Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2019, 06:43 AM   #161
Singularity
Backup Goalie

Exp:

As a neutral fan, that was a bulls*** call, it deserved 2minutes max. That said, Vegas should not have let in 4 goals in 5 minutes.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:45 AM   #162
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Normally the refs idiocy leads to less entertaining hockey... but not last night

I'm losing my mind if I'm Vegas though

So... is a big hitting team not the answer then either?!
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:48 AM   #163
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another big deadline acquisition doesn't pan out into a long Stanley Cup run but at least they got Stone signed long term as I thought he looked pretty good for the Knights.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:26 AM   #164
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Hard to blame the officials for calling five when a guy is knocked out and bleeding all over the ice. Should have been a minor only, but I'm not all that sad that Cinderella's glass slipper broke.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:29 AM   #165
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Hard to blame the officials for calling five when a guy is knocked out and bleeding all over the ice. Should have been a minor only, but I'm not all that sad that Cinderella's glass slipper broke.
If they took a second to review the call, problem solved (and awesome comeback avoided... albeit)
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:35 AM   #166
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Holy crap that call was atrocious. Against a relatively new team & fan base too, not a great look for the NHL. I'm wondering if this will bring in new rules regarding reviews of major penalties. The refs in the playoffs, seemingly this year in particular, seem just terrible. That said, the VGK have no one to blame for how they just fell apart after the call. I mean, they had 18 minutes in OT to try and they failed. And that's after blowing a 3-1 series lead. So....go Sharks I guess.

Last edited by Nyah; 04-24-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 07:38 AM   #167
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Another big deadline acquisition doesn't pan out into a long Stanley Cup run but at least they got Stone signed long term as I thought he looked pretty good for the Knights.
His stats weren’t great but I thought Kane looked pretty good for the Sharks.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:00 AM   #168
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hopefully they do not add more replay to the game, it has not been a good experiment nor does it help get the calls right. Not in its current implementation anyway.

The refs got that one right last night. It kind of looked like a two time play in football, Eakins teed him up and Stastny pounded him down. You have to call that a five and to be honest Vegas plays the game on the physical edge all the time. Its a case of "if you live by the sword, you die by the sw...er...ref.

From the referee supervisor:

“The referees called a cross-checking penalty for an infraction that caused a significant injury,” series supervisor Don Van Massenhoven said in a statement. “In their judgment, the infraction and its result merited a major penalty.”

I thought the Sharks dominated the game and eventually broke through,...oh and the Eakins goal looked like a high stick.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 04-24-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:01 AM   #169
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

What they should have done was blow down the play when Pavelski was on the ice and then have a group talk about what each one of them saw. Like they do for pucks over the glass. Nope. Let's panic at the sight of blood. Hope Pavelski is all right but that was definitely the wrong call.
OldSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:13 AM   #170
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I am glad Vegas lost because I am flying in tomorrow morning and last year at this time, every idiot tourist and local was wearing a Knights jersey, not even knowing what sport they played. Not to mention, no more circus acts before games is a definite plus.

Urgh.. still salty...
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #171
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
What they should have done was blow down the play when Pavelski was on the ice and then have a group talk about what each one of them saw. Like they do for pucks over the glass. Nope. Let's panic at the sight of blood. Hope Pavelski is all right but that was definitely the wrong call.
They did. You can see the two referees immediately come together to discuss if there was a penalty, after which they sent a linesman to put Eakins in the box. Then three of them got together and discussed, and concluded it was a major.

https://streamable.com/0ysgg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 08:18 AM   #172
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Hopefully they do not add more replay to the game, it has not been a good experiment nor does it help get the calls right. Not in its current implementation anyway.

The refs got that one right last night. It kind of looked like a two time play in football, Eakins teed him up and Stastny pounded him down. You have to call that a five and to be honest Vegas plays the game on the physical edge all the time. Its a case of "if you live by the sword, you die by the sw...er...ref.

I thought the Sharks dominated the game and eventually broke through,...oh and the Eakins goal looked like a high stick.
No.....in fact they got it as wrong as they could have.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #173
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's be honest, if San Jose scores one or zero goals on that PP, nobody is even talking about if it was a right call or not. It's because the result was so outlandish that people are over analyzing. Vegas can blame their PK for the loss, not the refs.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #174
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sharks pulled off the exact miracle I envisioned the Flames doing when they went down 3-1. Big game 5 win on home ice. Narrowly escaping with victory in game 6 and finally rallying huge in game 7 to win the series.

Sharks got their mojo back I wouldn’t be shocked to they sweep the Avs who will have a week off and potentially cooled off
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 08:22 AM   #175
Eubee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The NHL refs have had it coming for a long time, and now they should be getting it. Hard. Right across the chin. And so far...nothing.

Its obvious the NHL has called in all its markers on this one, which is terrible.
Eubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:23 AM   #176
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Let's be honest, if San Jose scores one or zero goals on that PP, nobody is even talking about if it was a right call or not. It's because the result was so outlandish that people are over analyzing. Vegas can blame their PK for the loss, not the refs.
It's not an either-or scenario.

That Vegas put out a historically awful penalty kill doesn't make the call less bad.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 08:23 AM   #177
slybomb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

After watching that unfold last night, I feel like Vegas should have some sort of legal option to pursue. They were literally robbed of none less than $30M because the refs sh@t the bed. There was simply no excuse for what happened.
I have no dog in this fight and I could barely sleep last night after that horrific call. The game was signed, sealed and deliverd before the refs went postal.
slybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:28 AM   #178
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post

5 minute major for losing his balance? Come on
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:30 AM   #179
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybomb View Post
After watching that unfold last night, I feel like Vegas should have some sort of legal option to pursue. They were literally robbed of none less than $30M because the refs sh@t the bed. There was simply no excuse for what happened.
I have no dog in this fight and I could barely sleep last night after that horrific call. The game was signed, sealed and deliverd before the refs went postal.
Same here, I was just so mad. Don't care for either team and all I could think about was how bad the call was, kept me up for hours.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:34 AM   #180
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Went to bed at 3-0 Knights in the third thinking at least it would be nice to have VGK knock out SJ.

Just watched the replay. That was completely the wrong call. It was a crosscheck and nothing more. Pavelski went down awkwardly after bumping into Statsny who shoves him out of the way. I don't think Statsny had any intent other than to push the body of the player coming at him out of the way. It was an unfortunate accident. Eakins could've shoved him instead of crosschecking and the results would've been the same.

Garbage way to lose a game/series. Hope Pavelski is ok.
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote