Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #61
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would go in on a Jankowski + Bennett + Kylington/Andersson type deal for Duchene if it were available. However, I'd imagine that there are much stronger prospects on the table from other teams that also include picks so I don't see a deal happening.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:44 PM   #62
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
I know it is a long shot that we trade for Duchene but I want to know, which one would you rather have or which one would the better fit for the Flames Duchene or Landeskog?

I think Landeskog would a better fit, even he plays LW(we can always move someone to the RW), Landeskog would bring the toughness we need.
I would agree. Never been a big fan of Duchene-especially with the pricetag that comes with him.(not that Landeskog would be much cheaper)
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #63
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames are in on Duchene, they are going to have to give up an important piece back to Colorado. Colorado is a team that is apparently rebuilding and want that 2C behind MacKinnon. I think they would be wanting Sam Bennett, and that's when we should be off the radar for Duchene. Sam is a cheaper and younger player, no need for us to go after someone else.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #64
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If it was MacKinnon on the block I'd be a lot more interested in seeing the Flames throw a ridiculous package together. But its not, so I just don't see these two teams getting a deal done.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #65
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I would go in on a Jankowski + Bennett + Kylington/Andersson type deal for Duchene if it were available. However, I'd imagine that there are much stronger prospects on the table from other teams that also include picks so I don't see a deal happening.
Wow, at first I was unsurprised at the usual "take our junk" style trade proposals that people were putting out there but now I feel like the pendulum's swinging too far the other way. Not only will people construct a deal around Bennett (which makes some sense to me), but they're thinking it's Bennet plus Kylington or Andersson, PLUS Jankowski?

Good lord. I mean, if that's what Sakic is after (and of course there are reports that he's being unreasonable) then that's a pretty easy "no", isn't it?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #66
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
There's also too many questions around our goaltending to start competing now.
I'd rather have the team in place so that if the goaltending is good, we win. Teams can win with "questionable" goaltending because questionable goaltenders can get hot in the playoffs.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #67
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hideously disgusting trade from a Flames perspective that likely would cost Treliving his job.

Taking on a huge contract with only 2 years while sending an RFA who can be signed for less than half of Duchene's cap hit. and 2 guys on their ELC. Simply way too much for a guy that scored 41pts last year
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #68
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to have Duchene play with Bennett. They both have question marks as centers, however. Some teams have been rumored to think that Duchene makes for a better winger.

My guess is that the Flames are just doing what the Flames (under Treliving do) - kick the tires on everything.

I would say Valimaki + Kylington/Andersson would be a fair deal, but one that doesn't come without risk. Maybe Duchene likes it enough here and the Flames are winning enough with him that he re-signs for a relatively good deal that considers the 'Gio cap hit' so to speak. I do think that Duchene is BETTER than he shows in Colorado (just like almost everyone else not named Comeau).

Calgary would most assuredly jump right up into contender status (with a slight question mark in net) having that defence AND now that offence.

I am rather convinced that with Bennett having another year to develop, Gaudreau/Monahan/Ferland continuing where they left off last season and the 3M line not taking a step back - there is enough firepower on this team already. Adding Duchene without removing anything off the roster would definitely put Calgary over the top in both categories I feel. Gets me excited definitely, but I am not convinced that Calgary needs more offence as some other people are.

I do expect a bit of a rebound for Brouwer and Lazar, Versteeg is a great depth scorer, and I do think that Jankowski can come in this year and add a bit offensively (and of course defensively) to this team.

Duchene makes the already pretty fast Flames very fast though. I am greedy and want this to happen... but I know I will experience a bit of buyer's remorse in losing that depth on D. Not all those defencemen are going to make it, and I figure most of them will end up getting traded as they just don't fit on the team, but I will still feel a bit naked losing that depth.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #69
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duchene is a 20-25 goal, 50-55 point guy at best. I think Bennett can get there.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #70
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I want no part in dealing Bennett for Duchene
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #71
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

That's horrific. Gutting our prospect pool and trading a player that has the potential to be as good as Duchene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #72
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I want no part in dealing Bennett for Duchene
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #73
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Duchene is a 20-25 goal, 50-55 point guy at best. I think Bennett can get there.
He's a season removed from 30 goals in 76 games. He was a point-per-game player in 2014. When he was Bennett's age he already had a 27 goal, 67 point campaign.

A bad season on the worst team in the league and he still has an average of 60 points/82 games after entering the league as an 18 year old, but somehow he's a 50 point guy while the player with a career high of 36 points is going to be better. Okay.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #74
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would do Brouwer and a fifth round pick...maybe even a fourth round pick but it would have to happen now to make sense.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #75
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duchene had a down year but IMO you'd be absolutely nuts to not trade Bennett for him.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #76
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bennett is 2 years in and seems like he'll produce at least as much as Duchene... He has basically had a 20g 40p season and he has mostly been given 3rd line ice time. Plus he is way more physical. I think his upside is greater than Duchene.

Put in the wouldn't make that deal 1 for 1 camp. Higher wage, softer player, minimal production gain long run.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #77
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
If you want to put it that way, you can begin to call Eklund credible. I am not saying Friedman is unreliable, he just hasn't been right about a lot of "rumours" lately. So I will be skeptical about everything he says until he proves me wrong. That's all I am saying.

How do you know he hasn't been right? Hes not saying a player will get traded. He is saying these teams are talking or interested. That's it. He's writes on things he hears might happen. I believe he is very connected and bang on on a lot of what he says.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #78
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Hell no.

Are you an Oiler fan?
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #79
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Duchene had a down year but IMO you'd be absolutely nuts to not trade Bennett for him.
If Duchene was signed for 5 years it then yeah but Bennett is worth far more than 2 years of Duchene
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #80
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan403 View Post
Hell no.

Are you an Oiler fan?
I think he forgot the green text or he's drunk
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote