Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #3561
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

So I'm moving to Vancouver in Jan... Which public courses should I start with for my forays into "winter" golf and exploring Vancouver's scene?
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:16 PM   #3562
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
It might be more reasonable to designate a few tournaments (one a month?) through the summer. Have a deadline to sign up for each so that tee times can be booked. I wouldn't be able to golf every other week, but once or twice a year with dates I know in advance would be doable.
To facilitate booking, I suggest booking only one or two courses. If golfing around, it'll be hard to book or cancel tee times during inclement weather.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #3563
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess my thought was to have a match play tournament through the summer, so that people could get their opponents and arrange matches at their convenience. Then we could have a final day “tournament” where the last round is player for the match play and everyone could get together.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:59 PM   #3564
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

That's a cool idea actually.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:48 PM   #3565
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the tourney idea.

Similar experiences at Water Valley more than once. Horrible staff. We played one morning at 7:30 and were walking up to the 6th tee at 8:15, when the Marshall came by and told us we were too slow and if we wanted to play in the morning we had to play faster. I told him we’ve played 5 holes in 45 minutes and we’re on pace to finish in 2 hours 45 minutes so to please go away.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 09:26 PM   #3566
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
So I'm moving to Vancouver in Jan... Which public courses should I start with for my forays into "winter" golf and exploring Vancouver's scene?
McCleery, Fraserview and Langara are your main city courses.
Then there's other course in Burnaby, Richmond, North Van etc.

I played McCleery Wednesday and it was mostly good conditions expect for a temp green on #1.
They did only charge us a twilight rate because of that though, so can't complain.
I mean golfing in December is hard to complain about in general.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 05:28 AM   #3567
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
McCleery, Fraserview and Langara are your main city courses.
Then there's other course in Burnaby, Richmond, North Van etc.

I played McCleery Wednesday and it was mostly good conditions expect for a temp green on #1.
They did only charge us a twilight rate because of that though, so can't complain.
I mean golfing in December is hard to complain about in general.
Nice, thanks! Those courses all look pretty good for a casual round. Actually, Fraserview looks nice enough to be a home club. Must be the "Maple Ridge" of Vancouver.

Yeah, even if I only get out once a month for 18 in the winter, that's pretty amazing to me. And lots of covered driving ranges is great too.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #3568
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally a TopGolf-like facility is planned for the Calgary area but unfortunately the locations are going to be really ####ty and make for a limited opportunity to experience the driving range. Windmill Group is planning on opening these facilities at Mickelson National and Heritage Point.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/golf/c...box=1608493506
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:14 PM   #3569
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Finally a TopGolf-like facility is planned for the Calgary area but unfortunately the locations are going to be really ####ty and make for a limited opportunity to experience the driving range. Windmill Group is planning on opening these facilities at Mickelson National and Heritage Point.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/golf/c...box=1608493506
Not sure how often I would go, but for me Mickelson is a decent location. There are really no ranges to speak of in NW Calgary since the one on Nose Hill Drive shut down a few years ago.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:15 PM   #3570
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Top golf is basically a zero draw for me. And the locations suck. Going to be interesting if they can make it work.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 02:23 AM   #3571
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Not sure how often I would go, but for me Mickelson is a decent location. There are really no ranges to speak of in NW Calgary since the one on Nose Hill Drive shut down a few years ago.
Valley Ridge has a pretty good range. Off grass most of the time too.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:27 AM   #3572
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Top golf is basically a zero draw for me. And the locations suck. Going to be interesting if they can make it work.
I don't think they could have found worse locations for this if they tried.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:14 AM   #3573
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I'm in Varsity and Mickelson is reasonably close but it is still a 25 minute drive. Plus the big draw of Top Golf, if they emulate the format, is the drinking and golfing with buddies. After a couple hours there and 4 or 5 drinks it is going to be a lot tougher to get a cab from Springbank than anywhere within Calgary.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 10:54 AM   #3574
jayswin

Exp:

Yeah, those locations are going to suck for many, but keep in mind the deep south of Calgary is like 300000 people these days, and 100000 more are within a fairly easy drive in lot of other southern communities. And I'd imagine there's quite a few people in the deep NW these days as well.

I know everyone who lives inner city thinks locations suck or are poorly thought out if they're not inner city, but things are changing to the point where we're more like some American cities where servicing a quarter of the city on one end makes more financial sense than trying to get prime land and be convenient to 1.3 million people, while ending up not being convenient for 60% of the city that actually lives quite far from inner city and hates planning rush hour avoidance into their day activities.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:57 AM   #3575
jayswin

Exp:

And to be clear I'm only pointing this out as a strategy for what our city has become, if I could go back in time I'd be all for building up instead of out and having a bustling inner city where a golf company would be stupid to build near DeWinton or Cochrane.

But here we are with small cities worth of people living on the deep outskirts.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #3576
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dewinton and Springbank...

Definitely catering towards people with a lot if Disposable income...
Old 12-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #3577
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

I agree, for the most part, I will likely do it for the inevitable divorced friend bachelor party. I'm blown away that the Golf Canada range didn't get on this. Their location is almost perfect.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GomerPile For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 05:34 PM   #3578
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
I agree, for the most part, I will likely do it for the inevitable divorced friend bachelor party. I'm blown away that the Golf Canada range didn't get on this. Their location is almost perfect.

Would they have the capital to implement it? It's not a small venture by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:39 PM   #3579
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Would they have the capital to implement it? It's not a small venture by any stretch of the imagination.
That I have no idea about. However, I do believe the Golf establishment is slow to change. Golf Canada and USGA would never embrace the "good time golf". Why would we have music pumping, good drinks and a general party atmosphere? Were hear for the golf, aren't we?
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:30 PM   #3580
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
My understanding is they are actually trying to do something similar - sort of.

They are renamed now to GolfFuture YYC or something like that. Apparently they are installing a bunch of launch monitors that will help you play a simulated round of golf in a fraction of the time from your range stall. You hit all your drives and approach shots from your stall and then head to a green/short game area (currently under construction) and hit all your chips and putts. Seems interesting to me.

If you have been there lately you’ll notice they have done a fair bit of Reno work. So far everything looks great. I love the new mats!

Edit - I should mention that I don’t think that the facility is affiliated with Golf Canada anymore, but could be wrong
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow