Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #7801
ColoradoFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I loved Ferland and what he did for us, but I think the cost will be too high.

If one of the Ritchie brothers (Dallas/Anaheim) might be available if their team drops out, maybe they could fill that role?

Both are cost controlled, young, big
I can’t see the acquisition cost being excessive
The Following User Says Thank You to ColoradoFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 04:30 PM   #7802
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Wrong division and you'd have to imagine Monahan is on a beach somewhere a few drinks deep.
Ahhh that’s right with the divisions and totes - Cancun will be filled with NHLers this week no doubt!
Old 01-24-2019, 04:31 PM   #7803
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Yeah, and I can definitely see the desire to add a veteran - but I'd hope that the organization would trust the kids, at least to start. I feel like Kylington and Andersson, given their level of aggression (always standing up for each other and teammates), are pretty good candidates to rise to the occasion.

Acquiring cheap veteran depth definitely isn't a bad idea. I just wouldn't be super jazzed to see a 6/7 veteran d-man come in and instantly see Kylington get benched.
I would imagine Kylington hits the bench/Stockton once Valimaki is back anyways, which will probably occur first or second game back from this break.

Should there be no injuries moving forward,(unlikely) he will be back in Calgary once Stocktons season is over. Somewhere in the middle of April as it appears now.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:35 PM   #7804
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Andrew Shaw with some salary retention would be awesome in my mind.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #7805
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Montreal is in a playoff spot though.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:44 PM   #7806
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoFlamesFan View Post
I loved Ferland and what he did for us, but I think the cost will be too high.

If one of the Ritchie brothers (Dallas/Anaheim) might be available if their team drops out, maybe they could fill that role?

Both are cost controlled, young, big
I can’t see the acquisition cost being excessive
One has to think that Nick Ritchie, who is playing at a 48 point pace over 82 games and is a former 1st round draft pick and is signed for another two years at a 1.5 million dollar cap hit may be pretty expensive to acquire. Probably the 2019 1st round pick and a good prospect.

Brett Ritchie, who sucks, probably would not cost much.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #7807
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hearing that we are in the mix for Burakovsky. Caps arent looking for picks though, they want to shed some cap or get better now either through a shutdown top 9 type player or defensive D-man.

Could be running up the price also but I know Brad wants to add a speedy top 9 winger.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:04 PM   #7808
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Hearing that we are in the mix for Burakovsky. Caps arent looking for picks though, they want to shed some cap or get better now either through a shutdown top 9 type player or defensive D-man.

Could be running up the price also but I know Brad wants to add a speedy top 9 winger.
Stone for Burakovsky!

Another 1st rounder from that 2013 draft...last guy the Flames signed from that draft worked out ok,
Old 01-24-2019, 05:04 PM   #7809
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we are in on Burakovsky, and were in on Viktor Rask, seems to be fitting Trelivings MO of going after players with cost control. We have some players teams could use so we may make a sneaky trade coming up to the trade deadline.

Last edited by dammage79; 01-24-2019 at 10:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #7810
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Needs would be a little more speed, grit and playoff experience. If you can get that in one player then great.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #7811
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the price is right, I would love to add Nick Ritchie. He is a young power forward that is just starting to break out, IMO. Cost would probably be too much, but he is the type of player you want for the playoffs. I didn't think that Anaheim would be making him available. I wonder what the acquisition price would be.

edit: Also, Edmonton was in on Athanasiou? I wonder what the cost on him is? Great wheels, IQ and a great shot. Only 24 years old too. It would be just like Calgary to swoop in and pull the rug under Edmonton's feet again
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #7812
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
I don't want Andrew Shaw anywhere near this team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #7813
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
If the price is right, I would love to add Nick Ritchie. He is a young power forward that is just starting to break out, IMO. Cost would probably be too much, but he is the type of player you want for the playoffs. I didn't think that Anaheim would be making him available. I wonder what the acquisition price would be.
Where did you hear he was available? I've only heard rumours that Brett Ritchie is available.

If Nick Ritchie is available, you easily trade the first rounder and a prospect for him. One of the toughest guys in the league who can also play and on a great cap hit. Can't see why the Ducks would trade him.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:48 PM   #7814
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be putting Stone in trades. He may or may not be healthy by the deadline. I doubt any team would take a chance on a guy that has been off ice for months for blot clot issues.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:48 PM   #7815
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

edit: Also, Edmonton was in on Athanasiou? I wonder what the cost on him is? Great wheels, IQ and a great shot. Only 24 years old too. It would be just like Calgary to swoop in and pull the rug under Edmonton's feet again

Detroit is a young team in a rebuilding phase as well... it makes no sense to move out a 24 year that has 17 goals in 45 games. What would be the point of doing that?

I mean maybe the Oilers overpay... but guys like Athanasiou are the guys that a rebuilding team should be looking for, not giving away... now, if he was 29+ it would make sense...but he's 24.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:54 PM   #7816
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Detroit is a young team in a rebuilding phase as well... it makes no sense to move out a 24 year that has 17 goals in 45 games. What would be the point of doing that?

I mean maybe the Oilers overpay... but guys like Athanasiou are the guys that a rebuilding team should be looking for, not giving away... now, if he was 29+ it would make sense...but he's 24.
Athanasiou is a one trick pony, he can skate really fast, go end to end, scores occasionally, and has no idea where his own net is or what to do while he's there.

In other words, he's the prototypical Edmonton Oiler.

I can totally see why the Wings would trade him, especially if they could get the Oilers first round pick.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:07 PM   #7817
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Where did you hear he was available? I've only heard rumours that Brett Ritchie is available.

If Nick Ritchie is available, you easily trade the first rounder and a prospect for him. One of the toughest guys in the league who can also play and on a great cap hit. Can't see why the Ducks would trade him.

Sigh... I misread Sureloss' post - it is Brett Ritchie. I guess that's why nobody seemed very excited about him like I got.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #7818
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post

Frolik?
Old 01-24-2019, 06:50 PM   #7819
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
He's got too much term. No thanks.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:18 PM   #7820
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
I wouldn't be putting Stone in trades. He may or may not be healthy by the deadline. I doubt any team would take a chance on a guy that has been off ice for months for blot clot issues.
I want the Flames to hang on to Michael Stone at least until the situation with his brother is resolved. If Mark goes UFA any thing that might help to sway him to sign in Calgary is a plus. Unlikely scenario for sure, but you never know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread