Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | RealtorŪ & Property Manager
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Condo to sell renovation suggestions

Figured this would be as good a place to ask the questions as any where.

I am looking to sell my condo in the spring and have decided to replace the carpet and re-paint (I can do this myself as I have done it before).

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to replace (hardwood/laminate, dark/light etc) the carpet with and maybe what paint color to use that would be best to sell.

I live in an end unit in a long U shaped ([) building adjacent to a street. I face West and get a lot of sun.

Here is a rough floor plan of my unit (850 sq feet). (Kitchen, front bathroom, and front area and closet not included).

Blue squares = bedrooms
purple = balcony
black square = livingroom/common area
green = closet
red = bathroom
Brown = breakfast bar (kitchen on other side)
X = where carpet exists
O = tile

Last edited by mykalberta; 12-14-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

What kind of market is this condo in? Low, average, high end? If low or average I would rip out that carpet and throw down a nice laminate floor. If higher end look at real wood options like engineered, cork, or pre-finished hardwood (if allowed by bylaws).

Surferguy's advice is excellent too. I had a west facing condo that had a beech engineered floor, the lighter colour was a lifesaver for not letting dust show up as much in the sunlight compared to what a dark floor would.

Last edited by Bigtime; 12-14-2012 at 09:31 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

west facing = heaps of sun coming in. Dark floors will show dust/footprints if you get direct light on them, assuming you are thinking wood over carpet.

I usually go with warm grey walls and white trim. Its classic and all colors work against that color scheme.

The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've used benjamin moore's cloud white myself in the condo renovation I'm currently working on, as it makes even bright rooms just that much brighter, if you don't use it for the walls, definitely use it for the trim. Makes it pop significantly. Use Matte finish paint if you get benjamin moore, the quality of the paint is good enough where even though it's a flat finish it's still really durable. Plus with the amount of light you get in a west facing window, if you use a gloss, it'll be really shiny, which can be annoying to some people.

Do not use any colours for anything that you do put in other than neutrals and preferably warm neutrals as most buyers can't see the space properly otherwise.

Definitely consider staging the condo as well, as you'll get more interest as people would be able to see what goes where and all that.

Also, if there's any minor damage that can be easily fixed (dings dents etc) try and fix those as well. Mudding is really easy, just a bit time consuming (mainly the sanding). also when you're sanding something, use your fingers to go over what you've sanded as you'll be able to tell if it needs more sanding (a bump) or if you're good to go. Your eyes can miss things, your fingers won't. Also when sanding use a finer grit sand paper (200 or so) as anything less will take off too much and be a pain to get correct.

Last edited by Caged Great; 12-14-2012 at 10:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, in what condition is the bathroom in? does the tub/tiles need replacing? As stupid as it sounds, a minor upgrade there is just as likely to sell the house as doing most of the other stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
What kind of market is this condo in? Low, average, high end? If low or average I would rip out that carpet and throw down a nice laminate floor. If higher end look at real wood options like engineered, cork, or pre-finished hardwood (if allowed by bylaws).

Surferguy's advice is excellent too. I had a west facing condo that had a beech engineered floor, the lighter colour was a lifesaver for not letting dust show up as much in the sunlight compared to what a dark floor would.
Not really sure about the market, based on other sales I am guessing it will go for ~$300K, built in 2001/2002. Its a 20-30 minute walk to downtown from Crescent Heights location.

If I was going to continue living or renting out long term I would go with laminate but I cant carry a condo mortgage and get a 20% downpayment ready for a single family home so the condo has to go.

We are thinking engineered hardwood as its not that expensive and relatively easy to install.

When I have looked around at new-built condos they all have dark hardwood and I assume the people selling new-built know what sells so I might as well take some free advice.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Also, in what condition is the bathroom in? does the tub/tiles need replacing? As stupid as it sounds, a minor upgrade there is just as likely to sell the house as doing most of the other stuff.
Bathroom is in good condition (~10yr old condo). a unique greenish color on the bathroom counter-top but I dont think doing anything there would be worth the money in the long run for me.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Bathroom is in good condition (~10yr old condo). a unique greenish color on the bathroom counter-top but I dont think doing anything there would be worth the money in the long run for me.
I just did spray on granite on my counters and they look fantastic. I believe it was 400-450 per bathroom
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Hey,

I would want to see some pics if you were comfortable putting them up but if it is simply for resale I would do the following:
Dark Laminate= laminate for how affordable it is and dark because it shows better and I hear people comment on darker flooring more often than lighter. The dust/footprints etc will be easy to overcome as you are selling.
I have heard logic behind which direction to lay the flooring. I personally suggest running the lines with the sunlight coming in the window as it has a feeling of letting more sunlight in.

Replacing all carpet to laminate + painting with modern colors such as the gray mentioned above or sand/browns and as a bonus you can replace the baseboards and door trim with a slightly higher end product which is one of my favorite upgrades for how little it costs.

Depending what appliances you have, its super easy to sell black/white appliances as a package to someone and turn around and buy kijiji stainless steel appliances piece by piece. After factoring in the profit from selling the old ones you might only spend a few hundred to get stainless steel in.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

PM sent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am looking at this engineered hardwood mostly because the person helping has done it before. Since its a cement building we are doing it as a floating floor with a bubble sound proof barrier below

I have stainless steel appliances with sort of a lighter wood cabinetry in the kitchen.

hardwood
bubble sound proof barrier
concrete

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/impe...ardwood/905677
Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
I am looking at this engineered hardwood mostly because the person helping has done it before. Since its a cement building we are doing it as a floating floor with a bubble sound proof barrier below

I have stainless steel appliances with sort of a lighter wood cabinetry in the kitchen.

hardwood
bubble sound proof barrier
concrete

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/imperial-walnut-acacia-select-grade-prefinished-uniclic-engineered-hardwood/905677
Are you planning to lay it on an angle like in the photo?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buyer beware on that stuff, I'll say no more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #14
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Check out what Bigtime has to offer for flooring great guy and gave very competitive pricing. Just don't listen to him when he says one truck will be enough!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:

Tags
floor plan , real estate , renovations