Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:
Default Travel Cancel Insurance

Hello all,

So as I have posted in the travel thread I am planning to go to Aussie (in the next 2 weeks), and I am unemployed as posted in another thread. I have not purchased my trip yet.

The odds of me finding a job which requires me to start before or during my trip and getting lower and lower, even more so with the holiday season coming up. It seems for engineers we have nearly passed the fall hiring season, and Jan will hopefully be busy again.

I am trying to find "cancel for any reason" insurance for the small chance a job offer requires me to cancel my trip. I have called many canadian insurance companies, and when I google "cancel for any reason" insurance, call the companies, it seems most companies only offer the cancel for any reason clause to americans, despite there website implying they offer it in canada.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

so I lied, these guys do cover Canadians for cancel for any reason, but only in their most expensive plan....

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/csa.shtml

And I would only get 75% of my trip price back, but its a good start for me. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

They seem legit, I asked them on the phone "Forgive me, but I found you online, never heard of you before, and offer a product I can't seem to find from any other companies in Canada, how do you know your legit?" She directed me to the BBB

Anyone know anything about them?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know anything about that company, but I just took a spin through the Manulife policy and their trip-cancellation would not cover you in the circumstance you describe.

I would say you will have a hard time getting coverage for this though. In some ways you're looking for coverage for an event that isn't unforeseen. To exaggerate what I mean here its a little bit like buying a homeowners policy to protect you from a hurricane that is already out in the ocean. The loss is not fortuitous in that case, and you can't get coverage.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't know anything about that company, but I just took a spin through the Manulife policy and their trip-cancellation would not cover you in the circumstance you describe.

I would say you will have a hard time getting coverage for this though. In some ways you're looking for coverage for an event that isn't unforeseen. To exaggerate what I mean here its a little bit like buying a homeowners policy to protect you from a hurricane that is already out in the ocean. The loss is not fortuitous in that case, and you can't get coverage.
You nailed it, that's what all the insurance companies say. My argument is, as I do not have an offer yet, it is unforseen, well sort of. In any case, it is black and white to them, so my argument doesn't matter, so I don't try to argue it.........

This trip might be a dumb idea (the travel thread noted Aussie is over priced right now and the job thing), but I want to go!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'd probably be better off booking a flight and accommodations that will allow you to re-schedule them for a small fee (or no fee for accommodations). Most airlines will allow you to re-schedule your flights for about $100-150 (plus any difference in the air fare), so you could move your trip back by a few months if you needed.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
You'd probably be better off booking a flight and accommodations that will allow you to re-schedule them for a small fee (or no fee for accommodations). Most airlines will allow you to re-schedule your flights for about $100-150 (plus any difference in the air fare), so you could move your trip back by a few months if you needed.
Thank you for the idea!