Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-24-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Thumbs up The trials and tribulations of Glen Gulutzan

With the Flames presently losing 2-0 early to Nashville while playing rather poorly, I'd like to just take this opportunity to voice my opinion on Glen Gulutzan.

I think he's great.

He led the Flames to a 17-point improvement in his first season and they've started rather well again this year. While certain players have had issues with discipline, that's not reflective on Gulutzan's system as a whole, in my opinion.

The failures of Sam Bennett and Dougie Hamilton to stay out of the penalty box early on shouldn't distract you from the fact that Gulutzan has done a good job crafting an effective system, if a tad complex. His staff has formulated effective special-teams units employing players outside the obvious at times (Versteeg on the point on the PP, Brouwer on the PK) who work very well in their roles. He's developed a system that very favourably suits Mike Smith's puck-handling style, enabling the Flames to break out of their own zone very well.

I'm very satisfied with how Gulutzan is coaching this team, and I'd like to see him continue in his role.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 06:51 PM   #2
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I disagree
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #3
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha

The only thing Gulutzan has improved over Bob Hartley in 90+ games of being Flames coach is PKing, which doesn't even matter since we take 3X as many penalties under him. He is not a good head coach relative to the NHL. Doesn't matter what the score is tonight.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-29-2017 at 01:51 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #4
Serapth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I disagree
I agree.

With you, not him.

We had a 17pt improvement because we have an excellent GM. We have a lackadaisical team with no heart and lousy special team play due to poor coaching.
Serapth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serapth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Thanked not just because I agree wholly, but also because you telling the score let me avoid sifting through what’s sure to be a suicide-box of a GDT to find it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #6
Serapth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Thanked not just because I agree wholly, but also because you telling the score let me avoid sifting through what’s sure to be a suicide-box of a GDT to find it.
...or you could just go to nhl.com.
Serapth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ok.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see how a system can be effective if you can't score this is very concerning that teams know how to shut us down so easily
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #9
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
There’s other ways to find out the score .....
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #10
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Haha

The only thing Gulutzan has improved over Bob Hartley in 90+ games of being Flames coach is PKing, which doesn't even matter since we take 3X as many penalties under him. He is not a good coach. Doesn't matter what the score is tonight.
That's hysterical. The Flames have greatly increased their possession figures and powerplay percentage since Hartley's last season, as well as their number of, you know, actual points.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 06:55 PM   #11
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Time to bring back Sutter imo
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #12
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe he's a good coach but I don't know if he's the right coach for this team. It appears to me this team needs a disciplinarian head coach to which Gulutzan is the exact opposite. I don't think a players coach is going to get the best out of this group.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #13
Wyguy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Look at out PP, it is useless. We cant enter the zone with it. Plus, I hate how he uses Johnny, I liked the Johnny playing how he likes to play with tons of breakaways, with GG i haven't seen it once (Take it I can not see all the games)
Wyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #14
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I agree, this team would shine under Brent.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #15
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapth View Post
...or you could just go to nhl.com.
I enjoy reading everyone’s comments when I can’t watch the game myself, it’s a poor substitute, but a little better than a context-less score. Unless we’re losing (and playing poorly)... then it’s painful.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:58 PM   #16
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapth View Post
I agree.

With you, not him.

We had a 17pt improvement because we have an excellent GM. We have a lackadaisical team with no heart and lousy special team play due to poor coaching.
I fail to see how Treliving had any super-substantial impact on improving the Flames' fortunes by 17 points entering 2016-17, considering how the only "major" acquisitions he made were Troy Brouwer, Kris Versteeg, Brian Elliott, and Chad Johnson.

Also, the Flames' special-teams were both top-10 last year.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:02 PM   #17
Wyguy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Maybe he's a good coach but I don't know if he's the right coach for this team. It appears to me this team needs a disciplinarian head coach to which Gulutzan is the exact opposite. I don't think a players coach is going to get the best out of this group.
Who do you think would be best for us that is available or available soon?
Wyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 07:03 PM   #18
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyguy View Post
Who do you think would be best for us that is available or available soon?
I will consider that at the end of the season as it's far too early for coach firing talk and I don't think there's going to be a mid-season coaching change regardless of how bad things get.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:13 PM   #19
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I wonder how some of the better players on this team would perform under Darryl. I think he's a great coach but could those guys handle that heavy a coach?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:13 PM   #20
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
That's hysterical. The Flames have greatly increased their possession figures

Have they?

Hartley's last year here, with Kris Russell (our worst possession player) and no Matthew Tkachuk (our best possession player) we were a 47.97% xGF% team.

Gulutzan's first year here, with Tkachuk (our best possession player) and no Kris Russell (our worst possession player) we were a 49.33% xGF% team.

So that's a shade over 1% improvement with a better, more complete roster and better goaltending.

Both are sub-50% teams in terms of expected goals over a full season. One guy had Matthew Tkachuk, the other guy had Kris Russell.

He's made us play a more responsible style with centers supporting down low, but don't confuse that with us playing "better" at 5-on-5. The only players to see significant gains in their possession numbers have really just been our worst players - guys like Matt Stajan or Deryk Engelland.

You look at Gaudreau and he had roughly the same possession numbers under Hartley (49.08% CF / 49.71% xGF%) he did under Gulutzan (50.21% CF / 49.96% xGF%) except he's been a turnover machine under Gulutzan because he has no green light to fly the zone and hit quickly. Gaudreau, Bennett, Brodie, and Giordano all stopped using their full skillsets under Gulutzan.

Quote:
and powerplay percentage since Hartley's last season,
Hartley's last season we had the the 8th best PP over the final 50 games of the season after a slow start. I never thought Hartley's PP was broken, even if it was more of a traditional 2D 3F unit. Our 1st unit seems to actually score less goals under Gulutzan, with the major difference being a more talented 2nd unit with Matthew Tkachuk, who Hartley never had.

Quote:
as well as their number of, you know, actual points.
Pretty sure Hartley's 97 point season was more points than we had last year.

I'm not even saying Hartley was a good coach. Just that he was a better coach than Glen Gulutzan.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-24-2017 at 07:20 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: