Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2018, 08:56 PM   #1
cammy13
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Epson Inkjet Printer Repair

Anyone know where I can take my epson in for repair or a clean? There is something wrong with the ink and I have googled it but too scared to try to clean it myself.

I bought this printer a few months ago and I don't want to break it!
cammy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:09 PM   #2
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Model? More details. I used to rep Epson printers maybe I can assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy13 View Post
Anyone know where I can take my epson in for repair or a clean? There is something wrong with the ink and I have googled it but too scared to try to clean it myself.

I bought this printer a few months ago and I don't want to break it!
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
cammy13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Model? More details. I used to rep Epson printers maybe I can assist.
Epson WF-3620, when I print something nothing shows up on the paper. I have run the cleaning function twice and it hasn't made a difference. I just refilled the black ink and black won't print at all.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:11 AM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Couldn't you take it back to where you bought it, it should still be under warranty.

I'm surprised that anyone even bothers with repairs on inkjet printers. At $100.00 they're the definition of disposable technology.

When ink replacement is double the price of the printer you have to wonder.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #5
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Try running the clean function many times. Even 8 or 10 times and see if it eventually prints. Is this the original in cartridges or are these new replacements is another question. Quite often if run dry the lines are full of air and the ink needs to get through and replace the air before it will print and takes a lot to get them going. Check the ink levels in the setting to confirm it shows full.

Also try uninstalling the printer/drivers and go to the Epson website and download the newest ones they have up there.

Try printing from windows/mac computer and also try through wifi direct via the app from a mobile device and see if it will print from there.

Then report back.

The problem is this model can be picked up on sale for half price quite often and repair will cost as much as a new one. It is actually not a bad little printer for the right price assuming you bought it at the right time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy13 View Post
Epson WF-3620, when I print something nothing shows up on the paper. I have run the cleaning function twice and it hasn't made a difference. I just refilled the black ink and black won't print at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygringo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had the WF-3640 and it was a bad experience. yes I know personal experiences don't equal broad truth, but in my opinion the "PrecisionCore" print heads they put in these things are fundamentally broken, or at least they were for their initial rollout.

the thing printed ok for a few weeks initially, after which I started having to feed it paper and ink regularly for cleanings and head alignments just to get anything that didn't have major streaks, smudges or shadows. I can't believe I was so desperate to make a sub-200 printer work that I was throwing time and money just so that it could print a Flames ticket that the barcode reader wouldn't reject.

after looking online, I noticed a pattern. the first few months of reviews after these printers came out, great feedback, no issues. soon after that, everyone started complaining about the same thing, either terrible print quality or no output at all. I even came across a video of some people giving it the "Office Space" treatment by taking it out to a field and blasting it to printer hell with shotgun blasts.

so now I'm on a Canon laser that's 3 times the price, but is infallible in every way that the Epson was not. maybe the next series of Epsons (they have WF-37xx ones now) has fixed all the problems, but I'm spooked from ever gambling on ink jet technology again.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I used to buy the $100 inkjet printers, but if you put anykind of volume through them they would plug up, use ink like its a bucket of french fries and the quality would start going bad.

I printed out 1 100 page playbook for football, and it nearly killed that printer.

I went out and spent a big more on a high end office jet, and it worked so much better.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Icon45

Unfortuneatly many people just buy for price and salespeople dont know what they are selling and the consumer gets the wrong machine and ends up with a bad experience. I saw it many times when I would be scheduled in a store and someone would tell the customer to come and see me on the day I would be hanging out in the store. Sometimes when I would ask the questions the machine did not match the use. Not much I could do but part of the stores hiring and training that costs them in the end.
Those small printers are not made for high volume but if ypu go omline to their spec sheets you cam see where they fall for print volumes. There are different print engines for different uses. Too bad people did not deal with properly trained people and explain things it makes for happier customers.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #9
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

there's just something really flawed about a technology that requires wasting expensive consumables as part of the regular maintenance/troubleshooting. if you're buying genuine cartridges and good inkjet paper, all those cleaning and alignment cycles are going to add up fast and may not even solve the issue.

imagine if you were having problems with your dishwasher, and the recommended solution was to throw 5-10 detergent tablets in and run a cleaning cycle. and if that didn't work, put another 5-10 tablets in and run the cycle again...flushing all your detergent, electricity and water cash down the drain to try something that may not even have any effect.

laser printers have their own issues for sure, but at least they're not so finicky like inkjets that break down if you print a bit too much, or clog/dry up if you print a bit too little.

this is an old Oatmeal, but it is still relevant today:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers

Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #10
cammy13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So just a quick update. I did all the cleaning cycles and everything else and nothing worked. I called Epson and they did a few troubleshooting things with me as well, since nothing worked they are sending me a new printer and I have to send this one back to them.

Honestly I'm impressed with that outcome, and hopefully I don't have problems with the next printer.

I have learned a lesson though and will most likely not buy an inkjet printer ever again!!

Thanks for all the posts, even the unhelpful ones haha