Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 06:41 AM   #6801
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Toronto would prefer a RHD, given they have a few decent LHD already and Babcock, like GG, like's his L/R pairings. A deal worked around Hamilton for Nylander would be more likely. But still not going to happen.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #6802
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toronto does Nylander for Hamilton all day every day but Treliving would never make that deal as it's poor value. Nylander is a nice player but a top 4 defenseman has more value and I'm not even sure Treliving would trade Brodie straight across for him seeing how he covets defensemen.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:48 AM   #6803
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would want a 1st and maybe 2nd attaches to Nylander if we are trading Hamilton for him.

If we signed Fox in the offseason I would t be opposed to that deal assuming Toronto’s 1st is going to be around 17-21
Old 01-30-2018, 07:50 AM   #6804
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dougie is a 23 year old #2 d-man on one of, if not the most impressive advance stats pairings in the league.

Not trading him. He’s a foundational piece. Hamilton and Giordano are off the trade board as far as I’m concerned.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #6805
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed about Hamilton, except he's 24.

He has a peculiarly habit of aging every year. Unlike Bennett.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2018, 08:20 AM   #6806
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more we talk about Hamilton, the more I'm still surprised that the Flames got him. It gives me hope that there's a chance to get Stone from the sens. He's an RFA and he hasn't been singed yet, when you have a player like that you have to get him signed ASAP. Maybe Stone isn't a good locker guy like Hamilton...
Old 01-30-2018, 08:22 AM   #6807
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ottawa seems to be pretty much running people out of town. But the fact he's an RFA and isn't signed in January doesn't mean much of anything. Look at Gaudreau...
Old 01-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #6808
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Agreed about Hamilton, except he's 24.

He has a peculiarly habit of aging every year. Unlike Bennett.
I refuse to acknowledge that I'm getting older, why should I not grant Dougie the same leeway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
The more we talk about Hamilton, the more I'm still surprised that the Flames got him. It gives me hope that there's a chance to get Stone from the sens. He's an RFA and he hasn't been singed yet, when you have a player like that you have to get him signed ASAP. Maybe Stone isn't a good locker guy like Hamilton...
I'd throw down a lot to get Stone.

2019 1st round pick
2020 1st round pick
Oliver Kylington

...and then imagine this:

#26 - Mi. Stone
#61 - Ma. Stone

...that's how they'd handle that, right?

In all seriousness though, we've seen a lot of teams overpay on a yearly basis "trying to get over the top" where they overspend with draft picks and prospects on minor additions at the deadline. Let's forgo that process, pay a big price up front but get the RIGHT piece. The roster as a whole has been constructed, and is filled with young players who will be here long-term. That doesn't leave a lot of roster spots, especially at the top-end of the roster, for players to come in and make an impact. Our impact players are already here except for one very specific need - a goal scoring winger. Stone is 25, we could extend him long-term, and then our top 9 forwards are set, our top 4 d are set. We have plenty of depth on the blueline coming up, we have plenty of depth up front on the way for those bottom 3 spots, and our goaltending depth is (unpredictably) one of the best in the league.

Spend big today, and then battle and grow with the roster over the next handful of years.

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-30-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #6809
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I refuse to acknowledge that I'm getting older, why should I not grant Dougie the same leeway?

I'd throw down a lot to get Stone.

2019 1st round pick
2020 1st round pick
Oliver Kylington

...and then imagine this:

#26 - Mi. Stone
#61 - Ma. Stone

...that's how they'd handle that, right?
Why stop there? Trade the 2021 and 2022 1st as well. Who needs 1st round picks and good prospects
Old 01-30-2018, 09:58 AM   #6810
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesNation23 View Post
Why stop there? Trade the 2021 and 2022 1st as well. Who needs 1st round picks and good prospects
We've got a young team with a very specific need. Sure, we could sit back and try and plug holes every year like we used to - or we could push the chips in. If in 4 years we have nothing to show for it, you take things back to the drawing board and start over, sell players off, recoup picks. It's better to be bold than to try and maintain mediocrity in what? The name of "anything can happen"?

And no, I'm not saying spend endlessly from the future for right now. I'm saying spend from the next 2 years in an attempt to win NOW. Give yourself a real shot at winning right now. If you do, a Stanley Cup is forever. If you don't - rebuilds can happen at a blistering speed now that teams are beginning to "figure it out".

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-30-2018 at 10:01 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #6811
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think one player would just wear Stone on their jersey and the other would be M. Stone

Has that ever happened before?
Old 01-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #6812
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Am I the only one who thinks Mark Stone is a bit overrated here? Career best is 64pts / 26g and he's 25. Monahan is 23, similar size and playing style, and career best is 63pts / 31g. Sure he's the Sens best forward, but he's also one of those 6'3" guys who doesn't play very physical. Not saying I wouldn't love to have him on RW, but some of the assets going the other way are too steep IMO.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #6813
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I think one player would just wear Stone on their jersey and the other would be M. Stone

Has that ever happened before?
Just throw nicknames on their jerseys.

STONER
STONSEY
Old 01-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #6814
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Mark Stone is a bit overrated here? Career best is 64pts / 26g and he's 25. Monahan is 23, similar size and playing style, and career best is 63pts / 31g. Sure he's the Sens best forward, but he's also one of those 6'3" guys who doesn't play very physical. Not saying I wouldn't love to have him on RW, but some of the assets going the other way are too steep IMO.
Nah Stone is a world class two way player. Only knock on acquiring him now is what his next contract will cost.

But honestly Kylington, and two firsts would be a steal for us if we signed him to a Johnny contract.

We draft our good players in the 4th round anyways

Ottawa would be silly to make him available (but they are run by a silly man)
Old 01-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #6815
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

No way I give up a package of just prospects and then multiple firsts to get Stone to pay him $7.5M per and have a hard time affording Tkachuk, Backlund etc.

I know Stone is the perfect fit. An elite RW that would be an amazing fit on the top 2 lines but the Sens are likely not moving him. If we are going to fantisize over Stone let’s go back to dreaming about Tavares as it is a similar likelihood we can get either
Old 01-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #6816
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Nah Stone is a world class two way player. Only knock on acquiring him now is what his next contract will cost.

But honestly Kylington, and two firsts would be a steal for us if we signed him to a Johnny contract.

We draft our good players in the 4th round anyways

Ottawa would be silly to make him available (but they are run by a silly man)

Call me old fashioned, but I like 6'3" players who play like their 6'3". It's the only thing that drives me nuts about Monahan.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:17 AM   #6817
nightfx
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Stone uses his reach better than pretty much any forward in the NHL, is that not playing like he's 6'3"?
Old 01-30-2018, 10:19 AM   #6818
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
No way I give up a package of just prospects and then multiple firsts to get Stone to pay him $7.5M per and have a hard time affording Tkachuk, Backlund etc.

I know Stone is the perfect fit. An elite RW that would be an amazing fit on the top 2 lines but the Sens are likely not moving him. If we are going to fantisize over Stone let’s go back to dreaming about Tavares as it is a similar likelihood we can get either
Here's a projection based on an $82,000,000 Salary Cap in 2019/2020.

https://capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/572069

It does work. It's not that crazy. That line-up doesn't even factor in Andersson or Fox on cheaper deals, but yes - does require 1 of Rittich/Parsons/Gillies being a starting goalie.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:25 AM   #6819
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfx View Post
Stone uses his reach better than pretty much any forward in the NHL, is that not playing like he's 6'3"?
Yeah... ummm... players who reach for pucks put themselves in vulnerable positions.. just saying.

I always cringe when seeing guys reach.. skate through the puck or get off the ice. Don’t reach!
Old 01-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #6820
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfx View Post
Was specifically referring to his physicality, hence the "not very physical" part. Would kind of rather have a guy like Ferland on the top-line with Gaudreau, as Ferland will get in opposing player's faces and even drop the gloves if needed. Stone isn't really that type of player. Not that he's a bad player, just an element to his game is missing that I value more than most I guess. If he was as physical as his brother, I'd be sold.
Closed Thread