Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2021, 02:35 PM   #3661
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It might seem that way, but a membership changes everything. It’s a sunk cost, so you’re playing because you’ve already paid. It’s also added rounds because you might as well play on those days you’re not sure about the weather; who cares if you quit after 6,7,8 or whatever. Then you play some men’s league or tournaments there, or things like that and get a whole new social aspect with it. And of course, a huge factor is the ease of booking and being able to walk on for a quick round that you otherwise wouldn’t bother if you paid.

I was on the fence at this point last year and took the plunge. I can see people seeing those amounts and thinking it’s crazy, but you do get out more in my experience.
Ya I'm having a kid this year so considered leaving my course because the usual 40 rounds won't be feasible, but stayed because of the reasons you mention.

Plus unlimited driving range, club storage, locker rooms. Can be downtown and decide I want to golf after work and just head straight to the course with zero preparation.
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #3662
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I was just down at cottonwood picking some things up. Tarps are still on greens, snow on fairways. Going to be a bit before they open.

Was also told their memberships are now $6500. They keep hitting thresholds for new members and price increases. Great to hear really, my equity has gone up pretty significantly since I bought in.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:04 PM   #3663
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I was just down at cottonwood picking some things up. Tarps are still on greens, snow on fairways. Going to be a bit before they open.

Was also told their memberships are now $6500. They keep hitting thresholds for new members and price increases. Great to hear really, my equity has gone up pretty significantly since I bought in.
Isn't it a disaster to get tee times there though? A friend joined last year and was saying that.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:47 PM   #3664
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Isn't it a disaster to get tee times there though? A friend joined last year and was saying that.
Kind of yeah. I think it had a lot to do with people not working though, the year previous I never had a problem. They have implemented a new system this year (not sure what) that is supposed to help.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:26 PM   #3665
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kind of yeah. I think it had a lot to do with people not working though, the year previous I never had a problem. They have implemented a new system this year (not sure what) that is supposed to help.
Yeah but don't they have systems where certain people get all the prime times and couple are only after certain times on weekends and that kind of thing? That's what I've heard about and that is a tough sell in my household (not that I'm a buyer anyway).
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:30 PM   #3666
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That's really good to hear. I wasn't able to get on Cottonwood at all last year through VIP. Such a good course, probably one of the better ones in the Calgary area.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:49 PM   #3667
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Did some cursory looking because I was interested to see how the market is looking. Tried to find the closest thing to a general 'annual membership' but there's lots of variance in what exactly that entitles you to.

Valley Ridge $3725
Inglewood $3826
Delacour $2495
Sirocco $3300
D'Arcy Ranch $2580 (includes a bunch of cart rentals, it's $2100 if you're willing to walk it)
Redwood Meadows $2386
Wintergreen $2939
Elbow Springs $3950
Bearspaw $5950 (trial membership)
Cottonwood $4888 (trial membership)
Thanks for posting, good to see where the market is. My parents have been members out at Redwood forever. They are ripping the greens up this year and replacing, so it will be mid next season before they're on regular greens again. The band is putting some money into the course to upgrade it...but they plan to charge more moving forward.

It is a great track though.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2021, 06:24 PM   #3668
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Thanks for posting, good to see where the market is. My parents have been members out at Redwood forever. They are ripping the greens up this year and replacing, so it will be mid next season before they're on regular greens again. The band is putting some money into the course to upgrade it...but they plan to charge more moving forward.

It is a great track though.
Wow. I played there a couple time last year. Those greens were not in need of replacement.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:19 PM   #3669
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Redwood story is interesting as the band is chasing the big money that some of the other courses can charge with the course renovations. The difference is the club house at Redwood isn't set up to host big events or weddings. It is more than dated, so hard to compete without that piece.

Calgary already has a short season, two years of temp greens followed by likely green fee rises. My parents are not pleased with the result.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #3670
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1372955528175915015
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2021, 02:38 PM   #3671
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Anybody know anything about Silverwing reopening? Apparently there’s a sign up by the course saying they’ll be reopening soon as well as their website saying their range opens on April 1. Wasn’t a fan of the conditions the course was in when it was previously open, but the more golf options the better!

Last edited by CofR; 03-19-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:44 PM   #3672
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Also, apparently Boulder Creek changed their name to The Track. According to their website ( https://www.golfthetrack.com ):

Quote:
Since we purchased the course last year we’ve been making significant investments to improve everything.
Yes, everything!
We have a brand NEW fleet of 2021 CLUB CARS that will be arriving very soon. Two dozen TREES were planted in November, with more being added this spring. Our TURF is getting the love and care it deserves. Regrowth is underway. The RESTAURANT looks like it's seen a top Beverly Hills plastic surgeon for a total facelift.
Explore and #golfthetrack.
Remarkable and unpretentious.
I didn’t play there last season, but glad to hear the new owners are caring for the course and investing in it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2021, 02:55 PM   #3673
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both were Windmill courses and were horribly neglected.

Really looking forward to Silverwing re-opening. Will be the closest grass range to me.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:00 PM   #3674
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Boulder Creek has a bad name it would appear, but i quite like the layout and if they do some improvements, i think it will be a pretty decent course
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:13 PM   #3675
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
They are going to a 7 day ballot system. I’ve been part of a club with this system in the past and it’s the best IMO. Nothing is worse than competing with the old folk at odd hours when the tee sheet opens.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:53 AM   #3676
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Looks like Banff is running a special again this year.Tee-times for all of May,June and July.
Stanley Thompson 18
Sun-Thurs after 2:00pm Fri-Sat after 4:00pm
Offer expires April 6th.
$99+ cart and GST
Promo code:SHOW21
Expected opening date May 14
FragileMind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FragileMind For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2021, 07:41 AM   #3677
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragileMind View Post
Looks like Banff is running a special again this year.Tee-times for all of May,June and July.
Stanley Thompson 18
Sun-Thurs after 2:00pm Fri-Sat after 4:00pm
Offer expires April 6th.
$99+ cart and GST
Promo code:SHOW21
Expected opening date May 14
Yeah this is pretty awesome. I received the email last night so it is probably time to book a few rounds.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:02 AM   #3678
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kananaskis crashed again
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:22 AM   #3679
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Kananaskis crashed again
And still the best way to book Kananaskis is to log on 4 days before you go when all the tee times people book this week get cancelled.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:22 AM   #3680
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Already impossible to get tee times here in Vancouver.
Have to book them so far in advance, I wonder if its all retired people who have no schedules to consider
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow