Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2019, 10:10 AM   #401
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Just finished Chernobyl. Amazing. The final episode was just awesome, and I feel like a nuclear reactor expert after watching the court room scenes. The montage at the end was great too. A heartbreaking story all around, but HBO couldn't have done it any better.

From beginning to end, it's a treat.
Which is ironic because its soul-crushing.

But so.....so good.

It goes from heroism to horror at the drop of a hat. Heroes do villainous things for moral ends.

I think it really encapsulates the spirit of the era.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #402
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

I also like most of Watch Mojo's top 10 lists.
So you're the one who's responsible ...
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #403
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Which is ironic because its soul-crushing.

But so.....so good.

It goes from heroism to horror at the drop of a hat. Heroes do villainous things for moral ends.

I think it really encapsulates the spirit of the era.
It really does, and that's what I loved about it the most. As Westerners, we're so used to seeing people being held accountable for their actions. It's not perfect, but the system here is designed to look out for the betterment of society as a whole. Not for organizations to 'save face'. The concept of an entity like the KGB being able to muffle the truth is just so foreign to us. Pretty much our attitude is ''why can't we all just tell the truth and get along''.

But it's not like that over there, even to this day. My girlfriend is Ukrainian so we watched it together, as I also wanted to know her perspective on it. To her a cover up like that was just 'business as usual' for that time. The truth wasn't what happened. The 'truth' is what was recorded (often under the threat of harm), and what ended up on paper at the bosses desk is what happened.

She also said little tiny details would have been accurate for that time. For example, when they announced on the loudspeakers what was happening, is accurate to what would have been said. The small apartments are how it would have been (and still are). Little tiny details made the show so good.

One thing we both agreed on is that while the actors were all phenomenal and having the dialogue in english made it easy to understand, it would have made it more authentic if they could have used Russian/Ukrainian actors and spoke Ukrainian. It was strange hearing some kind of British accent, and none of the actors looked Slavic.

Still, not much to complain about. Also there should have been a seperate thread since Chernobyl seems to have taken over this thread. But hard not to keep the conversation going when you have such an awesome show to talk about!
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #404
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Just powering through Broadchurch... I think its pretty good. 1.5 seasons in and i'm pretty hooked.

Also recently watched Bigmouth. So hilarious and wrong at the same time!
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #405
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It really does, and that's what I loved about it the most. As Westerners, we're so used to seeing people being held accountable for their actions. It's not perfect, but the system here is designed to look out for the betterment of society as a whole. Not for organizations to 'save face'. The concept of an entity like the KGB being able to muffle the truth is just so foreign to us. Pretty much our attitude is ''why can't we all just tell the truth and get along''.

But it's not like that over there, even to this day. My girlfriend is Ukrainian so we watched it together, as I also wanted to know her perspective on it. To her a cover up like that was just 'business as usual' for that time. The truth wasn't what happened. The 'truth' is what was recorded (often under the threat of harm), and what ended up on paper at the bosses desk is what happened.

She also said little tiny details would have been accurate for that time. For example, when they announced on the loudspeakers what was happening, is accurate to what would have been said. The small apartments are how it would have been (and still are). Little tiny details made the show so good.

One thing we both agreed on is that while the actors were all phenomenal and having the dialogue in english made it easy to understand, it would have made it more authentic if they could have used Russian/Ukrainian actors and spoke Ukrainian. It was strange hearing some kind of British accent, and none of the actors looked Slavic.

Still, not much to complain about. Also there should have been a seperate thread since Chernobyl seems to have taken over this thread. But hard not to keep the conversation going when you have such an awesome show to talk about!
I believe they're considered 'West-Russians' at the moment.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Locke; 06-05-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #406
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I've tried to watch When They See Us on Netflix, a short series on the Central Park 5. I have tried to watch the first episode twice, but i get so pissed off, I can't finish it. I have seen the documentary on the subject and really wanted to watch this, but i am struggling to get through it obviously
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to socalwingfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #407
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I actually appreciated they didn't bother going with fake Ukranian accents. It was like they wanted to emphasize the fact it was an American interpretation of those events. I don't know, but it stood out in a good way for me. To add to your point about providing us Westerners with some really good insight about what it was like over there, couldn't agree more. More importantly (to me), despite these differences, for the most part the people were very similar. Once they got passed the initial phase of denial, everyone just did what they had to do despite the system they were living in.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #408
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

No accents is fine. It wasn't about showing that there was a western interpretation, it was to avoid a bunch of cliched eastern bloc accents and to avoid the actors playing their accents and not the characters.The creator talks about it in the podcast that was linked earlier.

Doing accents has always been weird to me anyway. We're clearly not doing it in the language it happened in, so it doesn't really lend any authenticity.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #409
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

During an interview on the show's official podcast, writer/producer Craig Mazin was asked about this decision and his answer is very astute.
"The decision not to use Russian accents was a big one that we made early on. We had an initial thought that we didn't want to do the 'Boris and Natasha' cliched accent because the Russian accent can turn comic very easily. At first, we thought that maybe we would have people do these sort of vaguely Eastern European accents - not really strong but noticeable.
"What we found very quickly is that actors will act accents. They will not act, they will act accents and we were losing everything about these people that we loved. Honestly, I think after maybe one or two auditions we said 'Ok, new rule. We're not doing that anymore," said Mazin.
Of course, cinephiles will be able to count hundreds of examples when bad accents ruined a TV show or film, but Mazin said that the dialect in Chernobyl was influenced by another HBO film.
"I remembered this old HBO movie called Citizen X with Stephen Rea and Donald Sutherland - it's a true story about a serial killer in Soviet Ukraine. I recall there being accents from all over the place in the film. There were South African, English, American accents - some people were sort of trying, others weren't - and then Max Von Sydow appears and he speaks like his usual self, with his Swedish accent. And do you know what? It all works perfectly because they're not speaking Russian.

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/heres-m...-accent-670812
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #410
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
No accents is fine. It wasn't about showing that there was a western interpretation, it was to avoid a bunch of cliched eastern bloc accents and to avoid the actors playing their accents and not the characters.The creator talks about it in the podcast that was linked earlier.

Doing accents has always been weird to me anyway. We're clearly not doing it in the language it happened in, so it doesn't really lend any authenticity.
I love that they avoid using cliched eastern bloc accents by using equally cliched British northern accents to signify the workers and public schoolish accents to signify the managers and politicians
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #411
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I love that they avoid using cliched eastern bloc accents by using equally cliched British northern accents to signify the workers and public schoolish accents to signify the managers and politicians
Apparently not too northern, considering people were able to understand what they were saying
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #412
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had absolutely 0 issues with the accents.

I thought how they spoke was perfect.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #413
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching Episode 1 again after watching Episode 5.....

"Where is Dytalov?"

I dunno....last time I saw him he was leaning over a railing. Accidents happen all the time....

Old 06-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #414
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching Shcherbina run out of that courtroom....my heart just sinks.

You know what hes done and what hes given up and you know whats happening.

Sorry for spoilers, if you dont know the ending of a story that happened in 1986 I cant help you.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #415
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Watching Shcherbina run out of that courtroom....my heart just sinks.

You know what hes done and what hes given up and you know whats happening.

Sorry for spoilers, if you dont know the ending of a story that happened in 1986 I cant help you.
Haha. I was just thinking “hey spoilers!” When I read your posts.

Even though I know the general outcome, I would ask that you go easy on some of the dramatic details until I’ve had a chance to watch the series. There may still be some plot points and specific parts that are unknown to a lot of people. Especially since Chernobyl happened when I was a baby and I’ve never bothered to learn much about it.

I think you’re good so far though.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 07:02 PM   #416
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Even though I know the general outcome, I would ask that you go easy on some of the dramatic details until I’ve had a chance to watch the series. There may still be some plot points and specific parts that are unknown to a lot of people. Especially since Chernobyl happened when I was a baby and I’ve never bothered to learn much about it.

Oh man! Sorry! Really, I didnt mean to spoil it at all! I'd hate to take that dramatic effect away from anyone so I'll STFU.

I just figured....you sort of knew what was going to happen to these guys as the 'first wave.'

Old 06-05-2019, 07:03 PM   #417
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Nope, this is Chernobyl Puck now, just accept it. Treat every post like burning graphite moderator.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #418
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope, this is Chernobyl Puck now, just accept it. Treat every post like burning graphite moderator.
You're Dyatlov.

"How do I even know it blew up?!?"

Custom user title?

Old 06-05-2019, 07:07 PM   #419
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

"You didn't see it because it wasn't there!"
Old 06-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #420
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"You didn't see it because it wasn't there!"
What if we shoot exploding bullets at it?