Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #1181
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Whatever happened to Brendan Fraser"

putting aside any jokes about his acting skills and decline in handsomeness as he got older, I can believe he lost jobs because of Berk. It doesn't seem to be hard to ruin someones career in hollywood.

https://etcanada.com/news/302501/bre...fpa-president/

https://www.gq.com/story/what-ever-h...brendan-fraser

Fraser says the experience messed with his sense of “who I was and what I was doing.” Work, he says, “withered on the vine for me. In my mind, at least, something had been taken away from me.” This past fall, he watched other people come forward to talk about similar experiences, he says. “I know Rose [McGowan], I know Ashley [Judd], I know Mira [Sorvino]—I've worked with them. I call them friends in my mind. I haven't spoken to them in years, but they're my friends. I watched this wonderful movement, these people with the courage to say what I didn't have the courage to say.”

Last edited by GordonBlue; 02-23-2018 at 12:50 PM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #1182
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I read that piece yesterday. I went into it thinking it was going to be another 'sad Keanu' type thing. I thought it was going to be funny. It was a really sad, depressing read. He seems like a genuinely decent, humble, nice guy. You can tell he's carrying around a lot of things that he hasn't been able to resolve or fully put behind him. He seems to thinks less of himself now, whether it's because of the humiliation with Berk, his injuries and losing his tall, strong body type or his self doubt for not living up to what he thought he could accomplish in his career. I hope nothing but the best for the guy.

My favourite uplifting part of it is how he blows off steam:

Quote:
“I'm okay,” he says. “I think I just need to let some arrows fly.”

He excuses himself as I ponder what this means. A few minutes go by. When he returns, it's with a leather quiver full of arrows strapped to his back. He steps out onto his porch. Outside, he lofts a bow, nocks an arrow. Down below on his lawn, maybe 75 yards away, is an archery target. He releases the arrow straight into the target's center. Bull's-eye. Then nocks a second arrow, and does it again.
I need to try that. Get an actual bow & arrow and 'let some arrows fly'!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #1183
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Firing a bow is very therapeutic. It’s quiet and requires concentration. Almost like yoga.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:14 AM   #1184
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So Monica Lewinsky is back in the news, because it's a gross abuse of power and old crimes must be exhumed and the men must be pilloried.

Quote:
In the magazine piece, Ms Lewinsky, now 44, says she stands by her 2014 comments that their relationship was consensual, but muses about the "vast power differentials" that existed between the two.

Ergo, even though she consented with the most powerful man in the world, it's still the crime that #Metoo was founded on.

Quote:
She writes that she was moved to tears after being contacted by one of the leaders of the #MeToo movement, who expressed sympathy that Ms Lewinsky was "so alone" during the affair.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:53 AM   #1185
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
So apparently the hysteria has now reached a level that a few anonymous people on twitter can make unsubstantiated claims and it ruins a bands career.

Given the insane amount of fake accounts, trolls, russians etc, it is crazy to think that all you'd have to do is set up a few fake social media accounts, make some accusations anonymously and just like that you can ruin someone's life. And without ever leaving your keyboard. Just say some stuff online and let the hysteria take over and once that ball gets rolling, it ain't stopping.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4053142/c...al-misconduct/

On Wednesday, Katie Summers from Calgary radio show AMP Mornings with Katie and Ed at 90.3 AMP shared an experience she said happened about seven years ago when Hoggard was a guest at the station.

“This person who sings in this band made a really inappropriate comment to me and also touched me inappropriately,” Summers said in a video posted to Twitter on Wednesday morning. “And that person was Jacob Hoggard from Hedley.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4055149/h...t-allegations/

In a statement posted to Twitter on Wednesday evening, Hoggard denied having ever engaged in any form of non-consensual sexual behaviour. But he apologized for what he described as his “reckless and dismissive” treatment of women over the last 13 years.

The band’s official Twitter account also posted a statement announcing that it will be taking a hiatus “to work on our personal relationships and who we are as individuals.”
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:55 AM   #1186
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I doubt that we ever see that band again and in 20 years we find out that Hoggard is working in a guitar store somewhere.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #1187
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment...duct-1.4537263

'I said stop': Ottawa woman accuses Hedley singer Jacob Hoggard of rape

WARNING: This story contains graphic details.

The relationship between the 24-year-old, petite blond and Jacob Hoggard, the frontman for Canadian rock band Hedley, began in the fall of 2016 with a surprise Tinder swipe in the nation's capital. She says it developed into daily Snapchat flirtations before ending two weeks later in a Toronto hotel room, where, she says, the singer raped her and sent her away crying uncontrollably.

The woman says she decided to share her story with CBC after drawing courage from the dozens of mainly anonymous women who have spoken out on social media about alleged negative experiences with the B.C. band.

She says she pushed him off and remembers him accusing her of "being all talky, talky."

After the alleged initial forced kissing, Hoggard appeared to settle down over the next hour, and they made small talk, she says. She remembers a hotel employee knocking on the door to let Hoggard know his "regular" room was ready.

At that point, she says, Hoggard took her cellphone because he didn't want her taking photos of them together.

She says they had only been watching for 10 minutes when he flipped her over on her stomach and pinned her down. She alleges he slapped her, spat on her and forced her to have anal sex — something she says she had never done before. She says he didn't wear a condom and that he ignored her when she cried "stop" through tears.

She says she remembers seeing herself reflected in the mirror over the bed. "He was choking me, and my face went so red."

She says he didn't stop assaulting her even though she was bleeding from her vagina and anus. At one point, she says, he pulled her off the bed by her legs and dragged her into the bathroom. She says Hoggard asked several times if he could urinate on her, then asked if she wanted to pee on him. She says he backed off when she kept repeating, "No, that's disgusting."

She alleges that was the only time he asked for consent.

In the five hours she was in the Thompson Hotel, she says, Hoggard raped her several times — vaginally and anally. In the middle of it, Hoggard ordered room service, she said.

Six days after arriving home in Ottawa, she went to the College Square Medical Clinic, near Algonquin College. A doctor examined her for injuries after she told him she had been sexually assaulted and ordered a series of tests for sexually transmitted diseases. She says the doctor encouraged her to report what happened to police.

Last edited by chemgear; 03-01-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #1188
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/hedl...ge_concertgoer

Rob Bazinet worked at London's beloved all-ages venue the Embassy for 11 years, serving as its general manager until the venue burned down in 2009. At the time, Bazinet was so synonymous with the venue that he earned the nickname Embassy Rob.

"When I got up there, I went to check — and usually I'd check the whole space — but one of the bedrooms had the door shut. And I went to go check it, and the rest of the band got in the way."

"They had found a young woman, unconscious with no shoes by the TD Bank, which was a block away," he recalls. "They took her to the hospital, they ran a blood test on her because they thought she might be drunk or on drugs, and it came back that there was rohypnol [known as a date rape drug] in her system."

The police linked the girl to the Embassy because of the stamp on her hand, according to Bazinet.

He also remembers that she had an X on her hand, suggesting she was below the legal drinking age.

"From what I understand, the girl was underage. So her name is sealed. But there's a police report from that night that says Hedley is the suspect."

Exclaim! has contacted the London police department seeking more information about the alleged incident.

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/the...ign_speaks_out

Now, the woman behind the account has revealed her identity and spoken out as to why she launched the campaign.

Speaking with CBC, the woman revealed herself to be Taylor Bowman. The 21-year-old lives in Manitoba (her exact location was not disclosed), and Bowman explained that she was motivated to start the Twitter hashtag after she heard multiple stories about the band from friends.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:23 AM   #1189
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too much smoke for there to be no fire. Sounds like the rest of the band is complicit in this crap. Hang em all.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #1190
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Too much smoke for there to be no fire. Sounds like the rest of the band is complicit in this crap. Hang em all.
Yeah it very quickly went from weird internet rumour to multiple on the record accounts of assault.

I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't another example of "Harvey being Harvey" situations and the reason so many people turned on them early on with no evidence wasn't just because of a bunch of anonymous twitter accounts but because they'd seen the signs and wanted to get out before this blew up big.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:34 AM   #1191
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
So Monica Lewinsky is back in the news, because it's a gross abuse of power and old crimes must be exhumed and the men must be pilloried.

Ergo, even though she consented with the most powerful man in the world, it's still the crime that #Metoo was founded on.
A consensual relationship with a superior is now grounds for #MeToo?

Last edited by TorqueDog; 03-01-2018 at 09:38 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #1192
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

@JacobHoggard

"I've decided to step away from my career." He may be stepping into a jail cell.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:55 PM   #1193
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
A consensual relationship with a superior is now grounds for #MeToo?
Yes. Consensual conventional coitus between CIS hetero's is rape because of patriarchy as defined by Feminism. https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ent-patriarchy

Last edited by Cliche; 03-01-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #1194
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yes. Consensual conventional coitus between CIS hetero's is rape because of patriarchy as defined by Feminism. https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ent-patriarchy
I can't leave the house anymore out of fear that I will rape everything I see. #wokeas####
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #1195
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Them there's a whole lot of big words.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #1196
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Amazing after all this people don’t understand the problem with abusing power dynamics.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2018, 07:10 PM   #1197
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Amazing after all this people don’t understand the problem with abusing power dynamics.
Don't you have to leave the onus on the woman though that if she consents to being in a relationship, that's she's agree to the purpose of it?

If it was consensual, then she was fine with going through with it. If an adult woman truly doesn't want to do it, don't do it. No one is forcing them to. Women still have a sense of responsibility for themselves.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:46 PM   #1198
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not even a responsibility, but a right. A woman has the right to #### whomever she wants. Assuming a female sleeping with someone in a position of power has been taken advantage of is not fair.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:53 PM   #1199
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Not even a responsibility, but a right. A woman has the right to #### whomever she wants. Assuming a female sleeping with someone in a position of power has been taken advantage of is not fair.
Ya, but the case here is that Lewinsky said it was consensual, but was being taken advantage of. Not others saying that for her.

I'm finding it difficult with her being an adult who knew what she was getting into, could really believe she was being taken advantage of despite being consensual to the relationship.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #1200
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I believe that you can still consent but be coerced or mislead into consent.

Maybe Monica felt pressure by the President to say yes, maybe her admiration for the man made her make a decision that she wouldn't make with a normal man.

Who knows.