Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #181
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't there opportunity for him to finish his degree after the fact like Gaudreau or was that different circumstances?
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #182
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Isn't there opportunity for him to finish his degree after the fact like Gaudreau or was that different circumstances?
oh, anyone can do that...

its just a matter to desire to do so when your are a multimillionaire and would rather use that summer time to get better at your profession or to finish a degree...

graduating with your class and team mates does have its draws though, especially if its an ivy league school.

as noted, ivy league schools do not give out athletic scholarships, and even if they did, it should not prevent him from going back to finish his degree, even if he's paying for it himself.

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 02-17-2018 at 01:52 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #183
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
It can depend on the rules of his scholarship, assuming he has one. It most likely states that he cannot be on a leave of absence.

And I am no professional at hockey, but hockey does take a toll on you. He would be too busy to finish that degree too. Has Johnny even finished his? Hockey requires a lot of off season training and what not.

If I am Fox, it's easier to just finish the degree while I am still in school.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:59 PM   #184
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know what he's taking at Harvard? I seem to remember something about language arts and evolution?, either way if it's not law or medicine he's probably there for the hockey program more than the academics, by all accounts the flames are helping him to develop and have a great relationship with him, I wouldn't get nervous until spring 2020
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #185
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Anyone know what he's taking at Harvard? I seem to remember something about language arts and evolution?, either way if it's not law or medicine he's probably there for the hockey program more than the academics, by all accounts the flames are helping him to develop and have a great relationship with him, I wouldn't get nervous until spring 2020
IIRC his major is economics.

I don't buy that he is there more for the hockey program. There are easier schools with better hockey programs that he could've gotten into if hockey was the top or only priority.

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-17-2018 at 02:44 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #186
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree Sureloss, If your going to Harvard there's a reason. Otherwise go to a non ivy league and get a much easier ride. Doesn't mean we should be worried but there's a much higher chance someone that goes to Harvard will see things through.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #187
MikePatton
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
IIRC his major is economics.

I don't buy that he is there more for the hockey program. There are easier schools with better hockey programs that he could of gotten into if hockey was the top or only priority.
Could of...
MikePatton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikePatton For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 02:37 PM   #188
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If he stays for a third year, he's most likely going to stay his senior year and get his degree. Can't say I'd blame him.
Not so sure I would trade him if he decides to stay for his senior year. As a bunch of other posters have stated, him staying would probably have less to do with free agency and more with wanting a Harvard degree. Obviously there has to be a lot of dialogue between management and the player to see what he wants.

It may work out perfectly as by the time he's done at Harvard is the same year Stone and Hamonic's contracts are up.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #189
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I don't see how he doesn't finish his degree, it's Harvard. Like others have said, he likely went there for a reason and won't want to opt out early....and if he doesn't opt out early then what incentive could he possible have to not wait the extra couple of months and have a bidding war for his services and his choice of destination?

Unfortunate for us that he's at Harvard but it likely means 4 years of school and then free agency.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #190
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'd rather trade Fox than Andersson.
Fox is still an unknown in the pro leagues.
I think that Andersson could play on the Flame's 3rd pairing right now.
Maybe trade Stone in the summer?
420since1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #191
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420since1974 View Post
I'd rather trade Fox than Andersson.
Fox is still an unknown in the pro leagues.
I think that Andersson could play on the Flame's 3rd pairing right now.
Maybe trade Stone in the summer?
May be a star may not be due to size. Huge upside, still not a sure thing, and the unfortunate Harvard arrangement means he's probably going the full four years.

If it's me he's a prime piece for a top six scoring winger at the deadline or this offseason. We've got a strong top 6 AND Valimaki and Anderson coming up, plus Kylington as a wildcard to make the NHL.

Defense is a huge organizational strength compared to offense.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #192
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think we are going to have sellers remorse if we trade Fox.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:18 PM   #193
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
It depends, do we seriously upgrade our offense in the process and become a bigger threat in the next two seasons during the primes of our star young players? Or do we wait for him to possibly be a star three or four years from now when Gaudreau's set to be a free agent?

If we was a regular prospect than yeah, I'd be very tentative about a trade, but the NCAA flight risk is a valid concern and especially so with a Harvard student.

I know the rosy idea is that the Flames are a great organization and he's a good kid who will want to play here because he's been at camps and said the right things. End of the day though, the NHL is a business and if after four years his options are

1. Sign with team who drafted him or;

2. Wait two months and sign with any team in the league in what's sure to be a bidding war.

He'd be absolutely crazy not to take number two.

Last edited by jayswin; 02-17-2018 at 04:25 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #194
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Traders remorse....
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #195
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If you do 3 years at Harvard how do you not finish you degree? I get that having an NHL contract waiting for you is a little different situation, but still.
Yes, that was my point
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #196
jayswin

Exp:

The only problem with trading Fox is even if we are trading him just to play the percentages that he may go to free agency the league is going to extremely trepidatious if he goes to market.

The media will jump all over the NCAA narrative and the suggestion will be "The Flames must know he's going to free agency" even if we don't.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #197
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The media didn't make a fuss when Calgary traded Hickey, not sure why they would with Fox.
420since1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #198
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420since1974 View Post
The media didn't make a fuss when Calgary traded Hickey, not sure why they would with Fox.
Hickey was a lesser prospect, and they did mention quite frequently that the reason he was included was because of the flight risk.

Also, he was not leaked to the media as a available, just traded, so there was no chance for the media to say anything pre trade. Of course the Flames would let it be known league wide if a prospect of this caliber was available, and of course the media would jump on the NCAA factor.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #199
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
On Hockeydb it says he is 5'10 but 185lbs. That's a pretty decent ratio especially at his age. It's not like he's 90 pounds soaking wet like when the Oilers forced Nugget-Hopkins into the NHL way too early. Hopefully size won't be THAT much of an issue.
Ryan Ellis is 5’10 and 180 lbs.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #200
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

You never really know with these kids sometimes. Shultz apparently kept telling the Ducks that he was indeed going to sign with them and looking forward to playing for their organization... until he suddenly told him he is not. This past off-season, you heard Treliving talk about how we should expect a Hickey signing soon... and then he returns to college.

It isn't something that you can predict that well. If I am Fox, I know I am going to prefer signing somewhere else. Why? Look at the depth the Flames have on defence. Maybe he prefers to try his luck on a team that is closer to home. However, maybe he is loyal and willing to play for whom really drafted him, or even has made friendships with guys already on the team and looks forward to playing with them.

It seems it is getting more difficult to tell, but I do think that if I am the Flames, I am going to be looking at signing him this off-season, and if he wants to go back, I am going to be exploring his worth quietly with American teams in the east, especially with NYR. Having Hickey included in that trade for Smith was a surprise in hindsight, but that told you right there that the Flames didn't feel like they were going to sign him this upcoming off-season (or he may have told them exactly that at the very end).

Either way, it is something you start worrying about next off-season. He may sign and all this angst is for naught. Either way, I hope he lights up the NCAA this season and these past two games is the catalyst to some kind of roll, and turns even more heads.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: