Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
aem123
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default internet security

i dont know much about internet security - if i want to be as secure as possible so i can do banking etc online what do i need? i assume:

1.) some sort of paid antivirus like norton

2.) something like the paid version of malwarebytes

3.) is there anything else?

4.) do people still use firewalls or would norton and malwarebytes cover that?

5.) what is VPN? - do i need that?

any help would be appreciated
aem123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #2
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Open browser, go to bank website and log in?

Don't make your password "password".
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Hockeyguy's response may sound a bit cheeky, but he's not far off. Browsers are generally pretty safe on secure sites like banks, and that only changes when you click on things that take your information.

Can antivirus and antimalware programs help with the cases where you mistakenly click on something? Yes, but they can't stop all attempts to phish you.

- If you get an email from someone that looks suspicious, don't click on anything in the email and delete it.
- If you weren't expecting an email asking for important information, then don't respond to it.
- If the site doesn't look legit, take a minute to make sure it's okay. Hover over links and see where they actually go.

Personally, I use the built in virus scanning with Windows 10 (Windows Defender or whatever they call it now), and I already had Malwarebytes paid for before I had Windows 10 and have no issues continuing to use it.

As long as you're smart about your use of the internet, you won't have to worry. Things like VPNs are only for the hardcore.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Make your passwords as long as possible. The longer the better. You don't need to go crazy with special characters. Just make them long and change them periodically. When possible, you should use two factor authentication.

Never log in using any open wifi. Ideally, don't use any wifi for banking, but that's not always possible.

Other than that, you should clear your hard drive once ever year or two. This isn't strictly necessary, but I'd you're not great around the computer it can be hard to find the problems. Easier to just wipe the whole thing.

Paid anti-virus is, in my opinion, a useless scam. Norton has been milking that cash cow for years.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #5
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I switched to using Dashlane to managing all my passwords after relying on my own system in my head for years. It generates strong passwords and stores them, encrypted, as your login credentials for sites.

For anti-virus and anti-malware stuff, I use the free version of Malwarebytes along with Immunet.

I use VPN Unlimited as a VPN for my PC and Android devices because I'm a weirdo.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Open browser, go to bank website and log in?

Don't make your password "password".
Pfft! Why not? Nobody ever guesses 'password' anymore. Thats so 2012.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #7
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

So we had to get very, very tough on cyber and cyber warfare. It is a huge problem. I have a son—he’s 10 years old. He has computers. He is so good with these computers. It’s unbelievable. The security aspect of cyber is very, very tough. And maybe, it's hardly doable. But I will say, we are not doing the job we should be doing. But that’s true throughout our whole governmental society. We have so many things that we have to do better, aem123. And certainly cyber is one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 07:22 PM   #8
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Build a security stack.

Buy OpenDNS Home VIP. $20/year/user. You get protection here beyond your normal anti-virus, anti-malware protection. You can do filtering as well which you can use to blacklist every URL from China, Russia, etc.

https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/

Get a good malware protection like Malwarebytes. Either use the free one to scan, or buy the paid one. $50 per year. I personally just use the free one but you have to remember to scan.

Get a decent anti-virus. I just downloaded the free version of Bit Defender. The paid version is like $30/year and gets consistent good reviews.

Use Lastpass or Dashlane to manage your passwords. This is huge, and its cheap and easy to do.

The stack gives you layers of protection and hopefully protects against someone clicking on that stupid email or JPEG(yes I watched the latest episode of Homeland).
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #9
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

IT guy here. I use Avast for A/V. That's all I do and I've never had an issue. Occasionally I'll run a malware scan (like once a year or maybe more) and I always come up clean. The computer is shared with my wife and three kids.

The only time I had a problem was when my nephew used the computer and wanted to put some cool minecraft mods on the computer for my kids. But I don't worry about him because he's not welcome at my house anymore (for reasons completely unrelated to malware and viruses).
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #10
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

The problem is that by just covering the bare minimum you put yourself at higher risk of some idiot on your network(friends, family) getting ransomware.

That is why OpenDNS VIP is worth it for me because you can force it on your network.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post: