Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2019, 06:02 PM   #941
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'm pretty exited for the remake/update/whatever of the first one.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #942
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey guys - thought I'd start doing a post at the start of each month highlighting some of the big releases for the month. Nothing too fancy, just some things to look at if you're itching for a new release! April is fairly quiet as far as big releases, at least in the first half, so could be a good chance to catch up on some titles you missed. Some solid indie games, and some good Switch ports/remasters on the way

April

Major Releases

Mortal Kombat 11 (April 23rd, PS4/X1/Switch/PC)
Days Gone (April 26th, PS4)

Indie Highlights

My Time at Portia (April 16, PS4/Switch/X1)
Katana Zero (April 18, PC/Switch)
Steamworld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech (April 25, Switch)
Super Meat Boy Forever (April 26, everything)

Ports/Remasters

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (April 9, PS4/X1/Switch)
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (April 16, X1/Switch)
Cuphead (April 18, Switch)
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (April 23, Switch)
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (April 30, X1/Switch)

There's also Dreams Early Access coming on April 16th, but that's not the full release and is a limited event, so I didn't include it.

What are you looking forward to from the list? I'm not a Mortal Kombat guy and Days Gone isn't doing much for me in the trailers, so I'll be sticking to indie stuff for the month (My Time at Portia for sure!) and hoping I can get in to Dreams Early Access.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #943
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing really interests me. Days gone did at first but now it just stinks of another open world game with a massive map but nothing interesting to do in it, although the developer is promising at least it's not Ubisoft or something. I'll check out reviews and stuff when it comes out but I'm in no way hyped for it. Not available on PC either so that's usually a pretty big pass for me unless it's something like uncharted or the last of Us.

Nothing else released this month even slightly tickles my fancy

Last edited by btimbit; 04-01-2019 at 11:57 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #944
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it's definitely a bit of a lull at the moment for me. Just finished Far Cry 5, which I enjoyed but nothing is really jumping out at me as far as new games. I have a backlog of PS4 games to get through and I'll maybe take another crack at Persona 5 now that I understand the game a bit better and hopefully don't get stuck at the last boss again, but I'm not seeing anything for PC that's really enticing me.

I'll probably get the new MK game because I've really enjoyed the series during this generation, but it's not a day 1 buy. Other than that, I think I might see what 2018 games I can get on discount for PC (e.g. Monster Hunter World). Was also debating finally digging into the AC series because I've never played any of the games and I imagine the older games would be pretty cheap.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #945
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could have pre-ordered MK11 for PC a few weeks ago for $60 but decided to pass right now. Days Gone I'll eventually get but it won't be until it's under the $50 range.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #946
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'll eventually get FF X/X-2 (again), but not soon. Dragon's Dogma is a possibility, but I've got like six RPGs in my backlog already.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:27 PM   #947
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, it's definitely a bit of a lull at the moment for me. Just finished Far Cry 5, which I enjoyed but nothing is really jumping out at me as far as new games. I have a backlog of PS4 games to get through and I'll maybe take another crack at Persona 5 now that I understand the game a bit better and hopefully don't get stuck at the last boss again, but I'm not seeing anything for PC that's really enticing me.

I'll probably get the new MK game because I've really enjoyed the series during this generation, but it's not a day 1 buy. Other than that, I think I might see what 2018 games I can get on discount for PC (e.g. Monster Hunter World). Was also debating finally digging into the AC series because I've never played any of the games and I imagine the older games would be pretty cheap.
Speaking of Far Cry 5, I'm finally giving it another chance after not getting into it much the first time I tried. Not bad but I don't see myself finishing it
Old 04-02-2019, 11:21 AM   #948
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fire Emblem Fancy Edition up on Amazon.ca

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NQJNNM4/...gateway&sr=8-1
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #949
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I like the third image in the product listing. Nothing says "Japan" like an archer on a battlefield in a short skirt and thigh high socks.

Can't wait for this game, though I don't need the fancy edition.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:42 PM   #950
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

How Anthem Went Wrong:
https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anth...ong-1833731964

A long read but a worthwhile one. Hopefully Bioware can fix what's wrong at the studio.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #951
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anthem could have been so cool but the lack of direction is obvious. Such a neat concept but it just isn't fun. Too bad all that happened the original idea sounded so much cooler

Last edited by btimbit; 04-02-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #952
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Hopefully Bioware can fix what's wrong at the studio.
Getting out from under EA would be the necessary first step.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #953
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Speaking of Far Cry 5, I'm finally giving it another chance after not getting into it much the first time I tried. Not bad but I don't see myself finishing it
I played Far Cry 5 last summer as I thought the rural Montana setting would be a good lead-in to the RDR 2 release. I enjoyed it, and thought the fishing mechanic was better than Redemption's. I don't have a desire to play the DLC for it, mostly because I'm not a big first person shooter fan and found the pace a little too frenetic and stressful at times, but overall I thought it was decent.

And was I the only one who had a bit of a thing for Faith Seed, errr
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:44 PM   #954
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I played Far Cry 5 last summer as I thought the rural Montana setting would be a good lead-in to the RDR 2 release. I enjoyed it, and thought the fishing mechanic was better than Redemption's. I don't have a desire to play the DLC for it, mostly because I'm not a big first person shooter fan and found the pace a little too frenetic and stressful at times, but overall I thought it was decent.

And was I the only one who had a bit of a thing for Faith Seed, errr
Yeah I was not a fan of the RDR 2 fishing mechanics. I actually avoided fishing in that game because it felt like a chore.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:47 PM   #955
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Gamestop lost nearly us$700 million last year as used game sales plummeted. I know it's inevitable, but it will be really disappointing when physical game purchases goes away entirely.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #956
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Gamestop lost nearly us$700 million last year as used game sales plummeted. I know it's inevitable, but it will be really disappointing when physical game purchases goes away entirely.
Part of that is Gamestop’s own fault. “Brand new game that’s been out a week? We’ll give you $12 and sell it for 49.99”. Sure digital media has a big hand in the death of used games but that company didn’t do itself any favours.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #957
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I would have given Gamestop a lot more used business if their pricing wasn't insane
Old 04-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #958
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Does anyone know if piracy is still a big issue in PC gaming? I guess it's easier for consoles to block pirated games but I do wonder if going all digital would increase piracy if the price of digital copies don't come down.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #959
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Does anyone know if piracy is still a big issue in PC gaming? I guess it's easier for consoles to block pirated games but I do wonder if going all digital would increase piracy if the price of digital copies don't come down.
Huge. Longest it takes to crack even the toughest DRM is a few weeks but most are cracked the day they're released. It seems the only way to combat it is require games to always need to be connected to an online service, which obviously players HATE.

Last edited by btimbit; 04-03-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:18 PM   #960
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I haven't traded in anything to EB Games/Gamestop in a long time. I find that Video Game Trader is much more reasonable, and they're a local business to boot.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote