Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Playground zones

The highest ticketed playground zones in Calgary.

I’m all for playgrounds and playground zones but is the playground along Elbow Drive critical? Maybe it’s time to relocate the playground to a more kid friendly location? Is it currently heavily used?

1) 3200 Elbow Drive sw - 13.9% of city wide tickets
2) 1100 12 ave sw - 10.2%
3) 1600 10 ave sw - 9.6%
4) 1000 20 ave nw - 6.6%
5) 1500 9 ave se - 5.3%
6) 2200 26 ave sw - 4.2%
7) 2400 5 ave nw - 3.7%
8) 700 58 ave sw - 3.4%
9) 4800 Dalhousie drive nw - 3.3%
10) 1200 Northmount drive nw - 3.2%

All playground zones in Calgary (mapped):
https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/v...3.3555,51.2038

Elbow drive sw was the most enforced.

Pieces of the cbc article (not sure how to embed)

"It's not ideal for the safety of kids, but police aren't the ones who set up where the playground zones are or where the schools are, for that matter," he said.

The playground zone along Elbow Drive S.W., for instance, sees about 17,000 cars on an average weekday, according to the city's latest traffic counts.

And the No. 2 zone — the one on 12th Avenue S.W. next to Connaught School in the Beltline — gets about 13,000 vehicles per day.

He says the No. 2 playground zone outside Connaught School, for example, is seen as "a joke" by many drivers, who believe police target that location mainly because it's easy to catch people exceeding 30 km/h.

Hart noted that section of 12th Avenue S.W. is a one-way road with multiple lanes and said that type of road design tends to make 30 km/h feel especially slow compared to travelling at the same speed on a more narrow, two-way street.

Then there's the schoolyard itself, which is mostly behind a fence. And, Hart noted, there are rarely students there when most of the tickets are being issued.

Kids at Connaught School get out of class at 2:30 p.m., but two-thirds of the tickets in that zone were issued after 3 p.m., according to the data, with 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. being the most-ticketed hour of the day.

Hart believes the focus on zones at times like this damages the credibility of speed enforcement.

"People have a legitimate right to look at this and go: 'This is crazy.' Because it is," he said.

"That concerns me. If we're going to use enforcement, we can't erode its credibility. And I think we're at a point where it's pretty eroded. So that's a big concern."

Larry Leach shares that concern.

As president of the Crossroads Community Association in northeast Calgary, he's heard from many residents who question the timing of playground zone enforcement.

"Having the enforcement on a weekday after 5 p.m. seems a little pointless when you're taking school zones and amalgamating them with playground zones, as we have," Leach said.

Full article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ions-1.5130180
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

2400 5 ave nw

We've been caught a few times there. People turning off Crowchild forget to slow down.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #3
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one that's 3rd on the list, 1600 10 Ave.
I went to an escape room there one night in January.
I think we were getting out around 8pm, and the photo radar flash was going off almost every time a vehicle drove past.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Hart believes the focus on zones at times like this damages the credibility of speed enforcement.

"People have a legitimate right to look at this and go: 'This is crazy.' Because it is," he said.

"That concerns me. If we're going to use enforcement, we can't erode its credibility. And I think we're at a point where it's pretty eroded. So that's a big concern."
Ah, so they're never going to let this information out ever again.

Think of the children!!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought I got caught once at the Northmount Drive playground zone. A cop came out from behind his camera and it looked like he was flagging me down but he continued over to the next lane to flag the car beside me and waved me through. When I was out of sight of the cop, I was dancing wildly on my butt in jubilation.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #6
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My son was just ticked $109 on 26th Ave SW last month, going 41km/h. He learned his lesson with his wallet. I told him he donated to CPS for the year and stop at one donation for awhile.
vtec260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

At least I see that there were no tickets for the playground zone on 51st Street SW just north of Richmond Road. That playground zone is a joke - the playground is on the other side of a field and over a hill, not even visible from the road, not to mention it is a road through a commercial area.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #8
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
At least I see that there were no tickets for the playground zone on 51st Street SW just north of Richmond Road. That playground zone is a joke - the playground is on the other side of a field and over a hill, not even visible from the road, not to mention it is a road through a commercial area.
This one is simply just a "school zone" since they renamed them all to Playground a few years ago, and also incredibly short. Would be surprised if they ticketed much there, other than to grab people gunning it off the light/to make the light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #9
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

rich kids getting better protected
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:10 PM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
rich kids getting better protected
Alternatively, divers in the NE are much safer and don't speed as much.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #11
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

This city has an unhealthy obsession with playground zones, and the top two on the list are prime examples of it.

That section of Elbow Drive has a fenced playground the size of a postage stamp, yet is the longest playground zone in the city. On top of that, the roadway itself is already given a preposterously low speed limit of 40 KM/H and several no-left-turn restrictions.

The #2 spot is a main eastbound corridor in the Beltline and the playground zone is completely fenced off on that side of my memory serves me correctly.

I hate to admit it, but I think I'm actually respecting playground zone speed limits less as a whole since the conversion of school zones to playground zones and the city's decision to explore dropping the standard 50 KM/H limits to either 40 KM/H or 30 KM/H (which I am very opposed to for a variety of reasons). Even though my speed barely changes, I'm more likely to pay attention to whether there are kids (and speed enforcement) in the area.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 01:53 PM   #12
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I drive through the top three all the time, no surprise that they're so prolific. Almost by definition the top spots in the City for catching people speeding will be ones that don't make sense, generally people are pretty good at driving to conditions. I'd agree that out of all of them the one on 12th Ave is the worst. No one expects to slow down for a playground zone on a multi lane one way that's the thoroughfare in the beltline. They just gave up on any modicum of common sense for these zones when they extended them all to the 9 o clock hour no matter what. I hardly ever see kids at these things even on the nicest summer afternoon, there should be no reason to be nabbing people driving on 12th ave at 730pm pitch black in the winter but there's always cops there.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #13
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I drive through the top three all the time, no surprise that they're so prolific. Almost by definition the top spots in the City for catching people speeding will be ones that don't make sense, generally people are pretty good at driving to conditions. I'd agree that out of all of them the one on 12th Ave is the worst. No one expects to slow down for a playground zone on a multi lane one way that's the thoroughfare in the beltline. They just gave up on any modicum of common sense for these zones when they extended them all to the 9 o clock hour no matter what. I hardly ever see kids at these things even on the nicest summer afternoon, there should be no reason to be nabbing people driving on 12th ave at 730pm pitch black in the winter but there's always cops there.

You know how else that one gets you?

The damn stoplight in the middle of it.

So you cruise along, slow to 30, then hit a red light. You sit there for a god damn eternity, light turns green so you start accelerating and before you know it you're doing 36km/h because you forgot you're in the most ridiculous school/playground zone and you're busted!
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #14
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't City Council looking at reducing speeds to 30km/hr for all residential roads by default?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #15
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
You know how else that one gets you?

The damn stoplight in the middle of it.

So you cruise along, slow to 30, then hit a red light. You sit there for a god damn eternity, light turns green so you start accelerating and before you know it you're doing 36km/h because you forgot you're in the most ridiculous school/playground zone and you're busted!
The one on 14th and Sandarac NW is basically this, but it's not on the list. Curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:28 PM   #16
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

If people are constantly speeding - the revenue should be going back into the street design (traffic calming) to slow people down more naturally. People respond to the environment presented to them - Elbow for instance is a big road, so this is why it feels so natural to go much faster than the posted limits. Otherwise, just enforcing in the same places and not changing anything is viewed as a simple money grab.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #17
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk View Post
...just enforcing in the same places and not changing anything is viewed as a simple money grab.
fyp
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 02:33 PM   #18
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Having lived here all my life and been driving for 25 years, I've pretty much determined that the CPS traffic enforcement does not place their speed traps for safety reasons (most of the time), but for revenue reasons. I'm sure the vast majority of Calgary drivers agree wtih me on that.

So many speed traps that are just such BS. Examples:

Stoney @ Metis NE. Friggin tell me that there is some kind of epidemic of crashes there. BS. It's because tons of people come off Deerfoot where it's 110, and then don't slow down because that glorious flyover lets you maintain speed, and then Stoney is straight and flat for another 2-3km. This one is always a multanova, and never an actual cop to wag his finger at you. Basically a "Welcome to Calgary" tax.

Entering the city from the south end on Mcleod and hitting Legacy. Cops hiding behind the utility box enforcing 80 where it's three lanes and you can see all the way to downtown. Yeah, ok. I've heard of one accident in that area, the one where the drunk concrete drive plowed into a car full of people.

The exit off Deerfoot SB to Southland Dr. Cop hiding behind that big green sign. Oh yeah, you caught me letting my momentum push the vehicle up that hill, and likely saved many lives when there's a pedestrian underpass at the light, and by that time people are slowed down to 10kph because of the traffic coming off the NB exit.

Meanwhile, I lived in a playground zone in Bridlewood for 5 years, with a kid park (that actually had kids playing - right f'ing there), and the jackasses that are coming home from work are zooming down the street every afternoon from 3-6. I notified CPS a few times as I was scared that one day my daughter would get it in her head to cross the street to go to the park without me, but they repeatedly ignored me. Finally, when they did send out a multanova, they put him on the wrong side of the road, at the wrong time of day, did not make enough $$ that day, and replied to me that the place wasn't worth patrolling for them.

Suck a nut, CPS traffic department.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #19
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of my favourites is a playground on Flint Rd. SE. They used to have it right after the shopping plaza, then moved it closer to the intersection with Fairmont Dr. 30 years of driving that road; never saw a single kid playing there. Got stopped some ten or so years ago by one of those young newly-hired traffic cops from UK for driving 38 km/hr. He saw how upset I was about being stopped and, surprisingly, let me go without a ticket. What a joke of a speed zone sign... They should only be used next to un-fenced park and schoolyard areas.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:42 PM   #20
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any opportunity to punish cars and protect pedestrians is fine with me. They should be following Vancouver and making all residential speed limits 30km/h.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post: