer - 2.69
Smith - 2.73

Holtby - 2.67
Mrazek - 2.39

Vasilevskiy - 2.40
Bobrovsky - 2.58

Rinne - 2.42
Bishop - 1.98

Jones - 2.94
Fleury - 2.51

Murray - 2.69
Lehner - 2.13

Binnington - 1.89
Hellebuyck - 2.90

Rask - 2.48
Andersen - 2.77

The Knights also choked 3-1 series lead and 3-0 game 7 3rd period lead or it would be 7/8.

I guess what I am saying is maybe the Flames need to play tighter checking in the RS to be ready for tighter checking in the post season. But can they do it without the Gulutzan Effect?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 04-25-2019 at 08:49 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
It's not really about them failing as much as it is about how they failed.
Yep, if it was a hard fought series it would be easier to accept. I wasn't impressed with any of their games including game 1. Game 2's effort I gave them a break because sometimes winning 4-0 can make you think you don't need to be better but after that they should have woke up.

Like I mentioned after game 4, I don't think I've ever been this embarrassed of the Flames in my life. They've had some bad teams but those teams were suppose to suck.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Somewhat, it took some sting off to see all the other favourites lose, but all the other division winners have had more recent playoff success than the flames, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm not mad at the team. I'm more disappointed with the timing of the Flames having their best regular season in decades coinciding with the 2nd most (according to a recent Athletic article) chaotic NHL postseason ever.
I bet that when/if the flames enter the playoffs as an underdog again the postseason will go right back to normal
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #10
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I will just leave this here, and take from it what you like.

Quote:
Sportsnet Stats
@SNstats

This is the first time in major North American pro sports history (NHL/NBA/MLB/NFL) that every division winner was eliminated in their opening series /game
Old 04-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #11
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Juice View Post
rom Brad Treliving was “how old is Ovechikin, didn’t he just get his first one?”

That line can’t be more true in my opinion, you need to loose a few to win. This is a very young core and fingers have been pointed at Johnny, Money, and so on, but as far as I’m concerned this is a team game and no one other than Bennett and Smith were playing well.
The Flames aren't even in the playoffs long enough to learn about the disappointment of going through a war and falling short. There are not a lot of lessons to be learned from getting destroyed in the first round other than you aren't good enough for playoff hockey and need to fix that.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #12
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a shameful performance by the Flames.

They were flat out DOMINATED in 4/5 games, and relied on heroics from Smith to even win Game 1.

Outside of Tampa, the other teams experiencing disappointment at least put up a fight in their series.

You can easily make the case that the Flames were the WORST TEAM in the first round, even factoring in Tampa's sweep - Tampa was bad, but they weren't Flames bad.

EDIT: Want to add, it's getting tiring to hear this was a "learning experience" for the team... you mean to tell me that getting swept by the Ducks 2 years ago didn't help Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Gio, Brodie, Backlund learn at all?? How about the 5 game elimination by the Ducks 4 years ago (Gio excluded from that one of course)? Either this team is full of stupid players who take FOREVER to learn, or they are full of players who can't raise their game.

Last edited by I_H8_Crawford; 04-25-2019 at 08:59 AM.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #13
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
I don't think the idea is "it's ok to fall" as much as "failure doesn't require a extreme response".
As was mentioned above, it's not that they failed. It's how they failed.

Tampa technically failed worse than we did, but I feel a hell of lot more comfortable about their ability to win playoff games than ours.

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-25-2019 at 09:00 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #14
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

7 other team fan sites just had the same post.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #15
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm all about finding optimism in the team that wears your colours - as we don't have much choice in the matter...

But in between 'everything's fine' and 'trade everyone' is the answer. That was a horrible playoffs, but let's not forget that we've had some questions since the All-Star Break
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:03 AM   #16
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have 2 players left in playoff pool,
Old 04-25-2019, 09:03 AM   #17
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post

You can easily make the case that the Flames were the WORST TEAM in the first round, even factoring in Tampa's sweep - Tampa was bad, but they weren't Flames bad.
Tampa has also had lengthy playoff runs in recent years. When the Flames do actually make it, they are out as soon as it starts. Let's see if this team can actually take a series to 6 or 7 games before declaring they are learning valuable lessons about winning by getting destroyed every series.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 09:08 AM   #18
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actually, the first round results have made me even more disappointed the Flames had such a disastrous playoffs, because the path to the cup really opened up once Tampa was eliminated. Stacked against any other team, the Flames should have been the favourite throughout the rest of the playoffs. The fact that Sharks and the Golden Knights beat the crap out of each other would have set the Flames up really well to make conference finals.

Alas, it was not to be, and it feels like an even more wasted opportunity.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #19
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

No. Its my ledge. I've made my home here and its where I'm most comfortable. The Calgary Flames have only rarely given me any reason to abandon it.

Its like a warm but uncomfortable blanket.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #20
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Now that the First Round is over will everyone step away from the ledge?

No, the season was good but it ended in embarrassing failure. Flames have garnered the reputation as a paper tiger team and they’ve still yet to prove otherwise. 6 months of hard work to only get dominated vs the 8 seed. Brutal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Beninho; 04-25-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post: