Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #4601
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have often wondered about club fitting after playing clubs off the rack the last 20 years. My swing, my posture, my grip, etc have only ever been used with off the rack clubs. If I were to get fitted now would it mess me up or improve things?

I do intend to get fitted on my next set but it is an interesting question, at least to me it is.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #4602
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Well it would appear the sim2 Max with a reg shaft doesn't work for me. Big, balloon slice (likely because the head can't catch up) or a snap hook when I go to a strong grip.

If I slow my swing down it's generally straight, but I can't go longer than 250. No point in that seeing my 3W M6 is 250.....I need a big club for 275ish!!

Gonna try the stiff shaft here. The contact is definitely there and I like the feel, just gotta get it dialed.

Any recommendations on shafts? I've never really shopped for them before.
Only thing I've found is shafts seem to be incredibly expensive, so it seems better to sell the whole club and buy a new one.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 11:42 AM   #4603
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Classifieds on GolfWRX. You'll be able to find shafts with the correct adapter for your club. Then it's as simple as using the wrench that with your club.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:25 AM   #4604
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well it would appear the sim2 Max with a reg shaft doesn't work for me. Big, balloon slice (likely because the head can't catch up) or a snap hook when I go to a strong grip.

If I slow my swing down it's generally straight, but I can't go longer than 250. No point in that seeing my 3W M6 is 250.....I need a big club for 275ish!!

Gonna try the stiff shaft here. The contact is definitely there and I like the feel, just gotta get it dialed.

See above. I had the very same problem and switched to a stiff shaft for the sim2 max driver. Much better. And I don’t even swing fast.

The rest of my sim2s are regular shafts. I thought about trading the 3 wood for a stiff shaft but am hitting it straight.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:53 PM   #4605
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 hour round on Lorette at kananaskis today and the marshal was freaking out at people complaining. Really weird.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:02 AM   #4606
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
5 hour round on Lorette at kananaskis today and the marshal was freaking out at people complaining. Really weird.
That is the challenge that public tracks face, and usually poorly handle: They don't want to piss people off by telling them to hurry up, with the result being that they piss everyone else off. Baffling strategy.

Kananaskis has always been bad for this.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:59 AM   #4607
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
That is the challenge that public tracks face, and usually poorly handle: They don't want to piss people off by telling them to hurry up, with the result being that they piss everyone else off. Baffling strategy.

Kananaskis has always been bad for this.
I usually except 4:15 there. Was real slow yesterday. Back out playing Kidd today so hoping for a better result.

Oh and cart path only in kid august is beyond stupid.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #4608
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I usually except 4:15 there. Was real slow yesterday. Back out playing Kidd today so hoping for a better result.

Oh and cart path only in kid august is beyond stupid.
Why is that Weitz? Was it the rain they had a while ago? Or the dry conditions? Seems odd.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:50 AM   #4609
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowRiverBruinsRule View Post
Why is that Weitz? Was it the rain they had a while ago? Or the dry conditions? Seems odd.
The last couple years the fairways on Lorette were really thin. A lot of the holes on the front were roped off for seeding. #1 on Lorette has been CPO for as long as I can remember.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:00 AM   #4610
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How is the smoke and fire situation? I'm going to be up there for a memorial for a brother I lost a year ago, and was unable to attend the funeral service because of COVID travel restrictions. Have several rounds booked including Silvertip, Stewart Creek, and Banff Springs, but have heard there are wild fire concerns? Is this true? Kind of nervous about this wiping these rounds out as they were his favorite course and we wanted to play them to remember him. I'm going to play his clubs to honor him and have a piece of him there for the trip, which should be fun.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:06 AM   #4611
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

An extension of the club fitting discussion as I believe there is way more here for people to understand about the process. All of it tagged with nested NSFW sections to you can dive as deep as you want.

NSFW!

I hope this was educational and helpful to those interested in the fitting process.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2021, 10:11 AM   #4612
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
How is the smoke and fire situation? I'm going to be up there for a memorial for a brother I lost a year ago, and was unable to attend the funeral service because of COVID travel restrictions. Have several rounds booked including Silvertip, Stewart Creek, and Banff Springs, but have heard there are wild fire concerns? Is this true? Kind of nervous about this wiping these rounds out as they were his favorite course and we wanted to play them to remember him. I'm going to play his clubs to honor him and have a piece of him there for the trip, which should be fun.
You won’t have any issues besides smoke.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:29 AM   #4613
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You won’t have any issues besides smoke.
Thanks Weitz. Appreciate the information from boots on the ground.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:35 AM   #4614
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Thanks Weitz. Appreciate the information from boots on the ground.
Was pretty rough in kananskis yesterday and today looks to be worse. So just depends on the wind. Any fires shouldn’t affect the courses due to locations.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2021, 08:35 PM   #4615
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Banff was not as bad as Calgary again today (that seems to be the consistent daily trend)

It detracts from the views, but isn't a significant problem otherwise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2021, 08:39 PM   #4616
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had an 81 today with 6 3-putts. Just couldn't get that ball into that little hole.

Had a 10 hole stretch where I went 3 over with 4 bogeys, and all 4 were 3 putts.

Oh well, happy with the irons - I can focus on that.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:08 AM   #4617
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've aired my grievances against Water Valley before in the past, and have never been back since even though it used to be one of my favorite courses around Calgary.

However, just heard from a friend that WV is under new ownership. Has anyone else heard this?
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:11 AM   #4618
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
I've aired my grievances against Water Valley before in the past, and have never been back since even though it used to be one of my favorite courses around Calgary.

However, just heard from a friend that WV is under new ownership. Has anyone else heard this?
A couple years back I think?

I have played probably 8 rounds over the last 3 years out there and have only ever had one issue. It was a frost delay day during the time you could only golf in twosomes. Been fine every other time.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:58 AM   #4619
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Not sure about the new ownership, but I played there this year for the first time and had zero issues, finished the round in under 4 hours and the course was in great shape.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #4620
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone here play the PXG drivers? if so thoughts? look like good reviews
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow