Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2021, 08:53 PM   #3641
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I previously posted about never being fit for clubs. I still haven’t been professionally fit. However, after several trips trips to Golftown, Golf Traders and numerous Covid Internet hours. I think I figured out what I need to make up for my troll length arms and torso.

I’ve swapped my driver at a cost of $20 with the trade in of my old one. Added 40yds off the tee and ordered a full set of Sub70 clubs for $1300. 3W, 5W, 3H 4-PW.

Im pretty confident in my swing and hoping to drop a few strokes off my 5.6 index this season. If my confidence doesn’t help, my Bryson style Covid bulk up should.

Is it golf season yet?

Last edited by GomerPile; 03-16-2021 at 08:59 PM.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GomerPile For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2021, 09:37 PM   #3642
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Did some cursory looking because I was interested to see how the market is looking. Tried to find the closest thing to a general 'annual membership' but there's lots of variance in what exactly that entitles you to.

Valley Ridge $3725
Inglewood $3826
Delacour $2495
Sirocco $3300
D'Arcy Ranch $2580 (includes a bunch of cart rentals, it's $2100 if you're willing to walk it)
Redwood Meadows $2386
Wintergreen $2939
Elbow Springs $3950
Bearspaw $5950 (trial membership)
Cottonwood $4888 (trial membership)
Depends on where you are in the city, but D’Arcy Ranch is a good course and that’s a good deal. I’d probably get a cart though!

I’d probably strike Wintergreen and Redwood because of the distance...but again it depends on where you’re coming from.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:18 AM   #3643
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
I previously posted about never being fit for clubs. I still haven’t been professionally fit. However, after several trips trips to Golftown, Golf Traders and numerous Covid Internet hours. I think I figured out what I need to make up for my troll length arms and torso.

I’ve swapped my driver at a cost of $20 with the trade in of my old one. Added 40yds off the tee and ordered a full set of Sub70 clubs for $1300. 3W, 5W, 3H 4-PW.

Im pretty confident in my swing and hoping to drop a few strokes off my 5.6 index this season. If my confidence doesn’t help, my Bryson style Covid bulk up should.

Is it golf season yet?
Which Sub70 irons did you get? Would like to hear your feedback once you've used them for a while!
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:13 AM   #3644
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Strathmore’s back 9 is opening on temp greens tomorrow
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:13 AM   #3645
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

For irons I got the following:

Sub 70 639 MB Plus Forged Irons
Grip Size - Midsize
Select Grip - Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize
Shaft Flex - Stiff Select Shaft Project X 6.0 Steel
Club Length + 1/2"
Lie Adjustment +3 Degrees
Hard/Soft Step - No
Hand - Right Hand
Choose Irons 4-PW

I'm interested to see how they are, as I think anything would be a step up from my 09 Callaway X Forged.
The Following User Says Thank You to GomerPile For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #3646
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
For irons I got the following:

Sub 70 639 MB Plus Forged Irons
Grip Size - Midsize
Select Grip - Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize
Shaft Flex - Stiff Select Shaft Project X 6.0 Steel
Club Length + 1/2"
Lie Adjustment +3 Degrees
Hard/Soft Step - No
Hand - Right Hand
Choose Irons 4-PW

I'm interested to see how they are, as I think anything would be a step up from my 09 Callaway X Forged.
3 degrees upright is a huge change from your current set. You will notice a huge difference. I have a set of Cally X's in Phoenix. They are like butter, wonder how the sub70s will be in comparison?

Please report back once you've had them out for a spin.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:21 PM   #3647
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Did some cursory looking because I was interested to see how the market is looking. Tried to find the closest thing to a general 'annual membership' but there's lots of variance in what exactly that entitles you to.

Valley Ridge $3725
Inglewood $3826
Delacour $2495
Sirocco $3300
D'Arcy Ranch $2580 (includes a bunch of cart rentals, it's $2100 if you're willing to walk it)
Redwood Meadows $2386
Wintergreen $2939
Elbow Springs $3950
Bearspaw $5950 (trial membership)
Cottonwood $4888 (trial membership)
$6000 for Bearspaw seems steep.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:25 PM   #3648
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
$6000 for Bearspaw seems steep.
They all seem steep IMO.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:30 PM   #3649
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd give Delacour a think at $2500.

I'm already at $2000 with VIP + Men's League at River's Edge
Old 03-17-2021, 03:35 PM   #3650
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd give Delacour a think at $2500.

I'm already at $2000 with VIP + Men's League at River's Edge
45 min one way for me, so not even a thought outside a couple times a year.

But 34 weekend rounds at delacour to reach pay out??
Old 03-17-2021, 03:43 PM   #3651
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can walk to Winston but they are like $4200 ish on an annual and probably looking at a huge assessment for new clubhouse.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:58 PM   #3652
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Crazy the membership prices for you guys up there given the shorter season you have. Down in Lethbridge Henderson is $1800 and Paradise Canyon is $2500. Anything outside of Lethbridge like Land O or Butte is under $1500. And the courses are all already open (not sure about Paradise).

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 03-17-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #3653
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Had more time so did a bit more in depth looking.

Bearspaw definitely is pricey, especially when you have to throw on an additional $750 F&B minimum on top of it. If converted to a full membership by the end of the year $1000 does get credited to your membership buy-in ($18-20,000), though.

D'Arcy Ranch is just a 24 round pass (did seem too good a deal).

Valley Ridge's is a trial membership as well. One year, one time option. Otherwise they have a 30 Round Package for $3315.

Delacour's Price is also a one-time only price as an 'Introductory Member'. Otherwise they have a Bronze Membership (Monday-Friday only, $2150) or Silver ($2950, but secondary membership options as well) all the way up to equity.

IIRC most annual memberships in the area were pegged around the 35 round mark a few years ago. So that was always a good baseline to see if one would be worth it. If well under, don't bother. If well over you're saving money. If you're in the 20-30 range it comes down to what the premium is worth: better booking times, club events/leagues, maybe there were 10 times you would have played in previous years if you had a sunk cost but the weather was marginal and didn't want to risk it or whatever else.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 04:15 PM   #3654
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great post Roughneck. For the reasons you stated it exactly why I remain with VIP, although the value of it has eroded over the past few years. I have access to some private courses and am not married to one course.

River's Edge men's league is good value as it give you access to the course on Wednesday's, we usually tee off around noon and get 18 in before the 9 hole men's league.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:50 PM   #3655
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
They all seem steep IMO.
It might seem that way, but a membership changes everything. It’s a sunk cost, so you’re playing because you’ve already paid. It’s also added rounds because you might as well play on those days you’re not sure about the weather; who cares if you quit after 6,7,8 or whatever. Then you play some men’s league or tournaments there, or things like that and get a whole new social aspect with it. And of course, a huge factor is the ease of booking and being able to walk on for a quick round that you otherwise wouldn’t bother if you paid.

I was on the fence at this point last year and took the plunge. I can see people seeing those amounts and thinking it’s crazy, but you do get out more in my experience.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 05:08 PM   #3656
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you play more Slava?
Old 03-17-2021, 07:22 PM   #3657
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
3 degrees upright is a huge change from your current set. You will notice a huge difference. I have a set of Cally X's in Phoenix. They are like butter, wonder how the sub70s will be in comparison?

Please report back once you've had them out for a spin.
Will do! Looking forward to it.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:59 PM   #3658
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm not sure I ever really thought about it before. But these last few posts about value and number of rounds made me look into it.

I checked my GolfCanada account and it says I have posted 880 scores over the 15 years I have had a membership. So considering scores not posted (competitions in alternate formats: two man best ball, alternate shot, team comps, etc), I can safely say I average 60+ rounds per year. I know for sure that I wouldn't have near that many without a membership. The convenience factor is huge for me. But can appreciate that people have different circumstances and playing preferences (different courses, etc)
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:06 PM   #3659
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did you play more Slava?
I played way more, more than any other year for sure! If anything, my game suffered but I think that is all fixed now, lol. Golf is weird that way though; you play more and start thinking about things more, which isn't particularly helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 11:32 PM   #3660
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It might seem that way, but a membership changes everything. It’s a sunk cost, so you’re playing because you’ve already paid. It’s also added rounds because you might as well play on those days you’re not sure about the weather; who cares if you quit after 6,7,8 or whatever. Then you play some men’s league or tournaments there, or things like that and get a whole new social aspect with it. And of course, a huge factor is the ease of booking and being able to walk on for a quick round that you otherwise wouldn’t bother if you paid.

I was on the fence at this point last year and took the plunge. I can see people seeing those amounts and thinking it’s crazy, but you do get out more in my experience.
I don’t disagree with this. I’ll play 20-25 free rounds a year so until something changes I won’t ever be getting a membership. But maybe I’ll join and then meet a play group and enjoy it!

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow