Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #7601
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Maroon has a good history of scoring in the playoffs. He did it with Getzlaf and Perry in Anaheim, and McDavid in Edmonton.

For sure he needs good players to zoom him, but he can get the job done when he plays with them.

Playoff teams usually have great players, and are looking for depth players that can play with them, so Maroon should have some value.
True enough, and those are good points, he certainly would have some value, but as a 29 year-old ~30 point-ish (on McDavid's wing) guy, that value may not be all that high.

And again, that being said, maybe he prefers to stay with the Oilers because he or his agent think they can finagle a big retirement deal out of them. Why not? Lucic and Russel did.
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #7602
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
True enough, and those are good points, he certainly would have some value, but as a 29 year-old ~30 point-ish (on McDavid's wing) guy, that value may not be all that high.

And again, that being said, maybe he prefers to stay with the Oilers because he or his agent think they can finagle a big retirement deal out of them. Why not? Lucic and Russel did.
Yeah you sign players that have other options and you give too much term.

I do like that both Russell's and Lucic's contracts drop off heavy in terms of salary the last couple of seasons.

I'm curious why Treliving didn't do that with any of the Brouwer, Backlund, or Giordano contracts.

It doesn't really make any sense not to IMO.

I Stand by that remark.-MrMastodonFarm
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #7603
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

I do like that both Russell's and Lucic's contracts drop off heavy in terms of salary the last couple of seasons.

I'm curious why Treliving didn't do that with any of the Brouwer, Backlund, or Giordano contracts.

Takes two to tango.

Agents are aware their players can get moved more easily with nose diving contracts.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #7604
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^ The last year of Russell's contract is where it drops off. The first 3 years are still top heavy imo (5, 4.5 and 4 if I am not mistaken). I don't get the Russell re-signing at all. I don't think there was any kind of heavy interest in the open market for him. Oilers overpaid unnecessarily. The first 3 years are way over priced and the last he will be sitting on the bench. The 7 year term was excessive on Lucic's contract so there really is no value in Chiarelli paying Lucic less on the last couple of years. He shouldn't have gotten 7 to begin with.

I don't think there was room for the Backlund contract to have a lower cap hit at the end. He was going to paid in the open market. Gio's contract arguably - yes he could have tried. I think most teams would have taken that trade-off thoughwith Gio coming off the season he had. Price they had to pay for an extension and him not hitting the open market. Likely will be below value in the last two years but above value in the first few in my opinion. He is criminally underrated. Those two really aren't comparable at all to Lucic and Russell or even Maroon.

Brouwer's contract was a mistake. But the difference is that it is a 4 year mistake vs. 7 on Lucic. I think I would rather have Brouwer's contract right now. Don't get me wrong, Lucic has more production but it's not helping Edm.
GettinIggyWithIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #7605
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Takes two to tango.

Agents are aware their players can get moved more easily with nose diving contracts.
That's why they all have NTC clauses.

Players usually want as much money upfront as possible.

Guards against buyouts and also getting millions of dollars a few years earlier is really awesome for investment purposes.

Seems like none of the Flames players really have back diving deals.

I wonder if its a management thing or an ownership thing.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #7606
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Stuaffer trying to lower Oiler fans expectations on returns. Which means they might be hilariously bad.

https://twitter.com/statuses/967466265097912320
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #7607
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:

Also because the new CBA limits the amount that you can back-dive contracts.

I dont think its significant enough to really be a deal-breaker.
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #7608
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Also because the new CBA limits the amount that you can back-dive contracts.

I dont think its significant enough to really be a deal-breaker.
Its limited to half the amount from the first year. That can be significant.

Russell for instance gets $5,000,000 in salary his first year, and $2,500,000 his last year. With a $1,000,000 in signing bonus in his last year, any team taking on that contract in trade would only have to pay out $1,500,000 in real money after July 1st.

That's a big difference.

And most big, long term contracts back dive at least a little. McDavid for instance is making 15M his first few years.

Curious that Monahan and Gaudreau aren't getting anything extra upfront. The interest difference on say 9M vs 6.75 is substantial.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:37 PM   #7609
monkeyman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Stuaffer trying to lower Oiler fans expectations on returns. Which means they might be hilariously bad.

https://twitter.com/statuses/967466265097912320
The days leading up to trade deadline day must feel like Christmas Eve to a few lucky Oilers players.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #7610
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Strome is going to net them next to nothing, he's got one foot on the brake and one foot on a european career.
Kurgan: That shall be His undoing.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #7611
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another Oilers wiretap captured before oilers v avalanche...

Agent: Leon? Leon? Is that you baby? Yeah, it’s me baby, yeah. Hey, did you hear that chatter around Edmonton about you? Yes, the trade deadline stuff about you. I heard it on tsn1260 and 630ched. yes about you to Ottawa for Karlsson. You better believe it because it’s true. I know that no one thinks that oilers should do that trade, I heard all the tweets and emails and calls. Here’s the thing though. You have to show Ottawa that you are worth it. How? I don’t know, how about using your size and skate around the offensive zone? Good idea, you pass to him once in a while instead of the other way around. Do it in overtime when everyone is watching. Listen Leon baby, this is your big chance to get out of there. I know that you feel sorry for Erik but look, it’s him or you. Yeah just pretend that you haven’t signed that big contract yet. No of course you don’t have to get onto the casting couch again. No no no no I’m your agent. I already got on the couch. How else do you think that we got $8.5 per year. Yes I agree... I just kept thinking of the sound of music through it all. And hey listen leon, let’s not ever talk about how I got the contract length. Thanks for thanking me but listen, if you want to get out you gotta show “huge Euge”...no I don’t know what that means. Speaking of melnyk, he asks for some of that German mumbo jumbo stuff... he said that he needs you to convince your German mates to beat Canada. What? Yes, I know it is impossible when you aren’t on the ice. Hey, how about a couple of calls telling the German players that if they win, you get to leave the Oilers. Who wouldn’t do that for a buddy? Listen, play great versus the Avs, get Germany to beat Canada, and you will be as good as out of there. And stay off of that casting couch, no matter how many weiner schnitzels they offer.

Outcome? Draisaitl plays great versus Avs; 1G in game and 1A in OT to McDavid and Germany 4-3 over Canada.

Last edited by McG; 02-24-2018 at 03:31 PM.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #7612
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Takes two to tango.

These guys all have NTCs no? Youd think is generally the player that benefits from front loading but I would imagine not every team wants to manage its cash flow that way.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote