Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2020, 07:59 AM   #241
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Thank the fact that they play in the worse division in the NHL with zero elite teams.
The drill down doesn't really support it's a weak division that has Calgary in decent shape though.

They are 7-6-1 against the Pacific

7-6-2 against the Central
5-5-1 against the Metro

and a crazy 7-2-1 against the Atlantic

The Flames haven't made their hay against weak teams. Actually only LA and Anaheim have done worse against the Pacific Division.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #242
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The drill down doesn't really support it's a weak division that has Calgary in decent shape though.

They are 7-6-1 against the Pacific

7-6-2 against the Central
5-5-1 against the Metro

and a crazy 7-2-1 against the Atlantic

The Flames haven't made their hay against weak teams. Actually only LA and Anaheim have done worse against the Pacific Division.
Determining the strength of a division is based on the larger sample size of all games played.

It's likely just coincidental that Calgary has a very good record vs. the stronger Atlantic division.

Unless there is some suggestion that if Calgary was in the Atlantic division they'd be cleaning up?

I have little doubt that if Calgary had more games against better teams that their record would be worse. They give up quite a few more goals than they score (-17), so this has been very much a below average team this year.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #243
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Determining the strength of a division is based on the larger sample size of all games played.

It's likely just coincidental that Calgary has a very good record vs. the stronger Atlantic division.

Unless there is some suggestion that if Calgary was in the Atlantic division they'd be cleaning up?

I have little doubt that if Calgary had more games against better teams that their record would be worse. They give up quite a few more goals than they score (-17), so this has been very much a below average team this year.
The problem with this theory is that the Flames have played more games against above average teams than they have played against below average teams. They have one of the easiest remaining schedules in the league.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:21 AM   #244
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah I'm certainly not extrapolating. But the original thought was that it was amazing that they are where they are given the off seasons from key players. You suggested it was the weak division.

They really haven't gained any advantage in the standings from their division to date.

That was the point ... no?
Old 01-20-2020, 08:22 AM   #245
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
The problem with this theory is that the Flames have played more games against above average teams than they have played against below average teams. They have one of the easiest remaining schedules in the league.
I know that many have said that in the past, but they've been playing (and losing to) a number of below average teams recently.

Has their strength of remaining schedule been updated recently?

To the extent that this is still correct, it bodes well for the Flames to go on a bit of a run.

Edit: I just checked, and found that as of Dec 29, 2019, the Flames had the third easiest schedule remaining. The winning percentage of teams remaining was 54.4%. The middle team was 56.4%, so it's not really a huge difference, and is likely based on the fact that they have more games left vs. their division opponents, which collectively (minus Calgary) come in at 51.6%. Calgary simply has more games than many teams against lesser teams because of the division they play in.

Last edited by The Cobra; 01-20-2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:32 AM   #246
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know that many have said that in the past, but they've been playing (and losing to) a number of below average teams recently.

Has their strength of remaining schedule been updated recently?

To the extent that this is still correct, it bodes well for the Flames to go on a bit of a run.

Edit: I just checked, and found that as of Dec 29, 2019, the Flames had the third easiest schedule remaining. The winning percentage of teams remaining was 54.4%. The middle team was 56.4%, so it's not really a huge difference, and is likely based on the fact that they have more games left vs. their division opponents, which collectively (minus Calgary) come in at 51.6%. Calgary simply has more games than many teams against lesser teams because of the division they play in.
This website updates almost daily:

http://powerrankingsguru.com/nhl/str...f-schedule.php
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 08:35 AM   #247
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Thanks for that. I found one as of Dec 29, 2019 and edited my previous post based on that. I see that the up-to-date one has Calgary now listed at #13, so they have been playing some of those easier games. The percentages aren't really that materially different, so I can see that they can change quite quickly.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:57 AM   #248
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for that. I found one as of Dec 29, 2019 and edited my previous post based on that. I see that the up-to-date one has Calgary now listed at #13, so they have been playing some of those easier games. The percentages aren't really that materially different, so I can see that they can change quite quickly.
They are 13th in toughest played. They are 30th in toughest schedule remaining (it's the table below the one you used).

Big advantage on Vegas, Edmonton and Vancouver are in the 21/22 range.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #249
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

This would be good news if I didn't have the sinking feeling that the Flames aren't going to show up against the teams they should beat.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post: