Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #41
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be a head scratcher that if Bennett gets moved in next two days, it took until his last game, or 2nd to last to see how he performs on the top line.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #42
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can understand the OP's thought on this. In reality I think they realized that Ferland has been stagnant and the top line was in need of a bit of a shakeup. I hope Bennett gets a legitimate shot up there, because he looked really good. Up until recently, Ferland had made a strong case to be up there.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #43
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Since there is speculation that Ottawa and Montreal are interested in Bennett as it relates to Hoffman, Pacioretty and Galchenyuk, that perhaps a showcase, or more so a test for Bennett isn't actually that far out of the realm of possibility.

Flames are probably evaluating just how strongly they feel about holding on to Bennett. Giving him games with the top skill on the team makes sense to see how he looks in a top 6 role, given that the names being dangled would fill top 6 needs.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #44
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
When every game is televised, when tape on every player can be analysed, when scouts can attend games in person all the time, who the hell showcases players anymore? It's 2018.

OP name checks out.
This has to up for the stupidest comment of the day.

There should be no need to explain but showcasing means to put the player in the most favorable circumstance.

No matter what TV and video analysis is done it is obvious that Bennett has a better chance to do positive things playing with Gaudreau and Monahan.

Likely not being show cased and just the coach looking for some combination that works a bit better.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:09 PM   #45
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't showcase a player for a game or two before the trade deadline, unless there were question marks about an injury to an ankle or something with question marks surrounding if that player can still skate fast or not.

It seems that the Flames have no desire to move Bennett. I 100% agree with that.

As for why Bennett was on the top line - that line has been flat. I think Ferland has still been good on that line, as he has made good plays for the most part, and has been noticeably strong on defence, but it just needed a shake-up.

I am ok with putting Bennett up there for a while, but what this team needs is to find chemistry on that third line. Bennett and Jankowski are fine. Hathaway is not a fit there. Jagr was a great fit until he got hobbled by his injury. They just really need to find someone to balance that line. If only Poirier worked out - his speed and apparent skill/tenacity would have complimented Bennett tremendously and would have driven defencemen nuts with their forechecking. You still have options down the pipe with a guy like Mangiapane, Klimchuk, Foo, Phillips, Dube, etc.,. However, it would be nice to have that now.

Either way, I think it would be an organizational mistake to trade Bennett. Ideally you want to find someone to compliment Bennett, not replace him. Give him some time, and I am positive some tunes will change on this board when it comes to him.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #46
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think a combination of the first line not doing much lately in which Ferland has been ice cold and the third line struggles finally sparked GG to do something.

Bennett has always had good chemistry with Gaudreau, most players do but Sam seems to have a bit more than the norm. The move paid off as Bennett, Janko and Monahan all scored.

IMO the Flames shouldn't move any of Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett, Jankowski, Ferland or Backlund out of the forward ranks. Everyone else is replaceable but those 7 should be a big part of our top 9 for years to come.

If some of the younger guys in Mangiapane or Dube show they can be legitimate offensive threats in the NHL then maybe you consider moving a guy like Ferland but until then I really like those guys. We need to add at least one younger RH winger to compliment this group, maybe Foo will continue to develop but only time will tell at this point..
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:11 PM   #47
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I realize that it could be as simple as kick starting the top line, I just think it is worth discussing given the fact that we are so close to the trade deadline. Who knows what teams could be sniffing around. Maybe one of the big fish are on tje table and the potential trade partner wants a better look. So far there seems to be a pretty good split in posters opinions on the choice to play Bennett on the top line so what is the point of coming in here and complaining about why the question was brought up? That seems like a bigger waste of time than the thread itself.
It also doesn't mean that I would like to see him traded, it would have to make sense.
Insane_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:15 AM   #48
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames are far too busy trying to win games in order to stay in the playoff race to put someone on their top line just to showcase him.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #49
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The Flames are far too busy trying to win games in order to stay in the playoff race to put someone on their top line just to showcase him.
Bennett going to the Sabres and Kane coming back. Don't know the other pieces.
Insane_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #50
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett I doubt they're showcasing. Gillies on the other hand might make some sense
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:19 PM   #51
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
And why would a team in a playoff race who needs every win and every point be willing to showcase a player? I think the flames have better things to worry about.
In an attempt to trade for a better player?
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote