Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2022, 03:41 PM   #381
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but I need to vent, get opinions. My cat has had some UTI's and kidney infections over the last 6 months or so. I had her in the vet yesterday for blood work and she has another pretty serious UTI that has migrated to her kidneys. The vet suggested a course of 24 hour IV fluids with antibiotics, and pain relief. It would help flush out her kidneys as she is a bit dehydrated from not eating well over the past week. I was hesitant, because I could have also treated her at home, but it might not clear up as quickly. The IV treatment was of course, twice as expensive. My vet is not 24 hours so they referred her to the emergency vet clinic in the city that is 24 hour. I dropped her off around noon today. They called me a short time ago and said that someone had made a "miscalculation" on the dose of antibiotic they gave her and that they gave her twice the dose she was supposed to get. They couldn't give me any more explanation other than it was a mistake. However, this particular antibiotic has increasingly serious side effects at larger doses, the main one being retinal damage. The vet admitted she could possibly go blind, but they won't know for up to several days. They are keeping a close eye on her, have examined her eyes thoroughly, but as they said, it could get worse over the next few days.

I was in such shock I barely said anything on the phone, other than what the hell, how did this happen, and just got the I'm sorry we made a mistake.

I already paid them $1,000 when I left her there, and there will probably be more costs, but I don't even know what to say about the bill at this point, it's not my main concern until I know the outcome.

How would you handle the ensuing conversation I need to have with them, either way? I mean if she goes blind, what other health issues, concerns, quality of life will that mean?
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:55 AM   #382
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but I need to vent, get opinions. My cat has had some UTI's and kidney infections over the last 6 months or so. I had her in the vet yesterday for blood work and she has another pretty serious UTI that has migrated to her kidneys. The vet suggested a course of 24 hour IV fluids with antibiotics, and pain relief. It would help flush out her kidneys as she is a bit dehydrated from not eating well over the past week. I was hesitant, because I could have also treated her at home, but it might not clear up as quickly. The IV treatment was of course, twice as expensive. My vet is not 24 hours so they referred her to the emergency vet clinic in the city that is 24 hour. I dropped her off around noon today. They called me a short time ago and said that someone had made a "miscalculation" on the dose of antibiotic they gave her and that they gave her twice the dose she was supposed to get. They couldn't give me any more explanation other than it was a mistake. However, this particular antibiotic has increasingly serious side effects at larger doses, the main one being retinal damage. The vet admitted she could possibly go blind, but they won't know for up to several days. They are keeping a close eye on her, have examined her eyes thoroughly, but as they said, it could get worse over the next few days.

I was in such shock I barely said anything on the phone, other than what the hell, how did this happen, and just got the I'm sorry we made a mistake.

I already paid them $1,000 when I left her there, and there will probably be more costs, but I don't even know what to say about the bill at this point, it's not my main concern until I know the outcome.

How would you handle the ensuing conversation I need to have with them, either way? I mean if she goes blind, what other health issues, concerns, quality of life will that mean?
This is terrible, I'm sorry this happened. You pass off your fur buddy with an expectation that they will be taken care of, I know accidents happen but this one is understandably tough to take.

Fingers crossed she comes through the next few days ok. Hopefully they do the right thing with the bill so you don't have to make an issue of it.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2022, 06:27 PM   #383
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kitty has apparently passed the critical window for side effects of the overdose. Very good news. Still not home though. Hopefully tomorrow. Kidney numbers are not coming down as fast as they hoped. I’ve practically had to take a second mortgage to pay for this ��. The only thing they are covering is treatment or steps they took directly related to the overdose!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2022, 06:43 PM   #384
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Kitty has apparently passed the critical window for side effects of the overdose. Very good news. Still not home though. Hopefully tomorrow. Kidney numbers are not coming down as fast as they hoped. I’ve practically had to take a second mortgage to pay for this ��. The only thing they are covering is treatment or steps they took directly related to the overdose!
They should be paying for everything due to their mistakes. That would be my position.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:54 PM   #385
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow. I don't really know what else to say, but I know that I'd be looking at redress through legal means, since they don't seem to be willing to do the right thing here. The entire vet visit SHOULD have been gratis. Seemed like a pretty easy 'recovery' from their mistake.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:55 PM   #386
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just turned 5 months!

Poor little guy is teething, and has already lost a few. I can't wait until he gets out of the biting phase.

Go frames!
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to starseed For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2022, 07:46 PM   #387
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where did you get the jersey? Do they make them for overweight 97 pounder BBWs?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:04 PM   #388
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got a targeted advertisement from the Calgary flames team store. The XXL size should fit.

*Edit* I guess XL is the largest they have on the site. They say XL is for labs and border collies.

Last edited by starseed; 03-11-2022 at 09:11 PM.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:21 AM   #389
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

(Bump - this thread isn't posted in enough)

Got the dog a new dog bed so he can be more comfortable in the home office:

Yup... as you can see he's really enjoying it.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 11:34 AM   #390
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Always glad to see this thread bumped. As to my contribution...just finished introducing/acclimatizing a 3.5 month old rescue kitten with my two established cats. This is Peter

Spoiler!

Spoiler for large image

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 07-11-2022 at 12:16 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 09:41 AM   #391
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awwwwww - he's a doll!
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 02:01 PM   #392
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

After 8 years together my partner finally gave me the okay to get a dog, however finding one has been increasingly frustrating. I am allergic to dogs that shed, which unfortunately means most rescues are out and we have to find a breeder.

The amount of information on the internet has become overwhelming: mixed breeds are bad/they are fine, puppy mills are everywhere/most people are responsible breeders, never buy a dog off Kijiji/that’s just how breeders advertise these days, etc etc.

One of the breeders that is CKC registered that we visited had three different dog breeds in her kennel and approximately 50 dogs of various ages on her property. It all seemed more puppy mill-ish than a home breeder.

Price is another thing I can’t seem to understand. Some puppies are fetching (har har har) over $3k while others are less than $1k.

If anyone has advice on finding a breeder and a puppy mixed breed or not, I would appreciate the advice!
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:10 PM   #393
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get a cat instead.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 02:27 PM   #394
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Get a cat instead.
I am even more allergic to those.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 02:49 PM   #395
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Speaking as a person who absolutely loves my cat: cats are dicks. Don't get a cat. They're gross, expensive as they age and do things literally to spite you. Your furniture & house plants will never be safe. I'll miss my cat, but I can't wait for the day I don't have a cat.

My Mom & Dad got a Yorkshire puppy and he's the cutest little thing I've ever seen but yeah, they are expensive!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:17 AM   #396
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cats are clean and cheap to own compared to a dog. They can be dicks for sure but I have a dog that's a dick as well.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 06:28 AM   #397
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Speaking as a person who absolutely loves my cat: cats are dicks. Don't get a cat. They're gross, expensive as they age and do things literally to spite you. Your furniture & house plants will never be safe. I'll miss my cat, but I can't wait for the day I don't have a cat.

My Mom & Dad got a Yorkshire puppy and he's the cutest little thing I've ever seen but yeah, they are expensive!
I've had about 10 cats and I can't say this has been the case for a single one of them. They've all been friendly and affectionate, if not lovingly bitey at times.

This might be a you problem.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:32 AM   #398
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just dropping a pic of my bud, not working from home everyday i miss hanging out with my pal
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2022, 10:44 AM   #399
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It’s been a year since I had to put my Stella down. I’m ready to open my heart and home again to a puppy. I used to show dogs and used to be active in the ckc. However this time around I don’t intend to show my dog at all so I’ve decided to adopt a pup from AARCS.

I’m not new to dogs however I’m new to adoption and questions of lineage and whatnot. And it’s been years since I’ve had a new pup.

I was considering pet insurance, I used to think it was a stupid idea but I’m not so sure now. Anybody have any experience with pet insurance? Any other advice about adopting a puppy?
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 11:05 AM   #400
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
It’s been a year since I had to put my Stella down. I’m ready to open my heart and home again to a puppy. I used to show dogs and used to be active in the ckc. However this time around I don’t intend to show my dog at all so I’ve decided to adopt a pup from AARCS.

I’m not new to dogs however I’m new to adoption and questions of lineage and whatnot. And it’s been years since I’ve had a new pup.

I was considering pet insurance, I used to think it was a stupid idea but I’m not so sure now. Anybody have any experience with pet insurance? Any other advice about adopting a puppy?
It was shocking how expensive pet insurance was when I was looking for my now-13 months old. I was thinking I could find something for maybe $30/month, but all the quotes this time around came in at $150-180 a month--I think even through Costco.

I asked my vet's opinion on it last time I saw him, and he said aside from price, it's a fight with insurance companies over everything (we were specifically talking about a surgery my dog had on his leg six months ago.)

My older dog had insurance the first few years I had him. I can't remember what it cost, but it sure as hell wasn't $160. More like $30 11, 12, maybe 13 years ago. The peace of mind was nice, but I never used it. He of course had all his problems after I dropped it.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post: