Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #6061
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
Oh.... and if you need proof of this, look no further then that press conference posted here by Textcritic (posted below again). We all joke about how lame MacT and Lowe's excuses are during that presser... but there is only one person who they needed to convince (Katz), and they did just that, they also convinced many Oilers fans along the way, and that's because they all have one thing in common - they idolized them when they were younger (MacT, Lowe, Gretzky, etc.). I mean come on - who in their right mind would ever think that the problems with the Oilers today has anything to do with the fact that they won championships over 25 years ago... it's just nonsensical.
Right? I mean I loved Fleury as a player. He did a lot for this team in a time when the team wasn't very good, but I wouldn't want him running the team.

In the same way that very gifted players (like Gretz) were fantastic on the ice but not so much as a coach way would people think that would translate into a successful GM or similar position?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #6062
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
not saying the Oilers are gonna make it...just that counting them out because of a 94 point record is kinda silly. Wild Card B will very likely be much lower
more like Wild Cardi B
Old 01-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #6063
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Right? I mean I loved Fleury as a player. He did a lot for this team in a time when the team wasn't very good, but I wouldn't want him running the team.

In the same way that very gifted players (like Gretz) were fantastic on the ice but not so much as a coach way would people think that would translate into a successful GM or similar position?

Exactly.... in fact, often, the smarter someone is, the more naturally gifted they are in an any particular area, the worse they are at teaching it or coaching it - because they never really had to work at it, or work at in the same way a regular person would have to. The never had to break it down into to the small steps or the mechanics of what they are doing to succeed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #6064
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh.... and if you need proof of this, look no further then that press conference posted here by Textcritic (posted below again). We all joke about how lame MacT and Lowe's excuses are during that presser... but there is only one person who they needed to convince (Katz), and they did just that, they also convinced many Oilers fans along the way, and that's because they all have one thing in common - they idolized them when they were younger (MacT, Lowe, Gretzky, etc.). I mean come on - who in their right mind would ever think that the problems with the Oilers today has anything to do with the fact that they won championships over 25 years ago... it's just nonsensical.

That was a good two and a half minutes, thank you for bringing that video up
Old 01-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #6065
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Okay, less talk about the Stamps, less talk about fixing the Oilers. Check the thread you're in people

Funny.... do you think they'll listen anyhow, they are too arrogant - and really, that's the root of all their problems. One win and they are back to thinking they are the most gifted team in the league. Just look at when Hitch came in and they went on that 9-2 run, they were back and as arrogant as before, they never learned from their past mistakes even when those mistakes were a mere 12 games earlier. They have no humility - they aren't humble in the slightest.

In contrast... the Flames are truly humble... they are reflective. The Flames all know that they didn't deserve to win that last game against Colorado, so they know they need to do better, they will worker harder because of it. The Flames are also learning they are great... but they can be great and still have humility and be humble all at the same time - it is possible. The Flames aren't perfect - far from it, and they know it, and that's the difference.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #6066
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Current record that would get the Oilers to 94 points.

25-12-1

Not happening.
But a few mercy ####s and token wins/OTL will keep the coach, management and players all in place!
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #6067
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Okay, less talk about the Stamps, less talk about fixing the Oilers. Check the thread you're in people
The Oilers are no good.

The Eskimos suck too.

Last edited by tvp2003; 01-11-2019 at 09:31 AM.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #6068
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Human nature.... or more like man nature.... some boys like to fix things that are broken. Will they listen..... I don't think so.

I remember getting so mad at the Stamps for falling into the exact same trap... it only took the Stamps about 5 years to get out.... the Oilers have been in the trap for well over a decade and counting.

I wouldn't be surprised if management is quite disconnected from the team. They have their job security. They don't have answers since they dug in for the long hall and are used to coming to work with no real accountability. The whole organization is complacent. No one wants to take responsibility after all any changes might affect their own jobs. To further your point about this group only having to be accountable to Katz, I am reminded of the meeting between McDavid and Katz shortly after the draft. Pretty sure someone encouraged that scenario by impressing on Katz that their long term drafting strategy had finally succeeded.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #6069
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm okay with the Oilers one step forward, two steps back approach on the season.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #6070
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbob View Post
i'm okay with the oilers one step forward, two steps back approach on Every season.
fyp
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #6071
SilverKast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Yep the Grease have the most diehard, bipolar fanbase I've ever seen. A few losses and they're trying to decide who to draft first over all, jerseys are flying on the ice and they all cry like it's the end of days.

String together a few wins though and it's back to planning the parade, how many cups in a row will they win and who the cup gets passed to first during the celly.

It's quite hilarious to watch.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #6072
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I still love Lowe's response in the press conference that he has won more Stanley Cup's then everyone else in the league but one other person, it's so arrogant.

So he has won 6 as a player.... how many as a coach or other management position.... 0.... so he really knows #### about winning in the capacity he is in.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #6073
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So, when are we going to hear people clamoring for McDavid's suspension?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...blad-rare-hit/

If someone wants to embed because I have no idea:

<iframe src='//players.brightcove.net/1704050871/rkedLxwfab_default/index.html?videoId=5988183045001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>

Last edited by ToraToraTora; 01-11-2019 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Sorry, I have absolutely no clue how to embed this video.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToraToraTora For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #6074
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
I still love Lowe's response in the press conference that he has won more Stanley Cup's then everyone else in the league but one other person, it's so arrogant.

So he has won 6 as a player.... how many as a coach or other management position.... 0.... so he really knows #### about winning in the capacity he is in.
Pretty slick (greasy) the way he just shoehorns that in there, too. That he was on all those Cup teams that MacTavish mentioned (plus one more!!).

That clip is so steeped in cringe I can barely watch it. They deserve to go on a Red Sox/Cubs type of drought. I'd rather see Toronto win the Cup than Edmonton.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #6075
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraToraTora View Post
So, when are we going to hear people clamoring for McDavid's suspension?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...blad-rare-hit/

If someone wants to embed because I have no idea:

<iframe src='//players.brightcove.net/1704050871/rkedLxwfab_default/index.html?videoId=5988183045001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>
HAha the commentary on the replay. Are you freaking kidding me?

That isn’t suspension worthy in my opinion, but it isn’t clean.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #6076
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post

It was actually a mighty soft hit, it just looked worse than it was because Ekblad was at McHammerandballs level when he received it
Old 01-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #6077
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
It was actually a mighty soft hit, it just looked worse than it was because Ekblad was at McHammerandballs level when he received it
It was pretty cowardly. Ekblad was in a vulnerable position before McDavid decided to hit him. It just shows a lack of respect.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #6078
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
The Oilers are no good.

The Eskimos suck too.

Its almost like its a City-wide epidemic! The whole place....all of Edmonton is No Good.

Their Hockey team is No Good.
Their Football Team is No Good.
Their City sign is No Good.
Their Submarines in the Arctic are No Good.
Their Fantasy Themed Hotel that lets you pretend for the Love of God that you're not actually in Edmonton is No Good.

You can just keep going down the list. Its all No Good.

If being Good at being No Good was a thing Edmonton would find a way to be No Good at it and yet still manage to suck.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #6079
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post

Last night.... I said the same thing... but watching it closer... he does go in and raises his elbow to Ekblad's head.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #6080
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I was just commenting on the “Boom”.

Either:
it was soft = boom??
Or
It was dirty = boom??

ENG
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread