Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2022, 02:17 PM   #441
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
blah blah blah
The Oilers are getting more out of their players than the Flames are. McDavid and Draisaitl are out scoring the Flames bet players. Hyman is in a different stratosphere over Mangiapagne or Toffoli. He's an actual threat. Jankrock is a waste of draft picks.\ at this point. Score a ####ing goal you scrub, or at least prevent a goal. Waste of time and salary, and I was a proponent of bringing him in.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:26 PM   #442
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Barrie not getting an extra two on that play was the worst.

Mangiapane needed to jump in to protect Coleman because none of the refs were even trying

And yeah based on the first couple games of this series it’s clear to me that the refs have guidance to call it tight and make sure they are giving penalties on anything after the whistle.

Flames need to stay away from that though because that plays into the Oilers favour and so far the extra penalties are going to the Flames
That's a fair assessment. But when Nurse cross checks you so hard it breaks his stick and there is no penalty call the double standard is obvious. Likewise with Keith cross checking Lindholm well after the play, and Lindholm turns around and punches his shoulder and gets a penalty.

The Oilers have spent years priming the media for the "everyone is against us" and the "Flames are so dirty" that's it's just accepted as a fact by many and has seeped into the game calls now.

Last edited by Infinit47; 05-21-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 02:28 PM   #443
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
The Oilers are getting more out of their players than the Flames are. McDavid and Draisaitl are out scoring the Flames bet players. Hyman is in a different stratosphere over Mangiapagne or Toffoli. He's an actual threat. Jankrock is a waste of draft picks.\ at this point. Score a ####ing goal you scrub, or at least prevent a goal. Waste of time and salary, and I was a proponent of bringing him in.
The league is creating a situation where McDavid will shine. I don't disagree that the Flames need to be better pretty much to a man, but you can't ignore the fact that these refs went from calling 4 penalties a game to 22 penalties as soon as McDavid was involved.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 02:31 PM   #444
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

16GA in last 3 games vs the Oilers. This trend can't continue. It really is that simple. Flames need to pull a Dallas and clog things up to bring down the goals against. Playing open-ice hockey against the Oilers' top 6 is a big mistake and will result in losing the series if it continues. The parade to the penalty box has to stop too.

Last edited by Mathgod; 05-21-2022 at 02:34 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:36 PM   #445
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pay extra attention to McDavid when he circles in the ozone with the puck and someone on him.

He literally holds them back with his arm and 90% of the time he’s holding their stick so they can’t poke. It was 100% why Keith was able to score last night, McTurd had Anderssons stick in his hand for 5-10 seconds the entire sequence and then Anderson was unable to get it in the way.

The refs keep that #### up we’re 100% f____d
How can you stop him if you can’t lean on him (he flops theatrically)
You can’t skate stride for stride
You can’t poke because he’s got your stick in his hand/armpit.

Being at the game last night I saw 4 instances where flames players used TV timeouts to skate up to the refs and point it out and yet they allowed it all night.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 02:59 PM   #446
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Did you actually expect any Flame to outscore McDavid and Draisaitl, especially when they’re together? That’s not realistic. They’re the most dominant duo in the league.

The Flames depth and supposed advantage in goal is what we were suppose to have on the Oilers. But so far, Markstrom has not looked like a $6M difference maker and the Oilers have matched our depth scoring.

If the third line isn’t bringing any scoring to the table, then they can’t get scored on. But these 3 are a combined -8 in 2 games. So they’re hurting the team more than they’re helping.

If the Flames want to win this series, they’ll need a solution in goal and all 4 lines have to contribute to beat McDavid’s superhuman play.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:06 PM   #447
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well hopefully we're done with those refs and a fresh set of eyes helps to stabilize things and bring some balance to the madness of the first couple games.

If anything, penalties probably should be 2-6 against you if you're chasing the play at even strength, and the Oilers were chasing the play at even strength.

Not every successful back check on McDavid is a penalty. This giving him special privileges needs to end.

Hopefully the next refs have the balls to call him on his stick holds and ignore the blatant flops to discourage it.

If it looks like it could have been sold, beyond the first round of playoffs none of those should be called.

Calls you think would need to be crystal clear. If a couple guys fall in a pile you don't pick one guilty party and ignore the rest.

Refs have been looking too hard for penalties to call on any given play or scrum when in playoffs the officials should wait for the ones that can't be ignored. Combing plays for anything that can be called is a regular season approach. In the 2nd round? Buzz off.

Pocket your whistles, and the things that are called need to be called both ways. The last thing you want to do is have a heavy effect on the result. If you want the best team to win the refs should have as little effect on the game as possible, unless absolutely necessary.

I miss grind em out 5 on 5 playoff games, dearly.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 03:13 PM   #448
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think most of the problems in this series were noted by Hanifin. The Flames aren’t playing their game.

Yes, their top players are out scoring our top players - but that’s because their top two players are two of the top players in the league on an individual skill set basis.

The Flames do not have a McDavid, nor a Draisaitl. The Flames will win this series playing their structured team game - which they haven’t gotten to yet.

If I were to single in on any individual Flames, I’d be looking at Markstrom, Mangiapane, and Sutter.

Darryl putting Zadorov and Gudbranson out against McDavid in a 4v4 situation was just bad - and like I mentioned, the team hasn’t gotten to it’s team game yet - and part of that is on Darryl. He’ll do better.

Mangiapane is getting sucked into taking penalties and isn’t keeping things simple. Dude just needs to get back to retrieving pucks and playing whistle to whistle. He can be better.

Markstrom is just…off. Pressure getting to him? His positioning is out of whack. It’s as if the Oilers are in his head. He can be better.

Flames will win this series as a team, and the Oilers will lose this series because all they have are individuals.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 03:23 PM   #449
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Pay extra attention to McDavid when he circles in the ozone with the puck and someone on him.

He literally holds them back with his arm and 90% of the time he’s holding their stick so they can’t poke. It was 100% why Keith was able to score last night, McTurd had Anderssons stick in his hand for 5-10 seconds the entire sequence and then Anderson was unable to get it in the way.

Saw that too. Hope the flames are sending footage to the reffing supervisor as that directly led to a big Oilers goal.

I’d agree that Gaudreau seemed to embellish after getting cross checked but what’s frustrating is McDavid did exactly the same thing the other night and there was no penalty. Had a bad feeling about the way the game was going after that call - you could just tell this was gunna be one where the refs wanted to make a statement.

Last edited by Flames0910; 05-21-2022 at 03:26 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:28 PM   #450
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

The Gaudreau embellishment is tough, because at first glance I agreed with the call... but the way he fell I think he was actually trying to keep his feet onside despite being crosschecked offsides on the 2-on-1.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 03:35 PM   #451
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Being at the game last night I saw 4 instances where flames players used TV timeouts to skate up to the refs and point it out and yet they allowed it all night.
I had not noticed that before, but you are right. Plain as day when looking for it in the replay, and Anderson goes straight to the ref to address it as soon as the goal is scored.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 03:41 PM   #452
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great comments from Sutter regarding the way the games have been called. When the refs have a big impact on the game like they did last night and the Oilers get the benefit of 22 or so minutes in PP and 4 on 4 time, that's a huge benefit to McDavid and the game turns into shinny.

It's been said a gazillion times in this thread, but the Flames need to try and keep it 5 on 5 if they want to win this series. Skip to around 3:26 for his comments on the officiating.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1528125983567630343

Last edited by direwolf; 05-21-2022 at 03:43 PM.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 03:41 PM   #453
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
That's a fair assessment. But when Nurse cross checks you so hard it breaks his stick and there is no penalty call the double standard is obvious. Likewise with Keith cross checking Lindholm well after the play, and Lindholm turns around and punches his shoulder and gets a penalty.

The Oilers have spent years priming the media for the "everyone is against us" and the "Flames are so dirty" that's it's just accepted as a fact by many and has seeped into the game calls now.
Also, desperate Sportsnet wants the ratings bump too. They got owned so bad on the past TV deal that they’ll do anything for more viewers. So they’ll talk endlessly about McDavid at the behest of Rogers even if it alienates the rest of the teams.

I know one thing, no chance I watch the Oilers if they move on to the next round. Here’s one viewer they won’t be getting with all the Vladimir Puti ...I mean Sportsnet’s “McDavid propaganda.”
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:41 PM   #454
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There is a 0% chance they will start calling him on this.
It's built into how the league wants to treat him now.

We have to find a way to play him despite this, that's all we can do.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:49 PM   #455
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post

Exactly he does it multiple times every game and has never been called from what I’ve seen. The league is okay with him grabbing another player’s stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NegativeSpace For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 03:51 PM   #456
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Also, desperate Sportsnet wants the ratings bump too. They got owned so bad on the past TV deal that they’ll do anything for more viewers. So they’ll talk endlessly about McDavid at the behest of Rogers even if it alienates the rest of the teams.

I know one thing, no chance I watch the Oilers if they move on to the next round. Here’s one viewer they won’t be getting with all the Vladimir Puti ...I mean Sportsnet’s “McDavid propaganda.”

It actually has made me turn off their other stuff like podcasts and radio. The tv stuff is just so bad that I can’t listen to them on the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NegativeSpace For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 03:53 PM   #457
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDavid getting that kind of special treatment is so incredibly infuriating as a hockey fan. The guy is already insanely skilled. You'd think he wouldn't need the extra help from the officials, but I guess the league feels like he does. It's bulls*** and it makes me not want to watch the NHL anymore.

I don't remember Crosby ever getting this kind of treatment. He always had to fight his way through it like every other player before him.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 04:01 PM   #458
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
McDavid getting that kind of special treatment is so incredibly infuriating as a hockey fan. The guy is already insanely skilled. You'd think he wouldn't need the extra help from the officials, but I guess the league feels like he does. It's bulls*** and it makes me not want to watch the NHL anymore.

I don't remember Crosby ever getting this kind of treatment. He always had to fight his way through it like every other player before him.
Refereeing has made me lose a lot of interest in the NHL over time as well. It's the inconsistency of everything that ruins the game. I have been watching hockey for decades but still can't consistently identify what a penalty is from game to game. That's pretty silly. The rules are simple, but the application of the rules is all over the place.

I support the refs making the calls according to the book as long as it's consistent, but if they can't do that I would much rather they just put the whistles away and let the teams play.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:05 PM   #459
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post

And that in why this league is a joke, no other player is allowed that liberty.
God damn shame.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:05 PM   #460
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post

I think McDavid has proven he can't fight through it and that's why the league is stepping in. They need players to market, especially with the old guard leaving soon and the shine off of Russian players for obvious reasons. McDavid was the heir apparent but he can't hold Crosby's jock and can't win 5v5.

Enter the new NHL playoffs where in addition to tons of pp time for the Conna we get to see BS calls leading to 4 on 4 to ensure he gets a healthy dose of that too.

Next the Oilers will be allowed to enlarge their ice surface to make sure he gets extra space all the time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post: